Topic locked

Australia Goldfields Open Semi Final Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 8th~Sunday 14th of July at The Bendigo Stadium, Victoria, Australia

Two Contrasting semi finals the first has two players that has the combined Major Haul of 1 Ranking Event and the other Semi has a combined total of 11 Ranking Events plus 4 Masters Titles.

Who will play in the final for the 3rd staging of the Australian Goldfields Open Title?

DRAW

Semi Finals

Robert Milkins v Marco Fu H2H Marco leads 4-1
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Robertson v Mark Selby H2H Selby leads 10-4

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Australia Goldfields Open Semi Final Discussion !!!

Postby Skullman

Very conflicted. I said earlier that I'd support Robbo over Selby because this is his home event, but apparently Ding was more important and even if the event continues it's no good, if it's stuck on internet streams and betting sites.

Plus it feels wrong to not support Selby.

Still hope Marco wins his semi, although Rob Milkins has been doing well and is definitely going to be in the top16 for the cut off.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:Very conflicted. I said earlier that I'd support Robbo over Selby because this is his home event, but apparently Ding was more important and even if the event continues it's no good, if it's stuck on internet streams and betting sites.

Still hope Marco wins his semi, although Rob Milkins has been doing well and is definitely going to be in the top16 for the cut off.

That's the problem, isn't it?

I've not seen any of this tournament. If it were on Eurosport, I'd have got some taped and watched it.

People discuss particular tournaments being Mickey Mouse just because a player they like isn't in it. But what message is being sent out about the prestige of a tournament, if that tournament isn't even considered good enough to be put on television?

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Very conflicted. I said earlier that I'd support Robbo over Selby because this is his home event, but apparently Ding was more important and even if the event continues it's no good, if it's stuck on internet streams and betting sites.

it is not stuck on streams in china and australia Snooker should be far bigger than just whats happening in europe TV Wise.

that shouldnt dictate the importance of this event to the growth of snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:it is not stuck on streams in china and australia Snooker should be far bigger than just whats happening in europe TV Wise.

This is a good point.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:it is not stuck on streams in china and australia Snooker should be far bigger than just whats happening in europe TV Wise.

Excellent post.

For too long now snooker's perceived success or failure has been based on what is or isn't happening in the UK.

Just because an event isn't being shown on television here in Britain or Europe doesn't mean an event should be discontinued or be regarded as second-rate.

Fans and many players alike need to get rid of this little Britain mindset. There is a whole wide world out there that is far more important for the future of snooker.

:dance:

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:

I've not seen any of this tournament. If it were on Eurosport, I'd have got some taped and watched it.

People discuss particular tournaments being Mickey Mouse just because a player they like isn't in it. But what message is being sent out about the prestige of a tournament, if that tournament isn't even considered good enough to be put on television?

Yes I definately agree, and for that matter disagree with Wild and Jewel cause the importance of a certain event is massively influenced by it's TV exposure, and if the main snooker channel in Europe, Eurosport, doesn't show the event live, of course that will have a massive impact on the tourney, and I can definately see the reasons for this tourney not to continue any further in the coming years, though if Robbo wins it that might reverse and boost things a bit. Of course snooker is not all about Europe, but a major ranker should still be covered by it's main channel, therefore if it isn't of course people will see this tourney as being on a inferior level than the other rankers. If this were say a PTC not being covered by Eurosport of course that woulldn't have even half of the negative impact it has now, so all main ranking events should get full TV exposure. But, all this being said, and don't get me wrong, I'd love if this tourney continued, but I honestly can't see it, plus the other big reason I think for most top players not to turn up is the massive Tax rates Australia have, like when Williams said after he reached the final of this event 2 years ago that the high tax rates would be the cause for him not to even get enough money to afford his travel expenses, and he is a top player, so just imagine some of the problems the lower ranked players have with it.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yes I definately agree, and for that matter disagree with Wild and Jewel cause the importance of a certain event is massively influenced by it's TV exposure, and if the main snooker channel in Europe, Eurosport, doesn't show the event live, of course that will have a massive impact on the tourney, and I can definately see the reasons for this tourney not to continue any further in the coming years, though if Robbo wins it that might reverse and boost things a bit. Of course snooker is not all about Europe, but a major ranker should still be covered by it's main channel, therefore if it isn't of course people will see this tourney as being on a inferior level than the other rankers. If this were say a PTC not being covered by Eurosport of course that woulldn't have even half of the negative impact it has now, so all main ranking events should get full TV exposure. But, all this being said, and don't get me wrong, I'd love if this tourney continued, but I honestly can't see it, plus the other big reason I think for most top players not to turn up is the massive Tax rates Australia have, like when Williams said after he reached the final of this event 2 years ago that the high tax rates would be the cause for him not to even get enough money to afford his travel expenses, and he is a top player, so just imagine some of the problems the lower ranked players have with it.

for years Tournaments was only covered on TV in Britain ie World Championship etc does that make a difference to it prestige of course it doesn't.

What British or European TV Show is immaterial to the prestige of a tournament.

When Sky TV First got involved with Snooker they used to show the overseas Ranking event week or 2 after they were shown live in the host country.

Snooker should never be seen as important just because europe can see it that's very narrow minded and one dimensional to the success of the sport on a wider scale.

the success of the Aussie open is reliant on TV Figures in China and Australia NOT in europe.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
for years Tournaments was only covered on TV in Britain ie World Championship etc does that make a difference to it prestige of course it doesn't.

