Post a reply

Re: 2012 Premier League Format and Criteria Anounced.

Postby Skullman

Filipiak and Brecel have done nothing or near it this season. Lisowski hasn't done much either and isn't a rookie technically. Apart from that, I think that have a newcomer might be a good idea, as long as they end up being competitive and not getting thrashed by the top players. These are basically exhibitions, and thrashings aren't really much of a spectacle.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Filipiak and Brecel have done nothing or near it this season. Lisowski hasn't done much either and isn't a rookie technically. Apart from that, I think that have a newcomer might be a good idea, as long as they end up being competitive and not getting thrashed by the top players. These are basically exhibitions, and thrashings aren't really much of a spectacle.

ie Jimmy White 2011 total waste of space.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:
Skullman wrote:Filipiak and Brecel have done nothing or near it this season. Lisowski hasn't done much either and isn't a rookie technically. Apart from that, I think that have a newcomer might be a good idea, as long as they end up being competitive and not getting thrashed by the top players. These are basically exhibitions, and thrashings aren't really much of a spectacle.

ie Jimmy White 2011 total waste of space.

Absolutely true. As were Davis and to an extend Hendry in previous seasons. And they didn't even enjoy it. Who would? It's a lack of respect for theses legends to put them into a situation where they can only embarrass themselves.

Postby Wildey

How The List looks now with one place Available

Defending Champion: Ronnie O’Sullivan
UK Champion: Judd Trump
Masters Champion: Neil Robertson
Shanghai Masters Champion: Mark Selby
Australian Goldfields Open Champion: Stuart Bingham
World Open Champion: Mark Allen
PTC Grand Final Champion: Stephen Lee
Championship League Winner: Ding Junhui
China Open Champion: Peter Ebdon
World Champion: 7th May

John Higgins 1 Time PTC Runner up
Stephen Maguire 1 time PTC Winner & 2 time ranking Runner Up
Shaun Murphy Brazilian Masters Champion
Mark Williams 2 time ranking Runner Up

i Think the Last place will be rewarded to one of thoes 4 players if someone Else dont Win the World Title.

Postby Monique

Premier League venues have been announced

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 50,00.html?
Premier League Venues Announced
22nd May 2012
WITH A revamped format involving ten of the best players in the world, Matchroom Sport can announce the 11 venues that will play host the 23 matches that comprise 2012 PartyPoker.com Premier League Snooker.

The action gets underway on Thursday 16th August as the League returns to Skegness and the Embassy Theatre and plays out on Thursday evenings through September, October and November, live on Sky Sports.

The tournament concludes on the evening of Sunday 25th November with the final match at the Grimsby Auditorium.

This year the League comprises ten players making up two groups of five. Each player plays the other four players in their group once, making a total of ten matches per group. Each match is over six frames and there are two points for a win and one for a draw. At the end of the league section, the top two in each group advance to the play-offs.

Matchroom Sport Chairman Barry Hearn said: "The League has always been about taking top class snooker around the country and allowing fans who don't perhaps live near to one of the major tournaments the opportunity to see the biggest names in the game.

"This year we are returning to some of the successful venues from the past as well as charting new territory for snooker in towns like Penzance and Spennymoor.

"With all of snooker's big ticket sellers taking part I expect tickets to be snapped up quickly when they go on sale shortly."

The dates and venues

Thurs 16th Aug
7:30pm
Embassy Theatre, Skegness (08456 740 505)

Thurs 6th Sept
Biddulph Valley Leisure Centre, Stoke (01782 515005)

Thurs 13th Sept
The Sands, Carlisle (01228 633766)

Thurs 27th Sept
Spiceball Leisure Centre, Banbury (01295 257522)

Thurs 4th Oct
Guildhall, Southampton (023 8063 2601)

Thurs 11th Oct
Malvern Theatres (01684 892277)

Thurs 18th Oct
Penzance Leisure Centre (01736 874 744)

Thurs 25th Oct
Guildford Spectrum (01483 443333)

Thurs 8th Nov
The Dome, Doncaster (01302 370 777)

Thurs 15th Nov
Spennymoor Leisure Centre, Durham (03000 261 162)

Sat 24th Nov
Grimsby Auditorium (0844 871 3016)

Sun 25th Nov
Grimsby Auditorium (0844 871 3016)

Venues but not the definite list of players yet.

Postby Wildey

i must say its a very ametarish way of doing things

Wuxi,Aussie and 6 red Closing date Tomorrow at 12pm still 8 players from Q School not Known

Pro Snooker Blog and Players still waiting on Ranking points alocation and points coming off

now still 1 player short for the League but Dates anounced

come on get things right and in the right order its Embarasing the Questions people has to ask WSA For and even more Embarasing getting no answer.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:i must say its a very ametarish way of doing things

Wuxi,Aussie and 6 red Closing date Tomorrow at 12pm still 8 players from Q School not Known

Pro Snooker Blog and Players still waiting on Ranking points alocation and points coming off

now still 1 player short for the League but Dates anounced

come on get things right and in the right order its Embarasing the Questions people has to ask WSA For and even more Embarasing getting no answer.

