Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Final: Ricky Walden v Ronnie O'Sulliva

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Playing like this as I said I can only see Selby being able to stop Ronnie, I know Robbo is well capable too but Selby is way more likely, plus when Ronnie plays him and gets an advantage he lets Selby off the hook and often loses from good winning positions.

Anyway, what matters today is this wonderful performance from Ronnie. :hatoff:

Ronnie won't play this well against Selby. He has some sort of mental block that prevents him hitting top form against him.

Hitting top form when in front, because he usually starts well against him. it's in the latter part of their matches that he often takes his foot off the gas and lets Selby make his famous comebacks against him.

think he watches last nights matche between higgins and selby and will be be more careful the next time they meet again. it isnt that he didnt beat selby in high pressure situations (masters 2009, uk 2007).

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I assume Robbo will win today, so it's another Ronnie vs Robbo. Always superb matches between these two. But I'm confident because of their last 2 meeting in the CoC and the World Champs. Ronnie loves playing Neil, he respects him very much and he thrives on the occasion of playing him. Also Ronnie has never lost a semi final here at the Masters before (this will be his 10th semi here).

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the least number of frames a player has conceded in reaching a Masters semi-final?

Ronnie has only lost 1 frame against Milkins.

One. Done by Hendry in 1991, but then again first two matches were best of 9 in those days.

Min frames to final was two by Hendry in 1991, and in the current format with three best of 11s, it's Kendo with three.

Postby Andre147

Muppet147 wrote:If Selby plays the way he did yesterday, Ronnie will thrash him 6-1 or 6-2. Real fans of snooker will appreciate the beating.

He can't thrash him 6-1 or 6-2 because it'll be the Final rofl

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the least number of frames a player has conceded in reaching a Masters semi-final?

Must be another record :hatoff:

Selby usually concedes 10 frames on his way to a Masters semi <laugh>

rofl <ok> Wins all the deciders though.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Must be another record :hatoff:

Selby usually concedes 10 frames on his way to a Masters semi <laugh>

Hey, he's only done that three times! :grrr:

Postby Wildey

Ronnie can Blow anyone away on his day but we know his days varies so much from match to match and keeping that level up isn't easy. but if he does then Selbys and Robbos safeties has to be as tight as a Scotsman's wallet.

yesterday Selbys safeties was not up to scratch.

we talk about Ronnies Mental Block against Selby but the reality is Ronnie holds a 12-7 lead in all matches and its 5-5 in major events.

yes in the last 4 years Selbys record against him is much improved but he has to play better than he is at the moment to stand a chance.

Robbo is the only player that has what it takes to stop Ronnie at the Moment playing like that because Robbo scores and scores heavy.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Should Ronnie play Selby in the final, it would be like 2009 all over again. Selby defending champion playing the World Champion Ronnie. That year Selby also won his first 2 matches 6-5 and Maguire was playing Robbo too.

So we should expect five centuries in a row tonight?

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Should Ronnie play Selby in the final, it would be like 2009 all over again. Selby defending champion playing the World Champion Ronnie. That year Selby also won his first 2 matches 6-5 and Maguire was playing Robbo too.

Coincidences, and if you believe in patterns like Skull does then.. :-D :wave:

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:Ronnie can Blow anyone away on his day but we know his days varies so much from match to match and keeping that level up isn't easy. but if he does then Selbys and Robbos safeties has to be as tight as a Scotsman's wallet.

yesterday Selbys safeties was not up to scratch.

we talk about Ronnies Mental Block against Selby but the reality is Ronnie holds a 12-7 lead in all matches and its 5-5 in major events.

yes in the last 4 years Selbys record against him is much improved but he has to play better than he is at the moment to stand a chance.

Robbo is the only player that has what it takes to stop Ronnie at the Moment playing like that because Robbo scores and scores heavy.

hope your right mate :D :hatoff:

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 PGC wrote:Don't know if TR watched this live or not, but he'll surely be more than happy with this masterclass from Ronnie :hatoff: :-D

I did. Stream was not really well but I saw it. :-D It was pure genius, he's the only player on the planet and the only player who ever picked up a cue, who could do that.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:

You know I just put those up for jokes, right? I don't actually believe that they'll come true.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

:-D Yes

And all of them from Maguire

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

You know I just put those up for jokes, right? I don't actually believe that they'll come true.

I know, but you do mention them a lot though for someone who doesn't think they'll become true and just as jokes <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:

:-D Yes

And all of them from Maguire

Would be nice wouldn't it... Robbo getting a taste of his own medicine with an opponent outscoring him this season...

Postby GJ

If Maguire wins we are nailed on to have 2 one sided semis imo

He has no belief v ronnie and murphy isnt far behind in terms of lacking belief v selby.

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Make no mistake, tomorrow is a very different day and even Ronnie won't be able to play like this every match. But he's in good form I think and he pretty much owns Robbo over the longer formats.

we shall see <cool>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Make no mistake, tomorrow is a very different day and even Ronnie won't be able to play like this every match. But he's in good form I think and he pretty much owns Robbo over the longer formats.

we shall see <cool>

I'm just stating facts, GJ. Robbo never beat Ronnie in a match longer than best of 9. But Ronnie had to work extremely hard for every single victory. Robbo is one of the most dangerous opponents imaginable but he doesn't get under Ronnie's skin fortunately.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:

we shall see <cool>

Yeah, that can change anytime, but if he faces Robbo he respects him a lot, always plays well against him and if he loses it won't be for lack of trying, make no mistake Ronnie's come here to win this tourney so only a good performance from his opponent can stop him I think.

Postby TheRocket

Selbys scoring atm is not there like it's used to be. When he made these comebacks against Ronnie, he scored heavily but atm he primarily relies on his safety game and mental strength. But this alone won't be enough against a heavy scoring O'Sullivan.

Ronnie can blow anyone away when he's playing like that. He even destroyed Higgins in two Masters finals and Higgins was playing good in these matches. For me, everything really depends on Ronnie now. For me he is the best player anyway but would be nice of course if this results in the Masters victory.

Postby Andre147

Yeah you're right TR, Selby had some pretty heavy scoring back then when he was making those comebacks against Ronnie in big tourneys, but like Skull said Ronnie is not gonna play like this against Selby because he has a mental block against him.

Although I too agree if Selby and Ronnie reach the final, Selby won't get away with sloppy safeties and has to score.

Postby TheRocket

You know what I was thinking all the time. I always notice that whenever Ronnie plays players like Higgins and Selby he change his natural game and tries to be more professional if you like. IMO he should try to play his full natural game like today and against Milkins. Attacking, scoring and killing off the frames quickly. It surely suits him more. If he drops into safety battles, he automatically loses his feeling for the scoring.

I mean, even the great allrounder Higgins looked disgusted during the safety battles in the decider. Selby can play this game for 10 hours, Ronnie don't.