Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Last 128 Discussion !!

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I don't think Maguire, Murphy or Higgins are playing consistent enough to win such a title. Murphy is struggling to even win one match at the moment, never mind 7.

That's why they'd be unexpected winners.

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Also I included Allen, Trump and Carter in my list of contenders.

Basically what I was saying in my post was I don't think it'll be one of the four 'form men' (I'm including Selby among them, even though he's only won one PTC this season. It'll be one of your outsiders or someone else in the top16.

Postby Roland

The thing is that those big name players being held over to the weekend to play their last 128 matches will have to play 7 matches in a short space of time. But saying that, they will doubtless win the first one or two easy so it shouldn't matter too much.

I also wondered about the BBC being happy showing routs but they cover Wimbledon in all its glory and that's always full of one sided trouncings in the first couple of rounds which is what you get with 128 flat draws. The first bit is all about studying form of the big names, waiting for the odd shock, but the close matches will be the ones going on away from the tv tables which is why I'm looking forward to going down there most days.

Postby snooker loopy

I'm going down for the Saturday so that's why I'm interested in the L64 matches that day! :p. Okay it's probably not the greatest day in terms of matches (O'Sullivan, Selby, Robertson and cannon fodder matches) but it's then only one I can do and it gives some L64 matches.

Also am I right in thinking my daytime session ticket (marked start 9.30am) and evening ticket mean finding somewhere to kill the afternoon while Ronnie's on despite mistakenly promising me sports hall access in the "daytime" session (which by my reckoning has no sports hall matches?)

The literature that came with the tickets wasn't clear?

Postby PLtheRef

Lucky wrote:Wow. They've really screwed this tournament up haven't they???? Hopefully with ITV losing the champions league and Europa league coverage after next year it may spend some of the cash saved on snooker coverage.

Hope that you and I both will be proved wrong but I thin

I agree that 128 man formats are a good idea for snooker now the depth is there but I don't think taking 128 players to venues is the way to go forward (barring the PTC events)

Looking at the way the tournament has been scheduled, it seems like there is an almighty rush on to get through the first 120 matches by Wednesday to allow for the tournament to progress

It also undermines IMO why this tournament went to best of 11 frames in the first place, to ensure all 32 players got to play on TV. The practice tables aren't at the venue either.

I think it would have been much better and smoother to start the venue stages at the last 64. You could still play the matches over nine days (or better still hold the last 64 before the TV stages begin at the last 32 as usual)

I'm looking forward to it (going three days this year), this is the UK Championships after all, but hope that this is a tournament where big moments are missed.

Postby Roland

Well they took 64 to the International didn't they and that's the same format, and they only took 2 days was it to play the first round in Doncaster? Or was it Barnsley? Can't remember.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:Well they took 64 to the International didn't they and that's the same format, and they only took 2 days was it to play the first round in Doncaster? Or was it Barnsley? Can't remember.

Qualifiers are a different kettle of fish though even if they have been stepped up somewhat in the fact all the players are there.

I mean you could manage the 64 players in a nine day event and have the whole thing covered by the BBC. 12 Matches on Sat-Tues, with 8 on Wednesday before the QFs.

Postby Wildey

It undermines what Barry Hearn said regarding having all the Matches on TV it doesn't undermine the truth..the Truth was the BBC wanted matches over in one session.

i think its time this tournament ends on the BBC they haven't got the commitment to it and before its too late it needs another British Channel taking it on and making it a Major once again.

When i was a kid this event meant something i used to really look forward to it just like the World Championship now its getting to a stage its just another event and it desperately needs something to re ignite the spark it once had.

Postby Lucky

I can't believe Hearn even listens to the BBC. There may be a little traditionalism at work, but as a sport broadcasting entity the BBC is a joke. They still see snooker as a little time filler in the afternoon to keep the older generation happy. Give this tournament to ITV, they'll give it a kick up the bottom and make it great again. Being on the Beeb is not the only criteria to making a major. The sooner Hearn realizes this.....the better.

Postby Wildey

During those negotiations that meant the UK was reduced. ITV Involvement in Snooker was none existent and Sky wanted Gimmicky Events so the leverage wasent there.

Without the BBC back then Snooker in Britain would be Over.

Today its much healthier with ITV on board

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I miss Smart. Who else am I going to tell about that sweet deal I got on a box of Fosters for the televized stages?

who cares about both?

i don't that's for sure

Postby snooker loopy

So the first two streamed matches are Dominic Dale v Vinnie Calabrese and Tom Ford v Noppom Saengkham. Whilst we shouldn't right off Vinnie and Noppom, I think it's safe to say Dale and Ford are expect to win these two matches. Although the good news is we'll have the first 2 Last 64 matches lined up by tea-time.

Postby Wildey

Lucky wrote:Smart was a founding father. And great value during the biggies. A lot of the lighter side of discussions have died. A shame for sure.

rofl rofl rofl

Postby Wildey

World Snooker ‏@WorldSnooker1

Sorry but we have having technical problems with live streaming from York. We are trying to fix it as soon as possible.

Postby Wildey

Jamie Jones 0-1 Gary Wilson
Dominic Dale 0-1 Vinnie Calabrese
Anthony Hamilton 1-0 Sean O'Sullivan
Tom Ford 0-0 Noppon Saengkham

Vinnie will give Dominic a good game Dominic going through a barren spell at the moment