Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Build up Discussion !!!!

Postby simplysnooker

SnookerFan wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Picked up an All Day ticket when they were selling them at half price in the Summer for Monday, second visit to the Ally Pally for the snooker. Went there for the darts last month which was a cracking day out

I must confess I'm not sold on the Ally Pally, but the only thing I've ever been to there is the snooker.

Is the darts in a different hall to the snooker?

Think its the same but don't hold me on that, didn't go to the Wembley Arena or Conference Centre, been told by many that they were much better than Ally Pally.

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:
Think its the same but don't hold me on that, didn't go to the Wembley Arena or Conference Centre, been told by many that they were much better than Ally Pally.

I only went to Wembley Conference once, but remember it being good.

Wembley Arena was a bit twiddle. Maybe Ally Pally is a bit better, but there's not much in it. Both had pros and cons.

Postby SnookerFan

I must say, most of the matches look interesting this year. I remember last year thinking there weren't too many decent matches in the first round. This year, there all hard to predict. (Except maybe Ronnie vs Milkins.)

Re: Dafabet Masters Build up and General Discussion !!!!

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Actually, I think Trump's assessment of Selby is pretty much spot on. Mark's break building and scoring standards dropped over the last couple of years. Also Judd emphasizes that Selby nonetheless is one of the very best players in the World.

Trump's Break building and Scoring powers not to mention all Round game has dropped.

it doesn't Matter as long as you still give yourself chance to win tournaments and do it.

Over the last couple of years Selby has been more successful than Judd Trump so what does that tell us about Trump?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Actually, I think Trump's assessment of Selby is pretty much spot on. Mark's break building and scoring standards dropped over the last couple of years. Also Judd emphasizes that Selby nonetheless is one of the very best players in the World.

Trump's Break building and Scoring powers not to mention all Round game has dropped.

it doesn't Matter as long as you still give yourself chance to win tournaments and do it.

Over the last couple of years Selby has been more successful than Judd Trump so what does that tell us about Trump?

Agreed. But the point was that Trump's statement about Selby is pretty accurate.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Agreed. But the point was that Trump's statement about Selby is pretty accurate.

Although it says something that Mark has somehow managed to be more successful whilst being a worse breakbuilder and scorer. Not sure what it says but it says something.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Although it says something that Mark has somehow managed to be more successful whilst being a worse breakbuilder and scorer. Not sure what it says but it says something.

It says Selby is a world class competitor while scoring below par compared to the other top players like Ding, Robertson, Ronnie and even Bingham or Fu recently.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:Well considering that Judd has criticised Mark's standard while praising his temperment, one must assume that the reason for Judd having less success is that he mentally weak :|

That's what it suggests, isn't it? Judd basically is admitting that he beats himself up too much for missing shots.

Selby should ignore him.

Postby Wildey

i Rate Selby's Breakbuilding behind only Ronnie and Ding in the way he constructs breaks his safety even when playing poor is the best at the moment so im really struggling to find a category where Selby isnt in the top 5 in.

every player goes through dips in form and misses easy balls and even selby going through that sort of dip in form he is still in the top 5 easy.

In the one year list Selby in 3rd place behind Robbo and Ding is over 4,000 points ahead of 4th place Marco Fu and 15,000 points ahead of Trump in 36th place.

i bet Judd would love to have the same dip in form as Selby is going through with £156,000 in earnings this season.

Postby Blavdes

Judd stirring things up in the media is good for the game, I doubt that's the popular with the purists but it's what the game needs imo. The penny has probably dropped, he must be feeling great in his game to put that extra pressure on himself so I expect he'll be challenging for a few titles this year.

Postby Skullman

Wildey wrote:i Rate Selby's Breakbuilding behind only Ronnie and Ding in the way he constructs breaks his safety even when playing poor is the best at the moment so im really struggling to find a category where Selby isnt in the top 5 in.

every player goes through dips in form and misses easy balls and even selby going through that sort of dip in form he is still in the top 5 easy.

In the one year list Selby in 3rd place behind Robbo and Ding is over 4,000 points ahead of 4th place Marco Fu and 15,000 points ahead of Trump in 36th place.

i bet Judd would love to have the same dip in form as Selby is going through with £156,000 in earnings this season.

Maybe when he's at his best. This season and last his breakbuilding's been poor (or at least positional play's been poor).

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
Wildey wrote:i Rate Selby's Breakbuilding behind only Ronnie and Ding in the way he constructs breaks his safety even when playing poor is the best at the moment so im really struggling to find a category where Selby isnt in the top 5 in.

Maybe when he's at his best. This season and last his breakbuilding's been poor (or at least positional play's been poor).

but that's dip in form not his inability to breakbuild.

last season Judd made 61 centuries i wouldn't have put him in the top 10 breakbuilders last season hes a great potter that kept breaks going with spectacular pots a great breakbuilder keeps the cueball on a string not a bunge.

Postby Andre147

I agree Judd is nowhere near the level of breakbuilding Selby has, because the great breakbuilders we often see keep things simple because that have such an excelent control of the cue ball, know when to correctly open up the pack of reds, that sort of thing. Ding, Ronnie, Hendry, Higgins, Selby and even Davis, though in a diferent era, know full well how to do it and it shows. Though I mjst disagree on the Robbo case because he has indeed improved his breakbuilidng so much in the last couple of years, and I'm not just saying this given his recent tons, I'm saying it because he now has a much better control of the cue ball and often hits big breaks after big breaks. And on this matter a word too has to go for Fu, who for me too when on song has one of the best controlled cue balls in a break.

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Judd Trump v Marco Fu

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 PGC wrote:What's Ronnie's fact then?

In The Masters programme, it gives you a Fascinating Fact for each player in the tournament.

Here is Ronnie O'Sullivan's.

Ronnie's girlfriend is the actress Laila Rouass, who has appeared in Footballer's Wives and Spooks.

That's quite interesting, despite the fact I've never heard of her.