Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Last 128 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

John Higgins 6-2 Alex Borg
Stephen Maguire 5-1 Sanderson Lam
Matthew Stevens 3-1 Ryan Clark
Joe Perry 3-2 James Cahill
Sports Hall
Alfie Burden 2-2 Daniel Wells
Mike Dunn 1-3 Luca Brecel
James Wattana 3-0 Ian Burns
Aditya Mehta 1-3 Robbie Williams

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 PGC wrote:Yes I agree with you hendry-fan, I also think Higgins will at some point hit another purple patch and possibly win another big event, he's far too good a player not to. But at the moment I just cannot see that happening, and yeah that needs to happen soon otherwise he may never recover.

He needs another tourney like his Shanghai Masters one last season, when though is another matter.

Yep,thats the main point i was meaning= "otherwise he may never recover". :-(

I thought the same about Ebdon,him and Higgins have been wobblier than jelly lately :dizzy: ,Ebdon looked really gone but then managed to pull off a result here n there.

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Yes I agree with you hendry-fan, I also think Higgins will at some point hit another purple patch and possibly win another big event, he's far too good a player not to. But at the moment I just cannot see that happening, and yeah that needs to happen soon otherwise he may never recover.

He needs another tourney like his Shanghai Masters one last season, when though is another matter.

Yep,thats the main point i was meaning= "otherwise he may never recover". :-(

I thought the same about Ebdon,him and Higgins have been wobblier than jelly lately :dizzy: ,Ebdon looked really gone but then managed to pull off a result here n there.

Higgins in the future will be like Ebdon every now and then has a purple patch and wins an event. <ok>

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 PGC wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:

Yep,thats the main point i was meaning= "otherwise he may never recover".

I thought the same about Ebdon,him and Higgins have been wobblier than jelly lately Ebdon looked really gone but then managed to pull off a result here n there.

Higgins in the future will be like Ebdon every now and then has a purple patch and wins an event. <ok>

It,s certainly possible,as we all know,you just can,t tell what they,re gonna serve up these 2,these days.

You know what we be amaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!,it would be amaziiiiing if Higgins were to continue to play the way he,s been doin and then suddenly at the World championship he pulls out some wizardy and wins it.

And to make it even more amaziiiing,the player he beats in the final is Ronnie O`Sullivan!. <laugh>

"Nasty man" and his cockroaches would probably never recover it that happened!. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Saturday 30th of November

9.30am

Graeme Dott v Nigel Bond
Allister Carter v Jimmy Robertson
Zhang Anda v Barry Hawkins
Peter Ebdon v David Morris

NB 1pm

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Rhys Clark TV
Ding Junhui v Anthony Parsons TV
Paul S Davison v Shaun Murphy
Michael Holt v Alan McManus
Sports Hall
Gary Wilson v Vinnie Calabrese
Sean O'Sullivan v Noppon Saengkham
Xiao Guodong v Jamie O'Neill
Fergal O'Brien v Mark King

NB 7pm

Mark Selby v Shane Castle TV
Neil Robertson v Dylan Mitchell TV
Michael Leslie v Liang Wenbo
Michael White v Marcus Campbell

Postby Wildey

Stephen Maguire 6-2 Sanderson Lam
Matthew Stevens 3-2 Ryan Clark
Joe Perry 3-3 James Cahill
Sports Hall
Alfie Burden 4-3 Daniel Wells
Mike Dunn 3-3 Luca Brecel
James Wattana 3-1 Ian Burns
Aditya Mehta 1-4 Robbie Williams

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:
GJ wrote:wild

Any idea when robbo will play his 2nd match

sun or mon ?

wont be sunday anyway know that much

<ok>

Postby Sickpotter

Holden Chinaski wrote:Anyone watching the Brecel match? Luca should get some lessons on safety play from Ray Reardon. He throws away so many frames he could win.

Always an issue with less experienced players, he'll figure it out in a few years.

Postby Wildey

Matthew Stevens 5-4 Ryan Clark
Joe Perry 6-3 James Cahill
Sports Hall
Alfie Burden 4-6 Daniel Wells
Mike Dunn 4-5 Luca Brecel
James Wattana 5-2 Ian Burns
Aditya Mehta 1-5 Robbie Williams

Postby Wildey

Friday 29th of November

2.30pm

Matthew Stevens 6-4 Ryan Clark
Joe Perry 6-3 James Cahill
Sports Hall
Alfie Burden 4-6 Daniel Wells
Mike Dunn 4-6 Luca Brecel
James Wattana 6-2 Ian Burns
Aditya Mehta 2-6 Robbie Williams

Postby snookerfan97

I have a question, and it's not related to the UK Champs: Based on Dave Hendon's article, what will happen to the World Championship after 2014 ? How will the tournament be organized, you can't have 128 players at the Crucible, and it wouldn't work to have matches at the Crucible and some other venue. What's the solution for the Worlds ?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

snookerfan97 wrote:I have a question, and it's not related to the UK Champs: Based on Dave Hendon's article, what will happen to the World Championship after 2014 ? How will the tournament be organized, you can't have 128 players at the Crucible, and it wouldn't work to have matches at the Crucible and some other venue. What's the solution for the Worlds ?

