Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Quarter Final: Mark Selby v John Higgins

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:In 2012 Selby lost to Murphy in the quarters, so Shaun is one player of a very small group who beat Selby at the Masters.

Can't imagine a repeat. Selby was on a bad patch then. Murphy doesn't have the tactical nous to beat him.

It would surprise me as well. But I also thought Murphy would lose to Ding. And to Fu. So he is not to be underestimated.

As TR rightly said though, there have to be many more fluent frames than scrappy ones, because Murphy can't touch Selby in the safety department.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Selby is seriously challenging Ronnie's and even Hendry's Masters record. He's just doing so well here. But why can't he perform like this in the Crucible since 2010?

Long formats are a diferent ball game really. I agree it's a bit strange, but I'm sure he'll perform better there in the future.

Unless he faces Hawkins rofl

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Selby is seriously challenging Ronnie's and even Hendry's Masters record. He's just doing so well here. But why can't he perform like this in the Crucible since 2010?

I don't see how he can keep up this sort of play over the 17 days marathon that is the Crucible. Last year he seemed genuinely burnt out (well since around Berlin he looked off). He needs to find some rest time and refind his old breakbuilding game that allowed him to make four or five tons a match.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

I don't see how he can keep up this sort of play over the 17 days marathon that is the Crucible. Last year he seemed genuinely burnt out (well since around Berlin he looked off). He needs to find some rest time and refind his old breakbuilding game that allowed him to make four or five tons a match.

So you're saying at the moment his style is too draining to maintain this level of intensity over more than a week?

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Well I don't see how he can do it for sixteen sessions.

So will he never be World Champ?

I agree his style of play may be draining so I honestly don't know if he'll ever be World Champ.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:

I agree his style of play may be draining so I honestly don't know if he'll ever be World Champ.

I didn't say that. I'm just saying that he needs his A game to win matches some matches easily. I think one or two matches like that would be acceptable but imagine if he has to battle from the last 16 onwards. He'd be knackered midway through the semis, never the mind the final.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:Skull answer me this please:

Why does everyone outside here keeps saying Selby has now won 10/10 deciders? it's 11/11 right?

Yes. I don't where they're miscounting a match. I even left comments on inside snooker that they were one short.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

I didn't say that. I'm just saying that he needs his A game to win matches some matches easily. I think one or two matches like that would be acceptable but imagine if he has to battle from the last 16 onwards. He'd be knackered midway through the semis, never the mind the final.

Yeah I agree, he needs to win matches with more ease and find his A game like in the 2009 Worlds (he lost in the quarters to Higgins 12-13 having made 5 tons in that match) so that he has much more mental energy left.

Postby Wildey

its called Will to Win and Selby has it but your right he needs to find a more consistent level of play Grinding or Break-building.

Tonight for most parts Mark Selby was a load of rubbish his safeties was all to cockerel and scoring was all over the place his highest break in the decider was 18.

Postby snooker_loopy

One of the most exciting final frames I've seen in a long time. Selby's snooker using screw to slow down the white and hide behind the colour - one of the best ever. His blue double was fantastic too. Had he missed the blue it was likely to be game over.

The final frame was the perfect showcase of snooker - the strategy, the great pots, the misses, the positional play and the tension. :happy:

Postby masterdoctorgenius

think higgins gets his own medicine nowadays

what he supposed to do to others especially against williams and ronnie, is now done against him which is fair

his choke reminded me a bit of ronnies two chokes against selby at the masters final 2010 und the welsh open final 08. he had in both chances to win. at the welsh he had a helaty lead in the penumaltie frame but somehow lost position on a red.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Selby is a good player and proper grinder, but he is nowhere near the level of Higgins , Williams and Ronnie in their prime. When those guys were young they were winning matches by blowing their opponents off the table with their talent, not by wearing them down with scrappy frames. Thats why they are multiple world champions.A young Higgins would have won the match. Not trying to be negative or anti Selby, but the standard is not what it used to be when we had Ronnie, Williams, Higgins in their prime and also talents like Paul Hunter. Not to mention the great Stephen Hendry, wo would have kept Selby in his seat.Yesterdays match was good to watch because of the drama, but lets face it, that was not high quality snooker like it should be.

That being said, I have to say Selby is one of the strongest players ever in the mental department and at winning scrappy frames. He's also a fantastic safety player. But I like to watch big breaks with great pots and clever position play, like Ronnie does.

Even Mark Williams said Ronnie is the only player he likes to watch now.

Postby Skullman

Holden Chinaski wrote:Selby is a good player and proper grinder, but he is nowhere near the level of Higgins , Williams and Ronnie in their prime. When those guys were young they were winning matches by blowing their opponents off the table with their talent, not by wearing them down with scrappy frames. Thats why they are multiple world champions.A young Higgins would have won the match. Not trying to be negative or anti Selby, but the standard is not what it used to be when we had Ronnie, Williams, Higgins in their prime and also talents like Paul Hunter. Not to mention the great Stephen Hendry, wo would have kept Selby in his seat.Yesterdays match was good to watch because of the drama, but lets face it, that was not high quality snooker like it should be.

That being said, I have to say Selby is one of the strongest players ever in the mental department and at winning scrappy frames. He's also a fantastic safety player. But I like to watch big breaks with great pots and clever position play, like Ronnie does.

Even Mark Williams said Ronnie is the only player he likes to watch now.

Selby used to have a lot more firepower himself. Don't forget when he first won the Masters he blew Stephen Lee away 10-3 with 4 tons. Seems like those days are behind him though :sad: