Topic locked

International Championship Quarter Finals Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Sunday 27th of October - Sunday 3rd of November in Chengdu, China

World no 1 Neil Robertson failed to reach the Quarter Finals But World no 2 Mark Selby and the New World no 3 Shanghai Masters and Indian Open Champion Ding Junhui has made it through and will play the surprise package Peter Ebdon in the Quarter Finals.

Liang Wenbo building on his win at AT3 with his first World Ranking Quarter Final since the 2009 UK Championship where he lost 9-2 to John Higgins in a tournament won by compatriot Ding Junhui.

Who will make it through to the Semi Finals?

DRAW

Quarter Finals

Ryan Day v Joe Perry H2H Day leads 5-3
Marco Fu v Mark Selby H2H Selby Leads 7-3
-----------------------------------------------------
Peter Ebdon v Ding Junhui H2H Ding Junhui leads 11-4
Graeme Dott v Liang Wenbo H2H Dott leads 3-0

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: International Championship Quarter Finals Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Thursday 31st of October

6.30am

Ryan Day v Joe Perry
Marco Fu v Mark Selby

11.30am

Peter Ebdon v Ding Junhui
Graeme Dott v Liang Wenbo

All 4 Matches will be Televised on Both British Eurosport channels please check listings in other Countries

Postby Skullman

Day v Perry: Both scored well, Perry slightly better and he's also tougher mentally, while Day hasn't been at the business end of an event for a while now. Perry.

Fu v Selby: Both scored very heavily in their latest matches. Don't how many mistakes Selby made, but Marco barely made any and can deal with any grinding tactics. Marco.

Dott v Liang: Mavis was pretty poor overall and handed Liang chances, plus Dott is solid tactically and has been scoring well. Dott.

Ding v Ebdon: Ding is on a great run, but he wasn't particularly fluent at the start and I think Ebdon rules in broken play and might stop Ding getting rhythm. Too tough to call beforehand.

Postby Wildey

Last 2 times Ding Junhui played Ebdon in Major Ranking Event Ebdon has won and the Last time in China Open 2012 Ebdon won 6-3 BUT Overall Ding has a better Record against Ebdon than Robertson has and i think Ebdon will be a Spent Force tomorrow while Ding going from strength to strength.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Selby?

I think Ding has a pretty good head to head record against him, especially in important matches.

Head to Head 10-10 and in Ranking Events 6-5 Selby

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Selby?

I think Ding has a pretty good head to head record against him, especially in important matches.

Head to Head 10-10 and in Ranking Events 6-5 Selby

True and if you look at their more recent meetings in rankers and majors Selby leads 5-3. But Ding won the arguably 2 most important matches - Welsh Open final and World Championship quarter final. If these two would meet again in a final I would slightly favour Ding despite Selby's better h2h.

Selby wins:
German Masters 2013 - Last 16
PTC Grand Final 2012 - Last 16
China Open 2011 - Semi final
German Masters 2011 - Quarter Final
Masters 2010 - Last 16

Ding wins:
Welsh Open 2012 - Final
World Championship 2011 - Quarter Final
China Open 2010 - Last 16

Postby Wildey

and Ding is in form.

but point of this was to determine who will be the most difficult opponent for ding in the quest of 3rd ranker in a row well answer to that is most definitely not Peter Ebdon at this moment in time.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Jewell wrote:Ebdon won't beat Ding.

If he does I won't post on Snooker Island again until the World Championships. That's how confident I am.

Just look at your avatar...

rofl

Plus didn't you say during the Masters that Selby wouldn't come back against Bingham and end up not posting for the week?

PS I actually can't remember why Jewell has that.

Postby hendry_fan

Ryan Day v Joe Perry

Day,the pride of Wales in this one,it seems donkeys years since he got this far in a tournament,mind you,one could say the exact same bout Perry.

Marco Fu v Mark Selby

Good to see Selby gettin some form back,he,s been struggling with consistency lately.

Peter Ebdon v Ding Junhui.

An absolute rasper of a match.

I slighty favour Ding to win this one,he,s been the most consistent by a country mile lately and his confidence is sky high.

I was actualy a bit worried about Ebdon,he did,nt half go off the boil,but as i wrote yesterday,he,s become a bit like Higgins,just when you think he,s gone,he suddenly comes to light again.

Graeme Dott v Liang Wenbo

This match is also a cracker.

Great to see Graeme come back after a slump in form just as it,s great to see Wenbo comeback again.

I really can,t pick a winner in this one.

My come ons are Dott,Ebdon,Selby. :-)