Post a reply

Hello everyone.

Postby Doc

I have been an occasional lurker here for quite a while. But today I just had the urge to join up - so I did.

I played snooker for 35 years before I gave up about 10 years ago due to arthritis. I wonder if anyone here will recognise my from my introduction. I'm not famous, but I was a decent player in my day. Not good enough to be a professional, or even a top amateur. But I played for many years at County level.

I have had two 147 breaks in practice, but my highest match break is 136, which I made in a pro-am in Bristol. My highest break in a one frame league match is 101, which I made in 1987 in the Mining Snooker League.

I have won the Cornwall County Snooker Championship once.

Hardly anyone ever called me by my real name. Instead I was known as either 'Doc' or 'The Doctor'.

If anyone does actually know me, they will identify me immediately from what I have written.

Will anyone identify me? I doubt it. I was a decent player, but I never exactly set the snooker world on fire.

Re: Hello everyone.

Postby chengdufan

Hi Doc, welcome to the forum :hatoff:

Can't say as I know much about the Cornwall amateur snooker scene, but it's always good to have new members who have played at a high level :-)

Postby SnookerEd25

Welcome, Doc. I thought you were Jonathan Barron for a brief time their but he was World Amateur Champion, so thought you would have mentioned that!

Enjoy the forum <ok>

Postby rekoons

Welcome doc.

Does the arthritis really make it impossible to enjoy a frame of snooker?

Postby mantorok

Hi Doc, also from Cornwall here, I would say let's meet up for a game some time, but apart from that coming across a bit creepy on an internet forum, you would also absolutely destroy me :-)

Good to have you here.

Postby Juddernaut88

Welcome Doc that's impressive that you played to a high level :hatoff:

Postby Holden Chinaski

mantorok wrote:you would also absolutely destroy me :-) .

I bet he would.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:

I bet he would.

Prostate exam?

Postby Prop

Welcome to the forum, Doc :-)

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

I bet he would.

Prostate exam?

I just got the joke <laugh>

Postby RunningSide

Welcome Doc,hope arthritis improves, fingers crossed.

Postby Minimum Break

Doc wrote:I have been an occasional lurker here for quite a while. But today I just had the urge to join up - so I did.

I played snooker for 35 years before I gave up about 10 years ago due to arthritis. I wonder if anyone here will recognise my from my introduction. I'm not famous, but I was a decent player in my day. Not good enough to be a professional, or even a top amateur. But I played for many years at County level.

I have had two 147 breaks in practice, but my highest match break is 136, which I made in a pro-am in Bristol. My highest break in a one frame league match is 101, which I made in 1987 in the Mining Snooker League.

Hardly anyone ever called me by my real name. Instead I was known as either 'Doc' or 'The Doctor'.

If anyone does actually know me, they will identify me immediately from what I have written.

Will anyone identify me? I doubt it. I was a decent player, but I never exactly set the snooker world on fire.

Welcome Doc.

Are you still based in Cornwall? If so, you might have heard of a promising snooker talent from down that way named Bobby something. Just turned 17 and already knocking in centuries.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Minimum Break wrote:[you might have heard of a promising snooker talent from down that way named Bobby something. Just turned 17 and already knocking in centuries.

Bobby turned out to be a pussy and a liar.

Postby Prop

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:[you might have heard of a promising snooker talent from down that way named Bobby something. Just turned 17 and already knocking in centuries.

Bobby turned out to be a pussy and a liar.

Rumour has it he’s already assumed the role of his next character…

Postby Doc

Minimum Break wrote:
Doc wrote:I have been an occasional lurker here for quite a while. But today I just had the urge to join up - so I did.

Welcome Doc.

Are you still based in Cornwall? If so, you might have heard of a promising snooker talent from down that way named Bobby something. Just turned 17 and already knocking in centuries.

I live in Cornwall, but I don't know him. However, from looking at recent responses in this thread and another thread about looking up to America, it's obvious that some people here think that I am him, or possibly someone else who may have had an account here. (Remind me, are you 17 or 70 on this one?)

I searched the forum for 'Bobby' and it wasn't difficult to figure out that Bobby's handle was YanFan here. And, unlike my grandson and his friends, it seems that young YanFan has a vaguely similar, let's call it conservative, viewpoint on world affairs as me.

