Post a reply

Tied frame

Postby shawbros9

If a player goes in off the black and the result is a tied frame, does the black remain in the position it finished in after the foul or is it placed on its spot?

Re: Tied frame

Postby Dan-cat

shawbros9 wrote:If a player goes in off the black and the result is a tied frame, does the black remain in the position it finished in after the foul or is it placed on its spot?

If it's a black ball game, a foul on the black ends the frame, regardless of score.

Postby PoolBoy

Yeah, as Dan-cat states, whenever there is only the black ball remaining, the first pot or foul ends the frame.
So, in the original example, the tied frame would then go to a re-spotted black - so the black wouldn't remain where it was after the foul (which tied the scores).
Hope that makes sense!

Postby Dan-cat

It wasn't clear from Shawbros original post if it was a re-spotted black, or just that the scores were tied. Same outcome though as Poolboy states - a pot or a foul ends the frame.

Postby Wildey

Different scenarios

Player A =68......Player B =61 only black left player A Pots the black and goes in off Score is tied at 68-68 frame then over BUT you cant end with a tied score so Black is re spotted and cueball in D.

Player A =68......Player B =61 only black left player A goes in off Score is tied at 68-68 frame then over BUT you cant end with a tied score so Black is re spotted and cueball in D.

Player A =68......Player B =61 only black left player A miss cues Score is tied at 68-68 frame then over BUT you cant end with a tied score so Black is re spotted and cueball in D.

Player A =68......Player B =61 only black left player A misses the black altogether (somehow) Score is tied at 68-68 frame then over BUT you cant end with a tied score so Black is re spotted and cueball in D.

All leading to the same conclusion

Postby acesinc

shawbros9 wrote:If a player goes in off the black and the result is a tied frame, does the black remain in the position it finished in after the foul or is it placed on its spot?

This question has already been thoroughly and accurately answered, but I will go ahead and chime in as there is an element which is a personal pet peeve of mine. It may not be the Oxford standard definition, but in my mind, "tie" and "draw" are not equivalent terms. To tie as in a sporting event is conclusive; to draw is merely temporary. A final score may end in a tie. A football (soccer) match can end in a tie. It doesn't happen very often, but as the good people of London recently discovered, an American football game can end in a tie. A frame of snooker may NOT result in a tie. Ever. After the final Black, it may be a draw, the scores level. But a winner will be decided. Likewise, a chess game may not result in a tie. A condition of "stalemate" may be reached (also a possibility in Snooker) so a game may be a draw with no effect on the ultimate match score; the board is re-set and the game is re-played.

A re-spot Black frame is fairly common when the Black is potted to draw the scores level so everyone always knows what to do. A fouled final Black whether by in off or failure to contact doesn't happen too frequently so people tend to be confused by it. So when this type of situation comes up on occasion, the best way to think of it is simply like any other sport...there is "regulation play", then there may be "overtime" (re-spotted Black). So what is "regulation play"? That has already been answered above, but to repeat for clarity using a quote from the Rules verbatim: "When Black is the only object ball remaining on the table, the first score or foul ends the frame..." and that applies ALWAYS. Now, in the event that the first score or foul on that final Black results in the scores being equal as we have in the original post, then we still have the end of "regulation play" and we move into "overtime". Overtime is always the same....spot the Black, flip a coin (or any other agreed method) to determine choice, White ball in hand. Play out the overtime again to "the first score or foul ends the frame." And we have a winner.

Postby acesinc

P.S.- I will add to the above post because there has often been the question come up something like, "I was up four points with only Black left. Then I fouled by not contacting Black on a thin cut and my opponent said that he won. But he would only be up by three points so I say I could still win if I pot Black. Who is right?"

If you don't know the answer to this question, refer to the above post.

Postby Dan-cat

I got something right for once!!! :)