Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Semi Final: Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy

Postby Blavdes

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Blavdes wrote:Looks like Selby's tournament to lose atm.

more ronnies to lose i think

I just think that Selby if he meets Ronnie in the final will purposefully try and keep every frame very cagey and slow the game down which will give him the advantage as I doubt Ron will continue to knock in every long red off the break giving him the opportunities to clear up in one.

Postby Andre147

Blavdes wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Blavdes wrote:Looks like Selby's tournament to lose atm.

more ronnies to lose i think

I just think that Selby if he meets Ronnie in the final will purposefully try and keep every frame very cagey and slow the game down which will give him the advantage as I doubt Ron will continue to knock in every long red off the break giving him the opportunities to clear up in one.

I agree, he did that to perfection in their semi-final meeting at the Welsh Open 2012, Selby won 6-2 and every single frame was scrappy and cagey.

Although on the other hand as Skull said against the likes of Ronnie I feel he has to score better, but he probably will because almost every time he faces him he ups his game.

Still, Ronnie has to win his semi against Mags.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Selby was never going to lose this match.

But I'm surprised he started so well. He put Murphy under a lot of pressure in the first couple of frames. Shaun had a great chance to make it 3-1 but it he missed and it was virtually game over. The likes of Ding, Robbo and Ronnie would have taken that chance no doubt.

So just like in 2009 Selby wins his semi comfortably. Only Maguire standing in the way of Selby vs Ronnie PART III.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Selby was never going to lose this match.

But I'm surprised he started so well. He put Murphy under a lot of pressure in the first couple of frames. Shaun had a great chance to make it 3-1 but it he missed and it was virtually game over. The likes of Ding, Robbo and Ronnie would have taken that chance no doubt.

So just like in 2009 Selby wins his semi comfortably. Only Maguire standing in the way of Selby vs Ronnie PART III.

Yeah 3-1 Murphy was still in it and even if Selby had won the match it might have been a lot closer and Murphy doing himself justice. But in fairness like SnookerFan said he's been playing like that for his last 2 matches, was very lucky that Ding missed so many when 4-1 up and against Fu Murphy played better but still nothing spectacular.

But Yeah SO Selby was never gonna lose that match.

Now Ronnie has to win his for a 3rd Masters final showdown between the two.

Postby Roland

I enjoyed it. Selby played 100% perfect snooker up until well ahead in the 3rd frame. He hit every safety absolutely perfect putting the pressure on Shaun, and the telling exchange came when Shaun opened the pack with a thick safety and got a good cue ball only for Selby to knock in a ridiculous red clean as a whistle, find a path through the open reds to leave the white on the baulk cushion (perfect shot to nothing) and rolling up tight to green. Murphy who had opened the reds as a sign of intent suddenly had to play off cushions towards them and try to find a safe spot at that end of the table which was near impossible, he left one and Selby dished with a century.

After that he coasted. Burst out of the blocks like Usain Bolt and eased down from 50m.

The main thing which has happened this week as far as Selby is concerned is that he's been getting off to good starts and today he finally learned how to manage the lead. We're so used to seeing him only starting to play when he's behind, this tournament we've seen him fly off to 4-0 or 3-1 leads and lose focus only finding it again when there's a real threat to him going out of the tournament.

Anyway his form is there, he's hitting the ball better than ever and he's producing sustained bursts of top quality snooker for 3-4 frames in a row when the turbo kicks in. I'm thinking 2014 could well be his year, things are coming together nicely.

Postby Skullman

He didn't really manage the lead. Murphy handed things to him after 4-0 effectively and he picked up the pieces. It wasn't as bad as his post MSI performances against Mavis and Higgisn but he can't expect to get away with it against Ronnie.

Still tomorrow's another day and maybe he can start building up in the season this season instead of petering out at the Worlds.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Sonny will you post here during the final tomorrow?

Yeah,I don't want it to just be me in the Selby camp surrounded by Ronnie fans.

I guess hendry fan and SnookerFan will also support Mark

Yeah, I'll be supporting Mark. :D

Which probably means he'll lose.