Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Last 128 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:Anyone noticed that it says "Qualifying - Rnd1"

Isn't qualifying something done a few days before the tournament goes to a venue? ;-)

in my book any tournament that starts in a flat 128 has no qualifying rounds.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Looks Sean has levelled from 0-4 against Hamilton. Good job, but still two more frames to get.

great performance but the job far from done

go on sean <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Anyone noticed that it says "Qualifying - Rnd1"

Isn't qualifying something done a few days before the tournament goes to a venue? ;-)

in my book any tournament that starts in a flat 128 has no qualifying rounds.

Particularly when at the Venue.

How many "qualifying rounds" are there to be? Televised Qualifiers makes a change ;-)

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 26th of November

1.30pm

Sports Hall
Jamie Jones 0-6 Gary Wilson
Dominic Dale 5-6 Vinnie Calabrese
Anthony Hamilton 4-6 Sean O'Sullivan
Tom Ford 2-6 Noppon Saengkham

7.30pm

Sports Hall
Xiao Guodong v Andrew Pagett streamed
Mark Joyce v Jamie O'Neill
Fergal O'Brien v Alex Davies
Mark King v Ross Muir streamed

Postby Roland

Chuffed for Vinnie and Sean, a couple of great results there.

I've heard that a couple of higher ranked players who lost have referred to today as a pro-am. Gotta feel for them playing on the first day of a 13 days event and going out way before it gets on tv, but that's the way it is these days.

I really hope the seeded structure will remain for the World Championships for years to come though. Can't imagine a flat 128 Worlds.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:Chuffed for Vinnie and Sean, a couple of great results there.

I've heard that a couple of higher ranked players who lost have referred to today as a pro-am. Gotta feel for them playing on the first day of a 13 days event and going out way before it gets on tv, but that's the way it is these days.

I really hope the seeded structure will remain for the World Championships for years to come though. Can't imagine a flat 128 Worlds.

Whilst I do think its a tad disrespectful. I don't think I can particularly blame them.

Like I said last night it certainly seems a lot more crammed in with the race on to get through the first 120 matches as fast they can. The status these matches seem to have on the stream as "qualifying" doesn't help either

They would have been better to leave this well alone this year, Having the last 32 onwards played at the finals - see how the Welsh gets on before trying the 128 all in at the venue for this event.

Still plenty of time to be proven wrong

Postby snooker loopy

Firstly, it's not a pro-am, the only reason we have amateurs competing is because 12 fellow professionals decided not to treat this event with the dignity it deserves and enter. Although maybe these rounds should have been staged a month ago in some large hall in one day. Or the very top players should have been given byes in place of the pros who didn't turn up to avoid the ridiculous scenario of Saturday's last 128s and provide a really good incentive for staying high in the rankings.

Postby Roland

Given there are officially 133 players in the rankings, who are the absentees? There must be 10.

Off the top of my head:

Stephen Hendry
Stephen Lee
Steve Davis
Passakorn Suwannawat
Igor from Brazil

who else?

Postby Witz78

Its a bit farcial that this, the so called 2nd biggest ranker of the year has no coverage on even say Eurosport all week yet every PTC and ten bob tourney gets shown.

Im in favour of the flat 128 and in use here and eventually at the Worlds but the way there going about the UK is all wrong. Tournaments should start with a bang, not a whimper.

So in that sense, these games do feel like qualifiers.

Postby Skullman

Sonny wrote:Given there are officially 133 players in the rankings, who are the absentees? There must be 10.

Off the top of my head:

Stephen Hendry
Stephen Lee
Steve Davis
Passakorn Suwannawat
Igor from Brazil

who else?

Hossein Ayouri, Iranian pro who got qualified last year and still doesn't have his visa.
Jin Long and Shi Hanqing, Chinese pros who only seem to enter APTCs for some reason, maybe visas?
Khalid Beleid, Libyan pro who got his card confirmed after the deadline for the UK I think. May also have visa problems.
Mohammed Khairy who hasn't entered the few events I think. Maybe he's given up, because, no offense to him, he's hopelessly outclassed by just about everyone on tour and most of the better amateurs as well.
Ben Judge who's definitely given up on his tour card.