Post a reply

The Vienna Open

Postby Wildey

Thursday 12th-Sunday 15th of July

On Sunday Evening Simon Bedford was Crowned as The Vienna Open Champion in the second edition of the Event.

The World no 78 was a surprise winner Beating Jamie Jones World Ranked 33 in the Final 5-2 from 2-0 Down and Pocketed the First Prize of €2,500 out of €10,000 total prize Fund.

there was 80 players from 14 countries Taking Part. 4 Austrians - Sebastian Hainzl, Müllner Bernhard, Hans Nirnberger and Zi Kim Chau - made it to the last sixteen.

"Snooker is Fun once Again" said The 36 year old who wanted to Quit a few years ago following the death of his coach Steve Prest in 2009 "We were Like Brothers" he said.

Jamie Jones had the better start in the final. He opened with a Century and also won the second frame. Then Bedford Got back into the Match and equalized thanks to breaks of 62 and 57 before the interval. After the break, Bedford won a tight fifth frame to take the lead then won the Match 5-2 With Breaks of 92 and 71.

"It is a question of confidence," said Bedford. "After I had a few good pots, I went on autopilot"

The 22-year-old Jones, who Reached The World Championship quarter-finals at the Crucible Theatre, Sheffield in April was happy despite the lost in the Final. "I wanted to gain match practice for the new season," Jones said. "The level of the players in Austria is getting better."

The tournament High Break of 135 total clearance was made by David Grace of England.

Final Result

Simon Bedford 5-2 Jamie Jones
15-103 (102), 13-64, 84 (62) -13, 75 (57) -48, 67-38, 92 (92) -0, 85 (71) -15.

Re: The Vienna Open

Postby Wildey

AttitudeCarter or LuckyTrump? wrote:Thought the players contracts banned them from playing in non-ranking events that run simultaneously to ranking events.

The players in Question lost in Qualifiers and the Deal is if WSA Gives them permission they can

Re: The Vienna Open

Postby AC or LT?

Wild WC wrote:
AttitudeCarter or LuckyTrump? wrote:Thought the players contracts banned them from playing in non-ranking events that run simultaneously to ranking events.

The players in Question lost in Qualifiers and the Deal is if WSA Gives them permission they can

Fair enough. As long as it's not like their throwing matches at Australia just to play in this shoddy tournament. I suppose it would be a bit unfair of world snooker to go 'you didn't qualify for x but you still can't play in y.