Post a reply

I am new

Postby carayip

Hello, this is my first post. English is not my first language but I hope I can communicate with you guys here and talk about snooker especially as I can’t find many people who like snooker in the real world and I find this place probably the best on the internet. Thanks!

Re: I am new

Postby Cloud Strife

Welcome.

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Re: I am new

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Welcome to the Island....

Are you a Mark Davis fan?


Yes, we demand to know your favourite player. Are you a Ronnietard or a Selbytart? Or are you like Snookerfan - agnostic?

Re: I am new

Postby Iranu

Hello there! It looks like we will soon have a vacancy for forum moderator - do you have any experience in this? Would you be interested?

Re: I am new

Postby Alex0paul

I am old

Re: I am new

Postby carayip

Cloud Strife wrote:Welcome.

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?


Hi, I am from Hong Kong.

Re: I am new

Postby carayip

Thank you for all the welcome!

I think I started to watch snooker around 1999 or 2000. It must be around that time because I remember the commentator saying Ronnie O’Sullivan despite being the most talented player out there had yet to win a world championship. I was in middle school then and liked to watch a lot of sports and snooker happened to be on my TV a lot at that time so I watched it.

As for my favourite player, it has to be Mark Williams. For some reasons, I always have a special affection for left handers so I paid attention to him when I first watched the game. I also like that when he would lose position, shake his head and the commentator said he must play safe but then he went on to pot the ball anyway. It made me smile every time. I am pretty laid back (lol) about results so I guess that’s why I could stick by Mark for so many years, even when he lost a lot and was not on TV much. I am not a fan of his work ethic sometimes though.

Having said that, I enjoy watching most players. And nowadays, I have more time than ever in my job so I just watch while I can whoever they are.

Re: I am new

Postby carayip

Iranu wrote:Hello there! It looks like we will soon have a vacancy for forum moderator - do you have any experience in this? Would you be interested?


I don’t think so lol

Re: I am new

Postby TheSaviour

Your name just not happens to be Billy Connolly? We never should had listen to that old fool, now we all are in major troubles. Some agreements just can´t be cancelled, you know.

That´s really a final nail in the goffin of Stuart Bingham :wave: :wave: .

Scarely enough, that´s a completely regular and normal post to me. Has happened more than a decade to me, day in day out. That´s scarely good consistency and accuracy, if not anything else. That´s why I am not the one to listen all this and that, and a little bit of that.

Oh boy, oh boy. :mood: :mood: What are we going to do now????

Re: I am new

Postby Holden Chinaski

A winter's day
In a deep and dark
December
I am alone
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow
I am a rock
I am an island

I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate
I have no need of friendship, friendship causes pain
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain
I am a rock
I am an island

Don't talk of love
But I've heard the words before
It's sleeping in my memory
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died
If I never loved I never would have cried
I am a rock
I am an island

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb
I touch no one and no one touches me
I am a rock
I am an island

And a rock feels no pain
And an island never cries

Re: I am new

Postby SnookerFan

Well, I think we've done a good job of scaring him off.

Poor guy.

Re: I am new

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:Well, I think we've done a good job of scaring him off.

Poor guy.


We've had a few new members recently who make a welcome thread and then never post again.

Could be something to do with new posts needing to be moderated first...and well, we don't really have any moderators anymore, do we?

Re: I am new

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:is that right? I don't remember having to do this but guess I did

rubbish good point. I'm gonna hit up Wildey and tell him this


Yeah, all new members need to have their first few posts okayed by a moderator before they appear on the site. I guess they do this to weed out the troublemakers and make sure the new member is legit.

Re: I am new

Postby Dan-cat

Have sent Wildey a link to this thread hopefully he'll log on and release any posts. If the Saviour didn't send him to a mental home.

Re: I am new

Postby Dan-cat

carayip wrote:Thank you for all the welcome!

I think I started to watch snooker around 1999 or 2000. It must be around that time because I remember the commentator saying Ronnie O’Sullivan despite being the most talented player out there had yet to win a world championship. I was in middle school then and liked to watch a lot of sports and snooker happened to be on my TV a lot at that time so I watched it.

As for my favourite player, it has to be Mark Williams. For some reasons, I always have a special affection for left handers so I paid attention to him when I first watched the game. I also like that when he would lose position, shake his head and the commentator said he must play safe but then he went on to pot the ball anyway. It made me smile every time. I am pretty laid back (lol) about results so I guess that’s why I could stick by Mark for so many years, even when he lost a lot and was not on TV much. I am not a fan of his work ethic sometimes though.

Having said that, I enjoy watching most players. And nowadays, I have more time than ever in my job so I just watch while I can whoever they are.


Good post.

I always loved WIllo's play (before his wilderness years) and to see him rise again has been ace.

Where do you hail from?

Re: I am new

Postby eraserhead

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Re: I am new

Postby carayip

Dan-cat wrote:Good post.

I always loved WIllo's play (before his wilderness years) and to see him rise again has been ace.

Where do you hail from?


Yeah, Mark was hard to watch when he was off form, he could barely make 3 shots in a row sometimes lol. But I guess I liked to root for the underdog then. The only problem was that he was not on TV much.

I am from Hong Kong.

Re: I am new

Postby Dan-cat

Five posts in and you've already worked out how to use the quote function properly. I foresee a great future as a poster on the Island!

Re: I am new

Postby carayip

Dan-cat wrote:Five posts in and you've already worked out how to use the quote function properly. I foresee a great future as a poster on the Island!


Oh, thanks. You are very nice. I am a little frightened at posting on the main forum though. It will feel strange to spoil your original family.

Re: I am new

Postby Dan-cat

carayip wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Five posts in and you've already worked out how to use the quote function properly. I foresee a great future as a poster on the Island!


Oh, thanks. You are very nice. I am a little frightened at posting on the main forum though. It will feel strange to spoil your original family.


Ha don't be. Get stuck in. You are very welcome. It's like a big raggle-taggle gypsy family of people from all over the world with people coming and going at different times of the year.

Best place to hang out and chat is always in the current tournament's current round thread. If youknowarramean!

So right now it's the quarters of the European Masters in Belgium:

viewtopic.php?f=671&t=8198

The way I always navigate the site is to click the 'Active topics' link (top-left of the screen, a few cm down from the top, next to where it says unread posts | new posts

On a phone click the cog icon top-right and it's in the dropdown