When Sky TV First got involved with Snooker they used to show the overseas Ranking event week or 2 after they were shown live in the host country.

Snooker should never be seen as important just because europe can see it that's very narrow minded and one dimensional to the success of the sport on a wider scale.

the success of the Aussie open is reliant on TV Figures in China and Australia NOT in europe.

I just worry about the message it sends out to European fans. Especially the casual fans. (Who are the ones that we are trying to expand to.) Eurosport pretty much are saying; "This tournament isn't worth showing, let's put live University Racquetball on instead.

I agree with you're point that European fans aren't the only fans, and that the Chinese fans are watching. And more importantly it's promoting the sport in Australia. Fair enough. Can't argue with that.

But, just because the sport is getting popular in Europe, doesn't mean is so popular that we don't need to televise some of the tournaments. It's a pretty poor show that that an emerging tournament such as the Australian Open isn't shown to massive market like Europe. A market that is rapidly gaining interest in the sport.

That's not to say that the Australian Open isn't doing good things promoting the sport in Australia. But if it damages the tournaments reputation in other countries you could argue it's counter-productive. Almost like it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. If the sport doesn't take off in Australia (and touch wood that it will), all we will have achieved is that we've snake hissed off an already emerging market.

However, you could argue that we're all arguing the same point from different angles. None of us is saying we don't want the tournament televised over here. None of us is saying we want the Australian Open to fail. We all want to add Australia to the growing list of countries with an interest in snooker, and for Robbo to get more acknowledgement in his home country.

I think we can all agree we want the tournament to exist next year, and that hopefully it gets to be big enough that British/European channels aren't in a position to ignore it again next year.

Postby Wildey

Marco Fu did not play as well in the Semi Final he played in his Quarter Final or Last 16 matches but that doesn't really matter hes in the final.

in the first frame Marco made a initial break of 57 that was enough ultimately to take the frame, frame 2 was more cagey with Robert awarding 16 points in penalty points and after some bits and pieces snooker Marco closed out the frame with a break of 27, frame 3 was another close frame Marco had chances but a break of 52 was enough for Robert to make the score 2-1, the final frame before the interval went to Marco with the highest break of the match a Run of 66.

After the Interval Marco increased his lead to 4-1 with breaks of 32 and 28, after that Robert Milkins won 3 frames on the spin with breaks of 54, 38, 24, 41 and 29 nothing spectacular but it was enough to turn a rout in to a match, frame 9 and Marco made a break of 60 that helped him go 1 up with 2 to play at 5-4, then in the 10th frame Robert Milkins made the running with a break of 30 then atempted to Grind out the frame by making it awkward for Marco with all but 1 colour on the cush leading 44 points to 5 with 59 on but Marco got in with a run of 26 and slowly but surely started dislodging colours of the cushings milkins got one chance on the Blue and potted it with a great positional shot but it finished to close to the side cushing to pot the pink down the rail because he needed the rest, he got out the rest and out of sheer frustration he attempted the pink with the rest on the cushing and missed leaving the pink for Marco, Marco potted Pink and Black for the Match.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I just worry about the message it sends out to European fans. Especially the casual fans. (Who are the ones that we are trying to expand to.) Eurosport pretty much are saying; "This tournament isn't worth showing, let's put live University Racquetball on instead.

I agree with you're point that European fans aren't the only fans, and that the Chinese fans are watching. And more importantly it's promoting the sport in Australia. Fair enough. Can't argue with that.

But, just because the sport is getting popular in Europe, doesn't mean is so popular that we don't need to televise some of the tournaments. It's a pretty poor show that that an emerging tournament such as the Australian Open isn't shown to massive market like Europe. A market that is rapidly gaining interest in the sport.

That's not to say that the Australian Open isn't doing good things promoting the sport in Australia. But if it damages the tournaments reputation in other countries you could argue it's counter-productive. Almost like it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. If the sport doesn't take off in Australia (and touch wood that it will), all we will have achieved is that we've snake hissed off an already emerging market.

However, you could argue that we're all arguing the same point from different angles. None of us is saying we don't want the tournament televised over here. None of us is saying we want the Australian Open to fail. We all want to add Australia to the growing list of countries with an interest in snooker, and for Robbo to get more acknowledgement in his home country.

I think we can all agree we want the tournament to exist next year, and that hopefully it gets to be big enough that British/European channels aren't in a position to ignore it again next year.

European Fans has European and China tournaments lets not forget the ONLY Live snooker they see in Australia is The Aussie Open others are Recorded Highlights on their Eurosport Channel.

Could be Fox Sport said Eurosport cant show Live Coverage of this event because they had the rights and beside Eurosport not showing Live in Australia from other parts of the World.

Postby Skullman

Wildey wrote:European Fans has European and China tournaments lets not forget the ONLY Live snooker they see in Australia is The Aussie Open others are Recorded Highlights on their Eurosport Channel.

Could be Fox Sport said Eurosport cant show Live Coverage of this event because they had the rights and beside Eurosport not showing Live in Australia from other parts of the World.

Doubt it's that, otherwise Eurosport Player wouldn't be able to show anything.

Postby Skullman

Anyway, it's good to see Marco in another final, although obviously I'd prefer his opponent, whoever he is, to win. If he does well this season he could shoot up the rankings as he had a pretty poor season in 2011/2.