Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Last 128 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Lucky wrote:What did hendon have to say. That blog won't open on my phone.

Basically Some points are Valid others are self interest and looking after no 1.

Postby Wildey

For me its interesting what Bingham has to say for years he was the journeyman player now just as he reaches a high ranking that would guarantee him entry in to the last 32 of tournaments its all change so after years of grafting to get there hes back to square one.

“I felt a little bit tight against the wall but from Wednesday it’ll be down to two tables,” he said.

“I’ve read a few comments from people saying it’s like a PTC. But it is what it is. You have 128 players coming to a tournament and have to fit them in somewhere. You just have to get on with it.

“I’d love to be 20 now and in the game. I’m 37 and one of the oldies but I wish this was happening 20 years ago. Someone could come here, have a buzz up and get to the quarters, semis or maybe even win it.”

Postby GJ

I find the negative comments strange , in sport the early rounds shouldnt get as much exposure as the later stages.

Barry has set this up perfectly imo but there will always be moaners regardless.

Postby Lucky

I guess from a current top 16 players point of view it does feel wildly unfair. After seeing the last generation have it so easy then once you reach the promised land to have the rug pulled from under your feet. But it is a fairer system now but it wouldn't feel that way if you were in that situation. Hopefully given time it'll settle and the cream will stay at the top. But short term I dont think this is great for snooker from a casual fans point of view.

Postby Wildey

This tournament will guarantee Sean O'Sullivan or Noppon Saengkham a place in a UK Last 32 and £9,000 minus tax in the Bank....thats the reason behind a flat system to get players earning opportunities faster.

you tell me that Judd, Ali, Graeme Dott wouldn't have loved that same chance when they were starting out.

Postby Lucky

GJ wrote:I find the negative comments strange , in sport the early rounds shouldnt get as much exposure as the later stages.

Barry has set this up perfectly imo but there will always be moaners regardless.

Its not the exposure that's a problem. Its the fact that the tournament is currently at two venues with the 'big' names at one and the only cameras at the other......you couldn't have got it more wrong if you tried.

Postby Wildey

Lucky wrote:
GJ wrote:I find the negative comments strange , in sport the early rounds shouldnt get as much exposure as the later stages.

Its not the exposure that's a problem. Its the fact that the tournament is currently at two venues with the 'big' names at one and the only cameras at the other......you couldn't have got it more wrong if you tried.

The BBC is the problem there it must be

Postby GJ

Lucky wrote:

Totally disagree there are quite a few golf events which are played on different courses at the same time and i dont see golf suffering.

For example the dunhill links champ is played over 3 different courses

The issue is carter and co thinking about themselves and not the long term future of snooker :wave:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:You have to start somewhere and i think this system will be great long term for snooker.

During the Champion of Champions players were wishing there was more invitational events but in the 80s the boom years people were getting bored of the same players in the later Stages of events and Invitationals = same old same old UNLESS you get younger players climbing the rankings faster and winning tournaments so that they have a chance of being in the champion of champions and Masters and initially i was not in favour of a flat system but naving seeing it work its exciting seeing other players have a chance and seeing new faces.

in one of the tournament last year or year before there was 28 members of the top 32 in the Last 32 and 2 of the players outside the top 32 was Steve Davis and Jimmy White.

Postby Skullman

Speaking of new players looks like amateur Mitchell Travis might beat top8 seed Marco Fu, 5-5 and Travis on a break in the decider. Probably would be the biggest shock of the tournament so far if it does happen.

Postby Lucky

When the golf is on more than one course. They wouldn't put Tiger, Rory et al on one course and the worlds bottom thirty rated players on another.......and only televise the lower ranked course.

Postby Wildey

Ricky Walden 6-0 Xiao XinLong
Mark Davis 6-2 Robin Hull
Marco Fu 5-5 Mitchell Travis
Robert Milkins 6-3 Patrick Einsle
Sports Hall
Tian Pengfei 6-1 Pankaj Advani
Matthew Selt 4-3 Scott Donaldson
Rod Lawler 5-3 Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon
Kurt Maflin 6-4 Liam Highfield

Postby Wildey

ill tell you one thing that's being forgotten in the 80s and early 90s TV Cameras did not start rolling until the last 16 stage of a tournament. so exposure today is immense for these players compared to then.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Q School is £1K, or at least it was last year. I'm hearing that amateurs don't get any prize money though...

they do get Prize Money