Post a reply

Who do you want to win each of the first round matches?

Postby SnookerFan

Same as we've done in previous tournaments, who do you want to win each first round match? This thread is not for you to predict who you think will win, but just for you to say who you will be rooting for in each first round match.

Bold each player you want to win, then put a very brief description of why. Here's my list.

Mark Selby vs Mark Davis - I don't know why, as it will be a bigger deal for Mavis to be there than Selby, and at Mavis' age you can't guarantee he'll be there many more times. I just kind of want Selby, as I like him slightly better and think he'll be more dangerous later on in the tournament.

Stuart Bingham vs John Higgins - I'd usually root for Higgins, but I think Bingham is criminally underrated despite recent achievements. Would a run in a prestigious top-16 only tournament change that?

Judd Trump vs Marco Fu - Judd is a bit of a div, and I don't want to listen to the commentators talk about his shoes all tournament. Also, Fu winning would set up a potential All-Asian match in the next round.

Ding Junhui vs Shaun Murphy - The All-Asian match stays alive, and I like Ding more than Murphy.

Neil Robertson vs Mark Allen - Mark Allen is a idiot.

Stephen Maguire vs Joe Perry - I don't like Mags much, and Joe Perry is a gentleman. :hatoff:

Barry Hawkins vs Ricky Walden Probably Walden, but for no real reason. I like them both. Hawkins won The Crucible semi-final, so might be nice to see Walden win this one.

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Robert Milkins Tend not to be a fan of Ronnie. Unlikely though it is, it would be nice to see the Milkman get revenge for the UKs. Also, Ronnie took liberties in the German Qualifiers, so it'd be nice to see that come back and hit him in the nads.

Re: Who do you want to win each of the first round matches?

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Selby v m Davis, selby because davis keeps beating Higgins. :)

Bingham v Higgins, Higgins for me, hope his form kicks back in and gets a run. If not I'll be rooting for Bingham all the way.

Trump v fu. Trump, it's about time that boy got his head out his bottom and started winning more.

Ding v Murphy, Murphy. Don't like ding much and quite like smurph. That's about it.

Robbo v Allen tough for me as I'm not a fan of either. Allen is indeed a idiot so ill go for the camp commander.

Mags v perry mags cause he's Scottish and I'm still hoping hel show the potential he promised us at the start of his career.

Hawkins v walden . Meh don't care about this one.

Ronnie v Milkins. Ronnie, I want ronnie in the final and to closley lose it to Higgins (unlikely) or selby (more likely).

Postby Andre147

Here's my personal choices then:

Mark Selby vs Mark Davis - I'll go with Selby here for the same reason I'll state below, because I want him to meet Higgins in the quarters as they haven't played each other for a while and both have such similar playing styles, I enjoy the matches between them-

Stuart Bingham vs John Higgins - Normally I'd go for Bingo all the way here because right now he's definately a top 5 player in my book and because he's playing Higgins, but as I said above I want Higgins to meet Selby in the quarter-finals. If that happens I reckon Selby will beat him given Higgins's recent form, but their matches are usually top quality stuff, both scoring and excelent safety play.

Judd Trump vs Marco Fu - Never really liked Judd and here I'll root for Fu all the way. That's who I want to win, but in fairness I think Judd will beat him, unless Fu brings his A game to the table when competing against the top players, which we all know that when he does that he's very hard to stop.

Ding Junhui vs Shaun Murphy - I really can't pick a favourite here, like them both, and if in one hand I want the all Asian clash in the next round, in the other hand I think Murphy is due a good run in a tourney as he hasn't had one for a while and lacks confidence at the moment. Just slightly favour Ding a tad, nothing more.

Neil Robertson vs Mark Allen - Again can't pick an outright favourite, love their playing styles and to watch them play, but Allen is also due a good run in a tournament and Robbo winning the UK in a way may work against him in this match. Whoever wins though I'll be happy.

Stephen Maguire vs Joe Perry - Not really fussed about this one, probably Mags but don't care much really.

Barry Hawkins vs Ricky Walden - A repeat of their Worlds semi clash last season, i'll slightly favour Hawkins for this one as I think he will at some in the season start playing the way he did at the Worlds, and it may start here in the Masters, and also because a repeat of the Worlds final would be tasty.

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Robert Milkins - Obviously Ronnie, but I kind of agree with SnookerFan when he refered the German Masters qualifiers and Ronnie's antics in a way he deserves that to backfire on him, but I honestly think Ronnie will have a totally diferent mindset in this tourney which he hasn't won for a while back in 09 and also because of their recent UK meeting. I don't think we'll see another whitewash again though. I would like Ronnie to have an approach to this tournament similar to the one he had at the CoC when he won it, the draw favours him here so he has every chance of at least a semis place.

Postby Skullman

Mark Selby v Dark Mavis: Do I really need to explain this one? Anyway, Selby getting to the latter stages and playing well is better for the tournament than if Mavis did the same, no offense to Dark.

Stuart Bingham v John Higgins : I think Higgins is one of the best players ever, even if he’s not as good as he was. Plus I like the way he plays the game when he’s at his best. Plus it could be a cracking match if he wins. Don’t think I’ve ever seen them play each, although I know they have in the past.

Judd Trump v Marco Fu : Judd’s a bell end and he’s not even that great to watch anymore. Plus I like Marco.

Ding Junhui v Shaun Murphy : Nothing against Ding, and I wouldn’t mind too much if he won, because it’d be a good match between him and the winner of Trump v Fu, but Smurph is due a run at some point.

Neil Robertson v Mark Allen: I think Allen’s a idiot and Robbo is my second favourite player. Wonder who I’d want to win? :chin: Plus I’d like Selby to have revenge for the UK…

Stephen Maguire v Joe Perry: Like Mags more, think his game is better to watch and I think he’d put up a better fight against the winner of Allen v Robbo.

Barry Hawkins v Ricky Walden: Nothing against Barry, just like Ricky more.

Ronnie O’Sullivan v Robert Milkins: Ronnie can be a real bell and after his performance in the German Masters, I almost feel like he doesn't deserve to do well here. That said, I can’t bring myself to feel anything other than complete and utter apathy for Milkins, and I wouldn’t say no to a ROS v Robbo semi and possibly even a third Selby v ROS final.

Postby Muppet147

Mark Selby v Mark Davis: Will be good to see Selby lose again and he usually doesn't fair well against slow mechanical players like Davis and Hawkins.

Stuart Bingham v John Higgins : Higgins is a disgrace and should have been banned for years. Therefore Bingham.

Judd Trump v Marco Fu : Trump is an entertaining player who can light up the tournament.

Ding Junhui v Shaun Murphy: Ding all the way. He could even win the tournament.

Neil Robertson v Mark Allen: The two least likeable players on the tour. It is a shame one of them has to win. But I suppose Robertson would be my preferred choice. Both will be doing gay fist pumps to celebrate their minor achievements each frame.

Stephen Maguire v Joe Perry: Maguire is due a big win.

Barry Hawkins v Ricky Walden: Hawkins is a plodder but I quite like him - especially when he thrashes Selby.

Ronnie O’Sullivan v Robert Milkins: Ronnie is obviously the best player in the tournament and, when his mind is right, the best to watch.