Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters S Final: Stephen Maguire v Ronnie O'Sull

Postby Blavdes

Nice result but gives us no clues as to how Ron will perform in the final. So far he's played top class and now a little bit erratic, whereas Selby we know will perform solidly to top class and really I think that will be enough for him to win.

Honestly, I just don't like getting too excited before any Ronnie match as when he's in that mood of throwing his cue at every random shot to give frames and matches away it is extremely frustrating.

Postby Andre147

LOL hendry-fan does make from time to time some angry posts <laugh>

Although I agree with him, there are no "weak eras" really, they were different that's all, and if sometimes Hendry and Ronnie's opponents play weak against them it's purely because both those 2 legends of the game earned that status and one could say their opponents are "scared" of them because they know if they miss they will clear up.

Anyway, Ronnie did what he had to do here, and is into a record 10 Masters Final, one more than Hendry, though of course with 2 fewer titles.

Postby TheRocket

First of all well done to Ron, hope he can convert this into a win.

And Hendryfan.

I don't see a comment here, where someone is showing disrespect towards Hendry.
I've seen Hendry in his peak times and for me he is next to Ronnie the best of all times, Hendry is more like a machine and Ronnie the magician.

But apart from that. Even if a Ronnie fan is disrespecting Hendry, you know that Ronnie O'Sullivan is not responsible for that. I think you know that Ronnie said several times that Hendry is the greatest ever. They have huge respect for each other and I think, the fans of them should follow their example.

Postby Blavdes

Andre147 PGC wrote:Therefore I think Mags should seek help of some sort to better cope with his temperament.

Mags said in one of those mid Masters interviews that he 'couldn't put the finger on why' he hadn't been performing like we know he can. It seems pretty clear from the outside that a fitness regime and mental coach would do him the world of good.

Postby TheRocket

Blavdes wrote:Nice result but gives us no clues as to how Ron will perform in the final. So far he's played top class and now a little bit erratic, whereas Selby we know will perform solidly to top class and really I think that will be enough for him to win.

Honestly, I just don't like getting too excited before any Ronnie match as when he's in that mood of throwing his cue at every random shot to give frames and matches away it is extremely frustrating.

That's the problem. I thought after his QF victory against Judd at the Welsh 2012 that he is gonna destroy Selby in the semis but he played one of the worst matches in his career and the standard was a torture.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Blavdes wrote:Nice result but gives us no clues as to how Ron will perform in the final. So far he's played top class and now a little bit erratic, whereas Selby we know will perform solidly to top class and really I think that will be enough for him to win.

That's the problem. I thought after his QF victory against Judd at the Welsh 2012 that he is gonna destroy Selby in the semis but he played one of the worst matches in his career and the standard was a torture.

It was indeed TR, but I don't think it will be a torture this time around.

I too don't know how Ronnie will perform, not even himself knows for that matter, but one thing is for sure: there will be some scrappy and cagey frames that will prove vital in the outcome of the match, and if Selby wins the majority of those he'll win the match I think.

Postby Blavdes

Andre147 PGC wrote:I too don't know how Ronnie will perform, not even himself knows for that matter, but one thing is for sure: there will be some scrappy and cagey frames that will prove vital in the outcome of the match, and if Selby wins the majority of those he'll win the match I think.

<laugh> so true

Snooker Overdrive wrote:For the first time since the 2012 World quarter final, I'm contemplating making an insurance bet. I have to admit, I would be absolutely devastated if Selby beats Ronnie tomorrow, especially if he comes from behind yet again to win another decider.

You know, that sounds like a great idea, especially as i'm sure I just saw on twitter Selby quoted @ 2/1 :dizzy:

Postby Andy Spark

WOW! The final act of a great trilogy awaits us! Long frame format, thank goodness! Mags seemed strangely flat this evening. I think it's one thing to dismiss Ronnie's intimidation factor in short breeze of words before the contest, but quite another to actually face him in the heat of battle, in an event that Ronnie wants to win. :-D

Postby TheRocket

Andre, how big is the chance of Ronnie pulling away you think? Like against Higgins 05 and Ding 07.
Some people say that such a thing is impossible against Selby due to his game but I'm not sure.

The breakbuilding department is as important as anything for tomorrow. Ronnie needs to be clinical, full punishig mode. Just one visit stuff. That's the only way to avoid these long safety battles and frames with Selby.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:Andre, how big is the chance of Ronnie pulling away you think? Like against Higgins 05 and Ding 07.
Some people say that such a thing is impossible against Selby due to his game but I'm not sure.

The breakbuilding department is as important as anything for tomorrow. Ronnie needs to be clinical, full punishig mode. Just one visit stuff. That's the only way to avoid these long safety battles and frames with Selby.

Tomorrow will be Ronnie's toughest task since his world quarter final against Robbo 2 years ago. He needs to be at his absolute best mentally, Selby will throw everything he has at him and will try even harder than he usually does.

Ronnie can't expect Selby to miss easy balls, every department of his game has to be consistently good tomorrow.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Andre, how big is the chance of Ronnie pulling away you think? Like against Higgins 05 and Ding 07.

Tomorrow will be Ronnie's toughest task since his world quarter final against Robbo 2 years ago. He needs to be at his absolute best mentally, Selby will throw everything he has at him and will try even harder than he usually does.

Ronnie can't expect Selby to miss easy balls, every department of his game has to be consistently good tomorrow.

Well's he been doing it most of the week, so what makes you think he'll stop tomorrow.

Postby GJ

As a neutral 2 awful semis tbh

Mags looked back to his best in frame 1 then after that he was back to his petulent child act that he has adopted in recent seasons.

Lets hope the final is dramatic because todays 2 matches were disapppointing for us neutral fans.

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
GJ wrote:As a neutral 2 awful semis tbh

Mags looked back to his best in frame 1 then after that he was back to his petulent child act that he has adopted in recent seasons.

Lets hope the final is dramatic because todays 2 matches were disapppointing for us neutral fans.

Are you neutral tomorrow?

yes completely impartial :hatoff:

i hope for a 10-9 either way :D :D

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Well's he been doing it most of the week, so what makes you think he'll stop tomorrow.

If he does it's a bonus but I'm expecting the worst from Ronnie's perspective.

Postby Andre147

Couldn't agree more, Selby has this tendency that when his opponents don't kill off the frame in 1 or 2 visits he makes it so hard for them to actually win the frame and sometimes it's Selby himself who wins it, even if for instance Ronnie won a long frame after first making a 60 break and odds on to win in that first visit, the fact that he won the frame but not on that visit but much later breaks his natural rythm of play and can break his concentration and focus on the match, and Selby as we know thrives on that.

And yeah like SO said this is Ronnie's biggest test in a long format match since his Worlds 2012 quarter final.

I honestly can't see Ronnie having an easy victory here, just can't. He'll have to be at his best to win because even when Selby isn't playing great his B, C and D game can win him many frames.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:WOW! The final act of a great trilogy awaits us! Long frame format, thank goodness! Mags seemed strangely flat this evening. I think it's one thing to dismiss Ronnie's intimidation factor in short breeze of words before the contest, but quite another to actually face him in the heat of battle, in an event that Ronnie wants to win. :-D

How do you know it's the final act? It might be the third act in a quartet?