Topic locked

Re: International Championship Last 32 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 29th of October

11.30am

Barry Hawkins 1-6 Zhao Xintong
Peter Lines 4-6 Mark Selby
Neil Robertson 6-1 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
Stuart Bingham 6-4 Martin Gould
Liang Wenbo 6-4 Ronnie O'Sullivan
Peter Ebdon 6-5 Mark Joyce
Fergal O'Brien 6-4 Rod Lawler

Postby Andre147

Ebdon every now and then seems to have a good run in a tourney when most less expect him to.

Although this time I honestly can't see him beating Robbo, Neil is playng far too good to be Ebdoned.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I couldn't watch a single frame in the Ronnie - Wenbo match. From what I saw on the live scoring, Ronnie just stopped scoring heavily after 4-1. Anyway congratulations Liang on his first win over Ronnie, he's a very good player and was even briefly considered China's No. 1 a couple of years ago.

I'm pleased Ronnie entered, showed up and tried to win, that's all I can ask for. I'm looking forward to the Champion of Champions event.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:Ebdon every now and then seems to have a good run in a tourney when most less expect him to.

Although this time I honestly can't see him beating Robbo, Neil is playng far too good to be Ebdoned.

That's the thing about Peter Ebdon. You never know that you get. I will certainly watch that match tomorrow. Robertson seems to struggle against the Force.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I couldn't watch a single frame in the Ronnie - Wenbo match. From what I saw on the live scoring, Ronnie just stopped scoring heavily after 4-1. Anyway congratulations Liang on his first win over Ronnie, he's a very good player and was even briefly considered China's No. 1 a couple of years ago.

I'm pleased Ronnie entered, showed up and tried to win, that's all I can ask for. I'm looking forward to the Champion of Champions event.

I'm sure you can find some time to watch some frames of this :john:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I couldn't watch a single frame in the Ronnie - Wenbo match. From what I saw on the live scoring, Ronnie just stopped scoring heavily after 4-1. Anyway congratulations Liang on his first win over Ronnie, he's a very good player and was even briefly considered China's No. 1 a couple of years ago.

I'm sure you can find some time to watch some frames of this :john:

What are you implying? :redneck: :wave:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Jewell wrote:

You've managed to sum things up very succinctly. Well done for that. :hatoff:

It was clear to see Ronnie was quite abit rusty so it will do him the world of good to have come here and got a few matches under his belt.

Liang Wenbo was always going to be a tough opponent but he also won the last PTC event less than a week ago, so he was going in this match with some good form also. This is Ronnie's first full ranking event since May, so no big deal.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Jewell wrote:

You've managed to sum things up very succinctly. Well done for that. :hatoff:

It was clear to see Ronnie was quite abit rusty so it will do him the world of good to have come here and got a few matches under his belt.

Liang Wenbo was always going to be a tough opponent but he also won the last PTC event less than a week ago, so he was going in this match with some good form also. This is Ronnie's first full ranking event since May, so no big deal.

Yeah, he did play in 4 PTCs prior to this but none were major rankers like you say since the Crucible, and I also look forward to the Champion of Champions event, I reckon it will be a great one with the Major winners all in it, should be a bit like the Masters.

Postby Andre147

Jewell wrote:
Skullman wrote:But if it's rustiness, will two matches in a month really help?

Yes.

A very important part of the season is coming up. This defeat will hopefully allow him to reassess and refocus.

You have to remember that he has won the last two major ranking events he has competed in and you wouldn't blame him for starting to think it all abit too easy. Hopefully, this is the wake up call that he needed.

Agree, some forget that he too like Ding was trying to win 3 Major rankers in a row, 2012, 2013 Worlds, but unfortunately the IC wasn't to be. Sometimes players need defeats like this to know they need to improve, and like you say hopefully he'll come back stronger in an important part of the season with the CoC, UK and Masters especially.

Postby Andre147

Jewell wrote:The good thing is he at least didn't lose to Selby or Higgins, that would have been tough to take.

Better to lose to someone like Wenbo than one of your main rivals.

Yes it would have been a lot more difficult for him to recover from those types of losses against 2 players he has often lost when in good positions to win the match.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I would really love to see Ronnie win the UK. He won it way back in 1993 the first time at the age of 17, to win the same title 2 decades later would be incredible.

Yes that's one Major he hasn't won for a while, last time in 2007, so it would be lovely.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I would really love to see Ronnie win the UK. He won it way back in 1993 the first time at the age of 17, to win the same title 2 decades later would be incredible.

Yes that's one Major he hasn't won for a while, last time in 2007, so it would be lovely.

That also. It's been now 6 years.

But no other player before even came close to win a major 20 years after they first won it. That would be something for the history books.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

That also. It's been now 6 years.

But no other player before even came close to win a major 20 years after they first won it. That would be something for the history books.

A lot to go until the UK, but that would be something very special as you say. <ok>

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Could someone please explain to me again what was going on in the Robertson match? Someone (I think Sonny) wrote it was fixed?! WTF?

No, none of that in fact. It was indeed Skull that said there were some unusual betting patterns going on in that match between Robbo and Un-Nooh, but Skull later said he has watched it full and didn't se any strange shots going on or strange misses from either player.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:I honestly doubt it. I watched the whole match and there was maybe one or two shots that were odd but they're the kind the risky shots a lot of the younger players play. Robbo was just too good. Plus the expected scoreline was 6-2 wasn't it?

This is what Skull said, although it ended 6-1.