Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Quarter Final: Mark Selby v John Higgins

Postby Andre147

Higgins really looked like he meant business in that first frame, but since then it has been the John Higgins of the last 2 years.

My early bold prediction:

If he doesn't draw level this frame, Selby wins the match.

Still early I know, but I reckon he badly needs it if he's to remain in contention.

Postby TheRocket

Strong break by Selby. Can't see John Higgins coming back from here. Unfortunately. I want to see him back at his best , I really like him as character and as a player. But no matter what'll happen in the future. He is a legend and one of the greatest players who picked up a cue.

Postby hendry_fan

I feel Higgins has already missed the boat,he certainly had chances though.

As Andre147 pointed out,it,s chances like that,that he would of taken when he was on the top of his game,the amount of times he used to hoover up was incredible,but no one of course can keep that kind of form going forever,the plunge is inevitable. :-(
Last edited by hendry_fan on 16 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Strong break by Selby. Can't see John Higgins coming back from here. Unfortunately. I want to see him back at his best , I really like him as character and as a player. But no matter what'll happen in the future. He is a legend and one of the greatest players who picked up a cue.

Absolutely, no matter how bad he plays, he'll always be one of the greatest ever.

As I said earlier too, can't see Higgins coming back. He would have to play his best snooker of the season to win this match in my opinion now because I don't think Selby will allow him to win many more frames and certainly won't make the same mistakes he did against Davis when 5-2 up.

Still, I don't want a runaway victory from Selby and hope Higgins puts up some fight at least.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:astonihsing that only ronnie can fight for majors from the golden generation (williams, higgins). even hendry had his problems at the age of williams and higgins.

Hendry starting having problems after he turned 30

Hendry had all his best snooker in his 20s, Ronnie we can describe him as a late developer and age doesn't seem to be a problem with him yet, of course it will in 2 or 3 years time, it's inevitable I'm afraid.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:Strong break by Selby. Can't see John Higgins coming back from here. Unfortunately. I want to see him back at his best , I really like him as character and as a player. But no matter what'll happen in the future. He is a legend and one of the greatest players who picked up a cue.

Even though he's Ronnie's arch nemesis, I fully agree. It's a shame seeing him unable to perform the way he used to. At his best he was the most dangerous player I have ever seen.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:astonihsing that only ronnie can fight for majors from the golden generation (williams, higgins). even hendry had his problems at the age of williams and higgins.

Hendry had all his best snooker in his 20s, Ronnie we can describe him as a late developer and age doesn't seem to be a problem with him yet, of course it will in 2 or 3 years time, it's inevitable I'm afraid.

I don't know if "late developer" is the right description for the youngest ranking event winner in snooker history <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I don't know if "late developer" is the right description for the youngest ranking event winner in snooker history <laugh>

You're right, I mean late developer as an all round player, because let's be fair he only really started using the safety side of the game when Reardon coached him back in 2004 on his way to the Worlds triumph.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

You're right, I mean late developer as an all round player, because let's be fair he only really started using the safety side of the game when Reardon coached him back in 2004 on his way to the Worlds triumph.

yeah, but why williams and higgins are declining faster than ronnie, they both are equally talented in my opinion. You cant tell me that ronnie is more dedicated than these two.

Postby Skullman

masterdoctorgenius wrote:yeah, but why williams and higgins are declining faster than ronnie, they both are equally talented in my opinion. You cant tell me that ronnie is more dedicated than these two.

Luck? Random genetic factors? Fitness?

Postby hendry_fan

Even if Higgins was indeed to plunge further down the rankings and fall off the radar in the next year(s),he has already cemented his status as being of one the greatest ever snooker players,Just like Davis,Hendry,Williams Ronnie have.

What some forget is that,ok,Hendry might have stopped winning titles the last good few years he played but even up until the age of 43 he still played some very high standard snooker and only really had problems beating the top 8 and was still capable of reaching some latter stages in tourneys.He also still managed to knock in century breaks and he even got to the 1/4 finals of the world championships at the age of 43 + also shot a *147* at the age of 43.

I,ve said it before,it,ll be very intrestin to see how long Ronnie can keep his good standard of play going and It,ll be intrestin to see how Ronnie plays when he gets to his 40+,s.

Higgins me thinks won,t be able to keep playing to a decent/high level as long as Hendry did,but i could be wrong,we,ll just have to wait n see.

Postby Blavdes

I guess many reasons go into why someone can perform at their peak way longer than most others but with Ronnie I think many people underestimate his mental strength. Of course he's had more meltdowns than anyone else but he's also had to overcome more than anyone else and still continues to come roaring back.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Skullman wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:yeah, but why williams and higgins are declining faster than ronnie, they both are equally talented in my opinion. You cant tell me that ronnie is more dedicated than these two.

1 Fitness. Ronnie is in great shape. Williams and Higgins not so much.

2 Talent. Ronnie is a genius.

3 Dedication. Ronnie can be a hard worker when he wants to. Trains hard, works on his long game etc.
Last edited by Holden Chinaski on 16 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

Blavdes wrote:I guess many reasons go into why someone can perform at their peak way longer than most others but with Ronnie I think many people underestimate his mental strength. Of course he's had more meltdowns than anyone else but he's also had to overcome more than anyone else and still continues to come roaring back.

I still think, it's the natural talent + better fitness. He is born to play Snooker. He can make 80+ breaks in a couple of minutes and it doesn't take any effort. That's make it a lot easier for you, when you're not at your peak anymore. Higgins has to work harder.

Postby GJ

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:

1 Fitness. Ronnie is in great shape. Williams and Higgins not so much.

2 Talent. Ronnie is a genius.

3 Dedication. Ronnie can be a hard worker when he wants to. Trakns hard, works on his long game etc.

I agree fitness is a key ingredient for older players if they want to keep playing at a high level <ok>

Postby masterdoctorgenius

TheRocket wrote:
Blavdes wrote:I guess many reasons go into why someone can perform at their peak way longer than most others but with Ronnie I think many people underestimate his mental strength. Of course he's had more meltdowns than anyone else but he's also had to overcome more than anyone else and still continues to come roaring back.

I still think, it's the natural talent + better fitness. He is born to play Snooker. He can make 80+ breaks in a couple of minutes and it doesn't take any effort. That's make it a lot easier for you, when you're not at your peak anymore. Higgins has to work harder.

think ronnie is genius. simple as that. Hehehe