Topic locked

What does the Future hold for the Premier League?

Postby Wildey

in his latest Blog entry Dave Hendon said
"I understand the Premier League is unlikely to take place next season in its current form, spread over many weeks, so this would free up time in the calendar."

so does that mean it will become a week long event like any other tournament?

something that would make sense but it would also mean it wouldn't be a Roadshow anymore taking snooker to 11 different towns across the UK But you could argue these days The Snooker Legends tour fills that gap anyway.

Re: What does the Future hold for the Premier League?

Postby Casey

Crowds have been poor the last few seasons now. How far do people want to travel to a league match, with no real meaningful outcome?

over the space of 1 or 2 weeks would be much better, with more matches in a short space of time.

Postby Wildey

Gimmicks have a short time span in whatever sport.

what makes gimmicks work in cricket is its a very stat driven sport anyway with bowling averages and Batting averages etc adding speed averages on top of that is a natural progression.

Snooker has never really been like that its all about potting balls to win frames and that's the crux of all that matters speed is entertaining when its done naturally Jimmy White, Ronnie O'Sullivan etc but when its contrived it just feels false and after a time gets monotonous and predictable and ultimately a turn off.

Postby Lucky

Its not the same as cricket 20/20. That just speeded up the game by stopping time wasting, making the bowlers bowl in a small area, and restricting the fielding positions. The actual playing of the game was under the same time constraints of test cricket. Ie 15 overs per hour, but with stricter penaltys if you took longer. Shot clock snooker just made a mockery of the players by making them rush around and play rubbish shots! If you want that then watch kids play or go to the shootout.

Does this mean the fabled 'shotclock ranker' is a non starter?

Postby Witz78

I called this a while ago that the Prem Leagues days were numbered given the way the game was going, it was just crazy to write off the best part of 3 months of the season cos of it.

My gut feeling here is Sky will look to either hold a week long elite event such as a Sky Masters or perhaps a British Open but possibly (lookaway now Sonny) as a shotclock ranking tournament.

Case,

your talking BS here mate, ive been to 2 events in the last 2 seasons and both were packed out. Crowds always good at the PL nights

Postby Witz78

So you say mate but with the way the rankings set up is going i think that adds inevitability that it will.

I personally dont see the harm in one, just as id like more tournaments with different formats, be it sets ot whatever as theres no doubt a lot of tournaments have no identity at all and are in effect clones.

It seems too many people jump on one side of the fence partisanly on the shot clock issue without fully looking at the merits of it, but moreso attributing their loathing on it down to Ronnie.

Postby Skullman

I dislike it because it adds nothing. Most players play within the time limit whilst in the balls and sometimes you need some time to think of a good shot, a lot of times though shots that require a bit of thought are worth the wait. Players rushing isn't entertaining and can sometimes drag things out as they have to resort to negative shots as they don't have time to think of something better.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:So you say mate but with the way the rankings set up is going i think that adds inevitability that it will.

I personally dont see the harm in one, just as id like more tournaments with different formats, be it sets ot whatever as theres no doubt a lot of tournaments have no identity at all and are in effect clones.

It seems too many people jump on one side of the fence partisanly on the shot clock issue without fully looking at the merits of it, but moreso attributing their loathing on it down to Ronnie.

the way ranking set ups are going

flat 128 multi tables set ups.

point of the shot clock was to engross the fans with a clock and ultimately a count down or pips.

how will that ever happen with a tournament set up of 128?

Postby PLtheRef

The only way a shotclock will ever be introduced into a mainstream or dare I say it a ranking event is if we have a 'timed format' like billiards. With the match being a best of 2 hours - moving onto a best of 3 hour semi-final and a best of 5 hour final over the two sessions.

Onto the question

Some could say that the writing has been on the wall for the Premier League ever since the formats started to be tinkered with. I know I'm in the minority here but I did think that the 10 man format from 2011 wasn't that bad. Splitting them into 2 Groups essentially undermines what is meant by a league format.

It's a good tournament overall, with complete live coverage but 11 seperate weeks on an ever increasing calendar. Personally, it may be better for it to go back to being held on three or four weekends - i.e. if going back to the seven player league, seven games each weekend, with the play-offs in the final weekend.

Postby Witz78

the format changes were part of the beginning of the end

but ultimately the main death knell for the PL has been the explosion of new events on the tour.

Hearns WS takeover has killed off his Matchroom baby in effect.

I think a week long Sky Sports alternative tournament will be what happens now

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:the format changes were part of the beginning of the end

but ultimately the main death knell for the PL has been the explosion of new events on the tour.

Hearns WS takeover has killed off his Matchroom baby in effect.

I think a week long Sky Sports alternative tournament will be what happens now

hopefully the breakfasts at condom park will get the heave ho as well and they will have to go to the nearest happy eater instead <ok>

Postby Witz78

anyone see the dictator Hendons latest blog to his followers

trying to convince them all that commentary teams should be made up of one ex player and one journalist / commentator as that works best.

Talk about blowing his own trumpet and the self preservation society,

Im pretty sure Holt was referring to Hendon with some thinly veiled Facebook messages though haha

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:anyone see the dictator Hendons latest blog to his followers

trying to convince them all that commentary teams should be made up of one ex player and one journalist / commentator as that works best.

Im pretty sure Holt was referring to Hendon with some thinly veiled Facebook messages though haha

to be a good commentary pairing you got to come at it from different angles.

Clive Everton is without doubt the best person to be a anchor man in a Commentary box nobody else comes close because he does look at it from a Journalistic angle and stating facts while say Neal Foulds does shot selection.

Dave Hendon does come next on that list while Mike Smith,Phil bullocks Stud and Peter Dreary Drury just not at the Races.

When you have 2 Commentators almost arguing over the best shot to play its embarrassing and that does happen on the BBC.

Postby PLtheRef

Wild WC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:anyone see the dictator Hendons latest blog to his followers

to be a good commentary pairing you got to come at it from different angles.

Clive Everton is without doubt the best person to be a anchor man in a Commentary box nobody else comes close because he does look at it from a Journalistic angle and stating facts while say Neal Foulds does shot selection.

Dave Hendon does come next on that list while Mike Smith,Phil fluffy bunnies Stud and Peter Dreary Drury just not at the Races.

When you have 2 Commentators almost arguing over the best shot to play its embarrassing and that does happen on the BBC.

You've got to bear in mind when talking about Clive is that he's a retired professional player as well.

Postby Wildey

yea

but hes also old school

if you watch old clips of snooker from the 80s commentators hardly spoke unless they had something to say these days they don't shut up.

Ray Edmonds was also a good commentator that was a ex player.

Postby Simone

I loved the way it was some years ago; really great crowds, athmosphere and so set-up players to go for it. But they messed it up when they made it semis first and then little final for the winners. Just two matches per night is right format for that. And all that championship league - playing and matches to qualify one place for it is just plain rubbish and useless.

Flat 128 now is fair and square, so perhaps just let the rankings to do the talking and picking top-ranked players for it.

Postby Skullman

We'll already have the Masters for the top ranked players. Maybe pick the event winers like they're already doing, although with the shift to a money list, there'll be a close correlation between the top ranked players and event winners.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:We'll already have the Masters for the top ranked players. Maybe pick the event winers like they're already doing, although with the shift to a money list, there'll be a close correlation between the top ranked players and event winners.

whatever they do there needs to be a structured criteria.

putting Jimmy or Ronnie there for the hell of it shouldn't happen.