Post a reply

Who deserves the wildcard (in order of world ranking)

Mark Williams
5%
Stephen Maguire
23%
John Higgins
7%
Shaun Murphy
12%
Matthew Stevens
No votes
Graeme Dott
No votes
Martin Gould
No votes
Ricky Walden
No votes
Ali Carter
14%
Stephen Hendry
5%
Jamie Jones
14%
Ryan Day
No votes
Liang Wenbo
5%
Jimmy White
No votes
David Gilbert
No votes
Luca Brecel
12%
other (please specify)
5%

Total votes : 43

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan 2012 World Champion

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I don't think Ronnie will take an exact 6 month break. I assume he will back to play in the Premier League (By the way who gets the last spot after Ronnie is now WC?). There are 6 ranking events outside Europe (Wuxi, International, Australia, Shanghai, World, China) and I think he will go 2 times to China but skip the rest. I pretty sure he will defend his title in Germany and go to Wales, I don't know about the PTC finals, probably not. I guess Ronnie will play in a couple of the PTC, but primarily in the UK ones.

Like every year, his main goal will be to win at least one of the 3 majors and especially trying to defend the World Crown.

John Higgins will get the last WC for the PL....

no chance

Postby Casey

Wild WC wrote:
Casey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I don't think Ronnie will take an exact 6 month break. I assume he will back to play in the Premier League (By the way who gets the last spot after Ronnie is now WC?). There are 6 ranking events outside Europe (Wuxi, International, Australia, Shanghai, World, China) and I think he will go 2 times to China but skip the rest. I pretty sure he will defend his title in Germany and go to Wales, I don't know about the PTC finals, probably not. I guess Ronnie will play in a couple of the PTC, but primarily in the UK ones.

Like every year, his main goal will be to win at least one of the 3 majors and especially trying to defend the World Crown.

no chance

Don't see why not....

Re: Premier League Poll - Who Should Get The Wildcard?

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:Who is the highest ranked player not in the league - I would imagine that player would be in with a shout.

I think Murphy will get it though for Brazil - Hearn's way of saying it was worth while going.

thats a great shout.

others
Gould = Power Snooker
Hawkins = Shootout

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Casey wrote:

no chance

Don't see why not....

ok put it another way what has he done to deserve it ???

Postby Witz78

Higgins shouldnt be in it

hes never done anything in the PL to be honest

it doesnt suit him

the PL is all about entertainment at the end of the day, so personally i feel Maguire deserves a chance, plus i think he would revel in the shot clock environment.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:He has won the World Title in 3 out of the last 6 years - he is the highest ranked player not to be automatically in and dominated last season.

old hat mate

lets put hendry in he dominated a decade.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:I think Higgins will get it - but that doesn't mean that's who I want to get it. Give it to Bracel.

just cant see that mate

theres one of 2 ways they will go

A) ENTERTAINMENT (Gould,Brecel etc)

or

B) SEASON SUCCESS (Maguire etc)

John Higgins dont fit either catagorie

Postby daraghj82

i think mags or ali carter for being runner up in the WC . similar to the Darts PL where the
WC runner up was given a place in the premier league

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:The responses on Twitter including from Neal Foulds are that it should go to Luca Brecel. I certainly wouldn't complain if he got it.

it just makes sense

its not serious hence inviting Jimmy White last year ahead of form players based on old farts event proved.

so give luca a place theres nothing to gain giving it to higgins.

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:I don't like to say i told you all....but I did bleed on that Higgins would get it. It was a certainty.

Well done for predicting it, but let's be honest. It was a stupid decision. Higgins didn't do anything premier last season. Maguire was far more worthy.

Not sure Murphy deserves it either. Sky Sports will probably harp on that he deserves to be there because he won the 2011 Brazil Masters, or something. <doh>

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:I guess you can't argue with the choices, but I thought Maguire had a better season than Murphy last time around so thought he'd get the nod.

Why can't we argue with the choice. Higgins had a terrible season and certainly doesn't deserve to be there. Maguire was better than Murphy and it would be interesting to know if he was invited and declined or if he was not invited. Williams should be there IMO but I suppose he's been too "naughty" and has been deprived from desert … erhhh from PL I mean.

Postby Alpha

Murphy is an understandable choice. At least he won a tournament. No idea why Higgins was chosen ahead of Maguire, Jamie Jones or even Williams.
Oh if only O'Sullivan had just signed the contract and be done with it..........

Postby Skullman

I think they just picked the two highest ranked players who weren't already in the tournament. Seems fair enough.

Edit: Nevermind just realised MJw is higher ranked. Maybe he declined or wast skipped over due to the whole 'Crucible is a shithole' issue.

Postby Casey

Yes, it's obvious they picked the highest ranked players - why should Maguire get a pick? He went another season without winning a trophy. It's only right a higher ranked player won the tournament.

Also Murphy won a WSA event.

Postby Monique

Casey wrote:Yes, it's obvious they picked the highest ranked players - why should Maguire get a pick? He went another season without winning a trophy. It's only right a higher ranked player won the tournament.

Also Murphy won a WSA event.

Maguire won a PTC, which is a WSA event and a minor ranking event. And he was a runner-up twice, plus he reached the semi finals at the Crucible. The Brazilian Masters was an invitational with a depleted field (I'm not counting Selby as a contender given that he had just won the Shanghai Masters then had to fly at the other side of the world with a maximum time difference and he was knackered)

Postby Roland

OK you can argue with the choices if you want but Higgins and Murphy are both quality players.

I personally don't care either way, I cancelled my subsciption to Skysports on the grounds that the only snooker they show is this shot clock bullocks so I won't be watching it.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:OK you can argue with the choices if you want but Higgins and Murphy are both quality players.

I personally don't care either way, I cancelled my subsciption to Skysports on the grounds that the only snooker they show is this shot clock bullocks so I won't be watching it.

Well that's your choice sonny. But yourself were expecting Maguire and Williams, weren't you? So I think we are entitled to wonder about the reasons for this choice.

And you're unfair to Skysport. They also show the shoot-out. ;-)

Postby Roland

I think it was in Snookerscene, but somewhere I read a quote from the head of Skysports saying that snooker needed to change and wouldn't hold the interest of viewers and isn't right for this day and age. Like golf and cricket are fast moving all action sports. So when I read it I thought "buck you" and cancelled my subscription. There is nothing worth watching on Skysports these days anyway, everything decent is on Eurosport or ITV4.