Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Final: Neil Robertson v Stephen Maguir

Postby Andre147

Will Mags do a Stevens bottle job from here and lose the match?

I don't think he will, but stranger things have happened and Robbo is well capable of coming back, but unlike Selby for instance who can do that scrapping his way through, I can only see a Robbo comeback if he comes out all guns blazzing from now in.

Postby Skullman

Mags have been wonderfully solid since. Didn't leave many chances for Robbo and played some really good safety and made some good pots and clearances.

Maybe he can give Ronnie a game tomorrow? As long as Ronnie doesn't play like today...[/shamelessoptimism]

Postby hendry_fan

Stephen finaly does it!.

Thouroughly deserved to win,Robbo was rubbish tonight by his standards it has to be said.

Maguire was,nt on fire by any means but he played decent and did,nt crumble this time.

:clap: Well done Stephen!. :clap:

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I think Robbo just wasn't that hungry and motivated here at the Masters after completing the triple crown. After achieving such a massive goal it's sometimes hard to get going again, even if it's the Masters.

A bit surprising for me really. I thought he could at least have reached the semis, but no he didn't found his game at all here and really should have been dumped out in the opening round by Allen.

And I laughed when I think Simplysnooker said Mags would thrash Robbo 6-1 or 6-2 here, I honestly thought that wouldn't happen especially after Robbo's recent record against Mags, but it turns out he was right after all. rofl

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:Well played Maguire outplayed robbo fair play

Yes and I thought it Robbo couldn't play much worse than he did against Allen, but in fact I think he played at an equal level to that. Very strange to see Robbo play like this, but in fairness all the top players can have a day or some days off and Robbo really has spoiled us this season with so many great snooker.

I'm sure he'll comeback stronger after this defeat.

Postby hendry_fan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I think Robbo just wasn't that hungry and motivated here at the Masters after completing the triple crown. After achieving such a massive goal it's sometimes hard to get going again, even if it's the Masters.

COME ON Overdrive,you,re an excellent poster but thats purre drivvel what you,ve just spouted out there,"was,nt that hungry and motivated"!. <laugh>

If a player can,t get motivated for a tourney like the masters then they should quit,it,s the 2nd or 3 Biggie there is!.

Robbo was rubbish for some reason or other,it,s nuthin to do with not bein hungry or not bein motivated!.
Last edited by hendry_fan on 17 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:

COME ON Andre147,you,re an excellent poster but thats purre drivvel what you,ve just spouted out there,"was,nt that hungry and motivated"!. <laugh>

If a player can,t get motivated for a tourney like the masters then they should quit,it,s the 2nd or 3 Biggie there is!.

That wasn't me Hendry-fan, it was SO rofl rofl :wave:

Postby GJ

Andre

True I think he just had an off tournie and it happens to all top players.

He will come back stronger and I hope this will increase his hunger for the next major the worlds.

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 PGC wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:

COME ON Andre147,you,re an excellent poster but thats purre drivvel what you,ve just spouted out there,"was,nt that hungry and motivated"!. <laugh>

That wasn't me Hendry-fan, it was SO rofl rofl :wave:

Yep,my apologies Andre,your also a great poster!,i did just edit it. <ok>

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:Andre

True I think he just had an off tournie and it happens to all top players.

He will come back stronger and I hope this will increase his hunger for the next major the worlds.

I do hope he has a great Worlds, he's one of the few selected players who I think will end his career with multiple Worlds Titles, and in Robbo's case 2 or 3 or even 4, he deserves that with everything he brings to this game.
Last edited by Andre147 on 17 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

Great too see maguire finding some form.

He only seems to deliver in 1 event a season though , hope he finds more consistency

Postby Wildey

Sometimes you play bad that's life Robbo has had an Amazing season Winning the UK and in Wuxi you cant keep that up every time you go out to play that doesn't mean he wasn't motivated because i believe Robbo is motivated to win every tournament he enters.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

hendry_fan wrote:

COME ON Overdrive,you,re an excellent poster but thats purre drivvel what you,ve just spouted out there,"was,nt that hungry and motivated"!. <laugh>

Robbo was rubbish for some reason or other,it,s nuthin to do with not bein hungry or not bein motivated!.

You think I'm an excellent poster? Thanks man. <laugh>

I do think that motivation was the main factor. Many UK Champions, not just Robbo, lose quite early in the Masters. Ding for example in 2010 was completely outplayed 6-1 in the first round after capturing the UK beating Higgins in the final. There are many more examples. Also I'm not saying Robertson didn't want to win, of course he did but he just didn't display his usual intensity. Maguire on the other hand badly wanted to win today, you saw that in every shot.