There will be NO starters points whatsoever for those in the 96?-65 bracket. That seems to be a certainty, going by what players like David Grace said. Two years but no starting points.

Now there are a lot of pending questions though. I know it's off topic but here …

Tony Drago has got an European nomination. But with Hendry's retirement he might climb to 64. There is a huge difference. In the first case he'll get 2 years, but no points and one more qualif match to play. In the latter, he keeps his points but gets just one year more guaranteed and "Europe" should be able to nominate someone else. Also, who's choice is this? Tony's or the authorities.

If Tony has a choice and goes for the 2 years card, then Liam Highfield is next in line. But he's qualified through PTC. Hence a similar dilemna.

If both Tony and Liam go with their first "qualifying route", then will Liu Song get the spot n° 64? Two day's ago neither Liu or his management had any news.

And several nominations haven't been announced/confirmed yet. Alex Pagulayan has declined. It seems that Floyd Ziegler might get Canada's nomination. H'ed better know before tomorrow and make a decision.

Postby Alpha

Monique wrote:
Alpha wrote:When are World Snooker/Matchroom going to announce the PL wildcard?

I asked the question and got this answer
soon!

Like Wild said earlier,an amateurish way of doing things.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Alpha wrote:When are World Snooker/Matchroom going to announce the PL wildcard?

I asked the question and got this answer
soon!

yes seen it

<doh> <doh>

Postby Witz78

yeh i agree it s a joke,.

Hearn should use the Premier League as a test event to see what rowdy large crowds at snooker are like.

its all about making money at the end of the day so id sooner see the PL snooker played at the O2 with 10,000 fans there like the darts gets, than played in some stupid town hall in Penzance.

Postby Witz78

its clear the PL mainly exists just to provide snooker for Sky

well theres no room for it anymore in a full up calendar of rankers etc around the world.

this micky mouse event takes up 10 weeks is it ??

SKY get the finger out and just ditch this and even give us a one off Masters style tournament, how about the Scottish Masters for example, resurrect it

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:its clear the PL mainly exists just to provide snooker for Sky

well theres no room for it anymore in a full up calendar of rankers etc around the world.

this micky mouse event takes up 10 weeks is it ??

SKY get the finger out and just ditch this and even give us a one off Masters style tournament, how about the Scottish Masters for example, resurrect it

they could dedicate a week for the PL Get it over with

monday 4 matches
tuesday 4 matches
wednesday 4 matches
thursday 4 matches
friday 4 matches
saturday play off semis
sunday final

Postby Monique

The PL is providing snooker on television and in various places in the UK where there isn't any more on a regular basis during a significant part of the season. One of the best thing about the PL is precisely that it is played over several weeks, on fixed spots on telly and in different places. It's one of the rare snooker profitable events, and one the players like to play in because it's good money and good exposure and it's played in good spirit. It has an identity and a distinctive format. There is absolutely no reason to "ditch" it. Actually I can think of many events that should be ditched well before this one.

Postby Alpha

I don't see why they don't just merge the PL with the Championship League, spread it out throughout the season and invite some of the young, new players who could profit from the crowds and the exposure rather than as a money spinner for the "stars".

Postby Wildey

Alpha wrote:I don't see why they don't just merge the PL with the Championship League, spread it out throughout the season and invite some of the young, new players who could profit from the crowds and the exposure rather than as a money spinner for the "stars".

Scrap the Championship League invite 8 top players and 2 rising stars such as Luca and Jamie Jones that did a impression at the World and play it throughout the season spread it out a bit ....

seriously theres all sort of scenarios that would benefit the sport better than the current set up.

Postby kenneth79

Wild WC wrote:
Alpha wrote:I don't see why they don't just merge the PL with the Championship League, spread it out throughout the season and invite some of the young, new players who could profit from the crowds and the exposure rather than as a money spinner for the "stars".

Scrap the Championship League invite 8 top players and 2 rising stars such as Luca and Jamie Jones that did a impression at the World and play it throughout the season spread it out a bit ....

seriously theres all sort of scenarios that would benefit the sport better than the current set up.

Agree wild.
The PL eats into too much of the year

Have a 1 week World Matchplay tournament on SKY with 8 players
This would consist of the reigning WC/UK/International/Masters champions [proposed 4 majors]
In addition the defending champion/World No. 1 /two young stars [ie. Double J/Luca]
Rotate this around the British Isles [ie. Glasgow/Belfast/Goffs...]