The solution is to not change anything <ok>

Postby simplysnooker

randam05 WC wrote:Some of these results are horrible.

Really hope the top players step it up and we finish with Robertson, Selby, Ronnie, Higgins, Williams, Ding, Trump, Dott, Mags in the quarters.

I know some of you will be loving these shock results but its not for me Lol.

Nine players in the quarter finals?

Postby Roland

Pankaj Advani lost 6-1 to Tian Pengfei. I saw him later on and he was just hanging around waiting for Wattana and Mehta to finish so he could go back to Sheffield. He was suffering from a cold and was pretty dejected, said it felt like he wasn't part of the tournament going out so early. It then transpired he hadn't been into the arena, instead spending his time in the sports hall. He said it didn't feel like a ranking event and said the venue in India was better.

Then I took him up to the balcony seats and he was like "Wow" when he saw the main arena. He was confused "So why was I playing in there?" meaning the sports hall. The answer is it was overflow obviously with so many matches to get through. He said for every event taking 128 or 64 players to the venue was too much and suggested the first two rounds should be played in a qualifying event and take 32 to the venue.

If this was the way they did things then the set up for the UK would've been the same as last year and there would be no suggestion that the Barbican isn't big enough. I like this idea. As a fan from a selfish point of view it's great having this festival of snooker with so many matches going on but I think he's on to something. Surely the way forward is to take 32 to the venue not 128.

Postby snookerfan97

Sonny wrote:Pankaj Advani lost 6-1 to Tian Pengfei. I saw him later on and he was just hanging around waiting for Wattana and Mehta to finish so he could go back to Sheffield. He was suffering from a cold and was pretty dejected, said it felt like he wasn't part of the tournament going out so early. It then transpired he hadn't been into the arena, instead spending his time in the sports hall. He said it didn't feel like a ranking event and said the venue in India was better.

Then I took him up to the balcony seats and he was like "Wow" when he saw the main arena. He was confused "So why was I playing in there?" meaning the sports hall. The answer is it was overflow obviously with so many matches to get through. He said for every event taking 128 or 64 players to the venue was too much and suggested the first two rounds should be played in a qualifying event and take 32 to the venue.

If this was the way they did things then the set up for the UK would've been the same as last year and there would be no suggestion that the Barbican isn't big enough. I like this idea. As a fan from a selfish point of view it's great having this festival of snooker with so many matches going on but I think he's on to something. Surely the way forward is to take 32 to the venue not 128.

I've been saying that on twitter since the tournament started.Flat draw everyone in round one, but not at the same venue ! The two table setup in York was great why must there be 8 tables when you can simply play 2 "qualifying rounds".Flat draws are great in my opinion, but all 128 players at the venue not really. Nobody would say that it isn't fair if there would be 2 qualying rounds played somewhere else.The best 32 players out of the 128 will make it to the venue that's the way forward IMO.TV companies would sadly never agree with that, because there is the risk to have many low ranked players at the venue, or the risk of big names missing out, I as a fan wouldn't care,but TV companies would

Postby hendry_fan

Wildey wrote:Saturday 30th of November

9.30am

Graeme Dott v Nigel Bond
Allister Carter v Jimmy Robertson
Zhang Anda v Barry Hawkins
Peter Ebdon v David Morris

NB 1pm

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Rhys Clark TV
Ding Junhui v Anthony Parsons TV
Paul S Davison v Shaun Murphy
Michael Holt v Alan McManus
Sports Hall
Gary Wilson v Vinnie Calabrese
Sean O'Sullivan v Noppon Saengkham
Xiao Guodong v Jamie O'Neill
Fergal O'Brien v Mark King

NB 7pm

Mark Selby v Shane Castle TV
Neil Robertson v Dylan Mitchell TV
Michael Leslie v Liang Wenbo
Michael White v Marcus Campbell

:-D Come on Dott,McManus,Leslie,Campbell,Ebdon,Clark,Robbo,Selby :-D

Postby Dannyboy

I've just been reading some articles regarding the flat 128 draw structure - I've come to the conclusion that snooker players are some of the miserable, moaniest (is that a word?) players in sport. Just get on with it. Don't like it - don't play!

Looking at Jimmy White tour card watch - looks like his result getting to the L64 so far was crucial because the majority of players around him won too. Around £4,400 difference between the cut off at the moment for 64th.