Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Last 128 Discussion !!

Postby Witz78

Cheers for the heads up on the Jimmy docu

was looking forward to this then totally forgot, what with watching the footy tonight but have set the recorder and will watch it tonight too.

Sure well have seen all the footage before but cant beat reliving some of the classic footage and banana shots. An emotional rollercoaster this will be id imagine with his cancer scare, world title heartache, various demons, death of Alex etc but Jimmys a battler.

Postby Witz78

Yeh it was good, enjoyed the fact a lot of it was talking as opposed to endless footage weve seen before.

Was quite good the overlaps between old interviews and his present day thoughts.

Hard not to feel a bit sorry for him though.

And the clips of the really young Hendry near the end are class, especially the one of him getting out of a Mercedes. He didn't even look legal to drive back then.

That miss on the black in the 94 final never gets any easier to watch nearly 20 years later though. I still find myself praying Hendry will miss one of the easy reds when he gets to the table.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:What a difference a year makes.

This time last year I saw Joyce shock Trump in York in the arena and on tv. Now hes unceremoniously pumped out by a journeyman long before the tournament really "starts"

tournament started today.

you been crying out for flat 128 and now it doesn't count as start of the tournament :dizzy:

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 26th of November

7.30pm

Sports Hall
Xiao Guodong 6-1 Andrew Pagett
Mark Joyce 2-6 Jamie O'Neill
Fergal O'Brien 6-2 Alex Davies
Mark King 6-1 Ross Muir

Postby Witz78

Wildey wrote:

This time last year I saw Joyce shock Trump in York in the arena and on tv. Now hes unceremoniously pumped out by a journeyman long before the tournament really "starts"

tournament started today.

you been crying out for flat 128 and now it doesn't count as start of the tournament :dizzy:

didn't you notice the " and the " ?

Its tongue in cheek but as I said earlier, for this the 2nd biggest ranker of the year, of course i'm not against a flat 128 but the organisation and structure should have been far better so this tournament hit the ground running from the off.

Postby Witz78

snooker loopy wrote:This means the day passes us with the following last 64 matches:

Gary Wilson v Vinnie Calabrese
Sean O'Sullivan v Noppom Saengkham
Xiao Guodong v Jamie O'Neill
Mark King v Fergal O'Brien

the pros of the flat 128 system already evident as hardly have expected a lot of the players in the top 3 matches to emerge from the minefield of the old tiered qualifying.

Trust me Wild, the deadwood will be weeded out. Today gave me in (and with it being in a longer format too)

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 27th of November

9.30am

Sports Hall
Andrew Higginson v Hammad Miah streamed
David Gilbert v Li Hang
Michael White v Joe Swail
Marcus Campbell v Lyu Haotian streamed

2.30pm

Sports Hall
Jamie Burnett v Simon Bedford
Ryan Day v Chris Wakelin streamed
Jack Lisowski v Michael Leslie
Liang Wenbo v Elliot Slessor streamed

7.30pm

Sports Hall
Martin Gould v Chris Norbury streamed
Anthony McGill v Kyren Wilson streamed
Yu DeLu v David Grace
Alan McManus v Joel Walker

Postby Lucky

Sorry but this is a pile of twiddle. Hardcore snooker fans know the score but this is terrible for the casual fans. Read the comments on the BBC article, imho this is a massive step backwards in selling the sport as a TV event.

There's your foot.......ready, aim.....FIRE!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Lucky wrote:Sorry but this is a pile of twiddle. Hardcore snooker fans know the score but this is terrible for the casual fans. Read the comments on the BBC article, imho this is a massive step backwards in selling the sport as a TV event.

I have a feeling that the BBC are going to agree with you.

A lot of the BBC pundits seemed to hate the idea, and the fact they can't be fussed to televise morning matches suggest that the channel are not entirely committed to the idea. Whether casual fans like it or not might be based on how the BBC presents it. If it's presented like a really rubbish idea the whole time, then a lot of people may take the same opinion.

Though, I'm possibly blaming the BBC for something they haven't done yet. It might be interesting to see how they tackle this tournament.

Postby roy142857

Your 'Journeyman' Jamie O'Neill just doubled his total earnings since the start of the 2012/13 season - have to say I admire the fact he's been plugging away where other players so far behind have given up, could he suddenly have hit on what it takes? Probably not, but nice to see Jamie get some small reward for all the effort.

Postby Wildey

Lucky wrote:Sorry but this is a pile of twiddle. Hardcore snooker fans know the score but this is terrible for the casual fans. Read the comments on the BBC article, imho this is a massive step backwards in selling the sport as a TV event.

The BBC needs a kick and i can feel it coming.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Is this the UK Championship or the UK PTC?

I'm struggling to tell.

its the last 128 last year you wouldn't know anything about it until the last 32