Post a reply

In the D

Postby chengdufan

I guess this will be an easy question for most players. It's something I've never been sure on though.
In football, if the ball is the merest fraction on the line, it is in bounds.
In basketball, if the ball bounces with a fraction on the line, or a fraction of the last player to touch the ball's foot (or other body part) is on the line, it is out of bounds.

But with ball in hand in snooker, to be placed in the D, where exactly is the line? Can you place the ball with just the merest fraction on the line, like in football?

Re: In the D

Postby Andre147

As long as the line of the D is covering half of the cue ball, the cue ball is said to be "in hand".

Players can ask the referee if the cue ball is correctly placed in the D.

Postby chengdufan

Thanks Andre <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:As long as the line of the D is covering half of the cue ball, the cue ball is said to be "in hand".

Andre, are referees entitled to call a foul if they believe the line is covering less than half of the cue-ball, without warning the striking player first?

Postby Empire State Human

Vaugely remember this happened to a player on a re-spotted black once ... The player put the cue ball in the D (he thought), played the shot, the ref called foul and awarded the frame to his opponent. I have a feeling that Joe Swail was involved.

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:As long as the line of the D is covering half of the cue ball, the cue ball is said to be "in hand".

Andre, are referees entitled to call a foul if they believe the line is covering less than half of the cue-ball, without warning the striking player first?

Of course, the referee shall never give the player any indication that he's about to commit a foul stroke.

Postby SnookerEd25

Interesting responses. Thanks both.

Postby JackHammer

If you place the cue ball on the green spot, is the line of the 'D' covering half the ball?