Topic locked

World Championship Pre Q Rounds (players not on tour) !!

Postby Wildey

the draw for the pre Qualifying Round has been made and some of the Players taking part are Robin Hull, Andrew Norman, Les Dodd, Joe Swail, Justin Astley, Tony Knowles, Lucky Vatnani, Tony Chappell and Patrick Wallace.

Tony Knowles and Joe Swail has reached a Crucible Semi Finals in their time.

Pre Qualifying Round 1

Ali Bassiri v Surinder Gill
Del Smith v Barry Stark
Paul Wykes v Robin Hull
Stephen Ormerod v Bill Kelly

Pre Qualifying Round 2

Andrew Norman v Philip Minchin
Les Dodd v Ali Bassiri/Surinder Gill
David Morris v Joe Swail
Stephen Rowlings v Del Smith/Barry Stark
Justin Astley v Tony Knowles
Lucky Vatnani v Paul Wykes/Robin Hull
David Singh v Tony Chappell
Patrick Wallace v Stephen Ormerod/Bill Kelly

Theres 2 Further rounds to be played with only 2 of these players can go forward to play the Professionals.

With these Rounds i still suspect that Amateurs from the Q School Order of Merit will still be used to top up the draw to 96 players so with Joe Jogia Banned and Stephen Hendry Retired the 2 winners from these Rounds will proberbly play Amateurs.

Re: World Championship Pre Q Rounds (players not on tour) !!

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:No Parrott this year, or Hendry either.

Hendry was never going to play this year possibly in the future if these Rounds are played. However ive heard that this year will be the last time these Rounds will be played so Hendry wont get that chance.

Postby Casey

Wild WC wrote:
Casey wrote:No Parrott this year, or Hendry either.

Hendry was never going to play this year possibly in the future if these Rounds are played. However ive heard that this year will be the last time these Rounds will be played so Hendry wont get that chance.

Really? I am not sure why they would scrap them...they are doing no harm at all.

Postby oldgreenbaize

Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

My second player in this series I'm doing of Players to Watch in the World Championship Qualifiers is India's Pankaj Advani.

http://theoldgreenbaize.com/2013/04/...pankaj-advani/

Advani made the headlines in February after a fine run in the Welsh Open saw him become the first Indian player to reach the quarter-finals of a ranking event.

Not only that but he recorded fine wins against former world champions Shaun Murphy and Graeme Dott en-route to the last eight.

Advani also qualified for the first ever International Championship earlier on in the season before pulling out to player in the Worlds Billiards Championship.

Advani impressed in Newport, can he do the same in Sheffield in the coming days and make the first round of the Crucible??

To do it he must beat a pre-qualifier, Adam Duffy, Mark Joyce and Michael Holt - not easy but certainly not a bad draw.

What do you think of his chances?

All the best,
Nigel

Postby Smart

randam05 wrote:Lovely performance from Swail so far, very solid. Love watching him play. A very well compiled 100 clearance with precise positional play gives him a 3-0 lead. Would love it if he made it through!

come on DAVYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :D

1-3 <ok>

Postby Roland

Match of the round even though there are some crackers I can't wait to go and see. These include:

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Scott Donaldson Un-Nooh is a delightful player to watch, very very talented potter who is rated very highly among his fellow professionals. Scott Donaldson is the Scottish kid with the great junior record and who slipped many radars by hiding away in Scotland where he developed into a top prospect for the future, producing a series of stunning results in last years Q School to get on tour which surprised many, other than those who already knew about him.

Zhang Anda v Passakorn Suwannawat Zhanger as we know is one Smart's favourites, the Mighty Mouse gave Hendry a scare at the Crucible a couple of years back but has struggled to progress since then. This is the sort of event he needs a good run in to get back on people's radars. He's got Passakorn, the funny looking chubby Thai player who has struggled to get results this season but I've seen the lad play very well so he is definitely capable and think it'll be a close match.

Michael Wasley v Sean O'Sullivan Two great lads who I've had the pleasure of getting to know. I fancy Wazza to edge it but again it could be a close one and wish both players all the best.

Craig Stedman v David Grace Both regulars at Northern Snooker in Leeds and good mates off the table. I know they didn't want to draw each other but they have, and friendships will be put aside tomorrow as it's a huge match for both players. I think it'll be a scrappy one and a late finish just down the fact they're playing each other. I suspect it'll be a 10-9 or 10-8 scoreline.

Robbie Williams v Li Yan Williams has had a lot of great results this season and surprised a few with how well he's done. Li Yan had a stormer last season but has hardly done anything this. That evens it out for me so I think this will go close. If you're going to regain your form then this is the place to do it so I'm going for Yan by 10-9 or 10-8.

Chen Zhe v Sam Baird Chen Zhe was Dominic Dale's tip for the future when I interviewed him at this event 2 years ago. He's been nicknamed "Sleepy" by his manager Django and you'll see why when you see him! He's obviously a great talent but he's up against another talent with a bit more experience in Sam Baird. I'm really looking forward to this one and it could be one of the matches of the round.

Pankaj Advani v Joe Swail What a tough draw for Pankaj who I've tipped to reach the Crucible. Well that now needs to be revised to assume that he gets past Joe Swail! I don't need to big this one up, it is by far and away the tie of the round. Nothing against Swails but I'll be pulling for Punks in this one. He has had a stinker of a draw but it's the perfect test to get that Crucible campaign rolling.

Luca v Fraser Patrick is worth a mention but I'd be lying if I said other than because I can't wait to see Luca play again. Fraser is a very good player but I think Luca will storm it. It's the next round or rounds for Luca that could produce the classic qualifiers.