I basically stated that I didn't think the level of racism in America was as bad as it is being portrayed by certain left wing factions, and I was immediately personally attacked and then accused of being a sock puppet account.

And now I have received an email from a moderator to submit a form of ID to me to continue use of Snooker Island.

I was going to ignore it and just never visit the forum again. But than I thought, buck it, I may as well prove the accusers wrong and submit some ID. And, from reading some of YanFan's posts, it seems that here, if you ever said you have made century breaks, then YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT. So I will submit proof of that as well.

But does it really matter if someone has made century breaks or not? I don't think so. It doesn't make them a better person than anyone else. It just makes them a bit better than most people at poking balls around with a bit of wood.

Finally, this is all pretty pathetic. This is a bucking snooker forum, not a bone marrow doner's forum. This forum is just a bit of amusement, nothing more. I was hoping I would enjoy my time here. Just making the odd contribution. But now I'm not convinced that I will.

However, I'm not going to be called a liar, even by a bunch of anonymous internet users.

So watch what happens when the moderator receives my information.

Postby Prop

Hey Doc :-)

This is a bit off topic and nothing about all that nonsense, but do you mind me asking your name? My father thinks he might remember an old player they called the doc in the leagues ages ago!

Postby Minimum Break

Doc wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:

Welcome Doc.

I live in Cornwall, but I don't know him. However, from looking at recent responses in this thread and another thread about looking up to America, it's obvious that some people here think that I am him, or possibly someone else who may have had an account here. (Remind me, are you 17 or 70 on this one?)

I searched the forum for 'Bobby' and it wasn't difficult to figure out that Bobby's handle was YanFan here. And, unlike my grandson and his friends, it seems that young YanFan has a vaguely similar, let's call it conservative, viewpoint on world affairs as me.

I basically stated that I didn't think the level of racism in America was as bad as it is being portrayed by certain left wing factions, and I was immediately personally attacked and then accused of being a sock puppet account.

And now I have received an email from a moderator to submit a form of ID to me to continue use of Snooker Island.

I was going to ignore it and just never visit the forum again. But than I thought, buck it, I may as well prove the accusers wrong and submit some ID. And, from reading some of YanFan's posts, it seems that here, if you ever said you have made century breaks, then YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT. So I will submit proof of that as well.

But does it really matter if someone has made century breaks or not? I don't think so. It doesn't make them a better person than anyone else. It just makes them a bit better than most people at poking balls around with a bit of wood.

Finally, this is all pretty pathetic. This is a bucking snooker forum, not a bone marrow doner's forum. This forum is just a bit of amusement, nothing more. I was hoping I would enjoy my time here. Just making the odd contribution. But now I'm not convinced that I will.

However, I'm not going to be called a liar, even by a bunch of anonymous internet users.

Thank you for your reply. I never said you were not who you claim to be.

I am also not a moderator, nor do I care if you submit any form of ID or not.

Postby Cloud Strife

Doc wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:

Welcome Doc.

Which mod was it? Whoever it was, I hope you told them to do one. This is a gross overreach.

Postby SnookerFan

Doc. I'm from the future. I came here in a time machine that you invented. And now, I have get back to the year 1985.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:Doc. I'm from the future. I came here in a time machine that you invented. And now, I have get back to the year 1985.

1985 was a great song from Bowling for Soup back in 2004.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Doc. I'm from the future. I came here in a time machine that you invented. And now, I have get back to the year 1985.

It’s also the year Dennis Taylor did something memorable; I forget what, he’s reluctant to mention it :sad:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

It’s also the year Dennis Taylor did something memorable; I forget what, he’s reluctant to mention it :sad:

With a bit of luck, the BBC might mention it at some point.

Fingers crossed.

Postby Minimum Break

I'd like to hear the mod's side of the story. Does Doc's IP match a former user, or is he using a VPN.

Have any other users been asked for ID?

Postby Cloud Strife

Minimum Break wrote:I'd like to hear the mod's side of the story. Does Doc's IP match a former user, or is he using a VPN.

I thought you said you didn't care?

Postby Minimum Break

Cloud Strife wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:I'd like to hear the mod's side of the story. Does Doc's IP match a former user, or is he using a VPN.

I thought you said you didn't care?

I don't care if he does or doesn't provide ID. But I would like to hear the story from the mod's perspective as to why it was requested.