Post a reply

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Qualifiers Discussion !!

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Monique wrote:But now it's 3-3, after a very good safety from Luca, Scott left a red pottable in the middle - not easy but pottable - and Luca took it, got it and made a ton from there.
Meanwhile Pankaj is through with 6-2 over Sam Baird.

Ever think of being a commentator Monique?

s/fan :love: :love: monique

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:
Jewell wrote:I wish the kid all the best for the future.

But I'm not like Witz, I don't jump on the bandwagon of a player until I've seen some real substance.

<doh>

Eh i champion the cause of a player when I HAVE seen some real substance <ok>

I dont jump on the bandwagon though, i start the bandwagon <ok>

As for Sonny championing this guy Brecel beat, im sorry but i dont see any difference to him and ten a penny young players

As for Luca though, even Wild can surely see hes the real deal :shrug:

So Luca's the "real deal" but an opponent who manages to push him to a deciding frame and has produced better results than Luca in his first season is nothing to take note of......... :clap: :clap:

That's some solid snooker insight there for sure :chuckle:

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:Er, Lucas younger than this other guy so stick that in yer pipe :D

Lucas the one whos been hyped up for a good 5 years as a kid and has many scalps already in pro-ams as a teenager.

So just because someone hasn't been hyped up, they're doomed to failure? <doh>

Plus I'm sure that one year between Luca and Scott will make a massive diference in what they achieve...

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 20th of November

2.30pm

Robbie Williams 2-6 Jamie O’Neill
Michael Wasley w/o Hossein Vafaei Ayouri
Thepchaia Un-Nooh 6-5 Passakorn Suwannawat
Liam Highfield 6-1
Ben Judge
Ian Burns 6-1 Michael Leslie

7.30pm

Dechawat Poomjaeng v Simon Bedford streamed
Paul S Davison v Gareth Allen
Zhang Anda w/o Duane Jones
Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon v Martin O’Donnell
Tony Drago v Craig Steadman streamed

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Er, Lucas younger than this other guy so stick that in yer pipe :D

Lucas the one whos been hyped up for a good 5 years as a kid and has many scalps already in pro-ams as a teenager.

So just because someone hasn't been hyped up, they're doomed to failure? <doh>

Plus I'm sure that one year between Luca and Scott will make a massive diference in what they achieve...

when Matthew Stevens and Paul Hunter turned pro all talk was about Matthew Stevens and Paul Hunter came up on the inside lane and overtook his mate.

Postby Witz78

thats debatable that Hunter overtook Stevens to be honest

its easy to get sentimental cos Hunters dead, but id always rate Stevens at his peak as being better than Hunter.

2 World Finals, numerous Semis and Quarters plus the UK and Masters crowns make his legacy far superior to Hunters IMO. PLus hed a few UK final defeats too didnt he

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:thats debatable that Hunter overtook Stevens to be honest

its easy to get sentimental cos Hunters dead, but id always rate Stevens at his peak as being better than Hunter.

2 World Finals, numerous Semis and Quarters plus the UK and Masters crowns make his legacy far superior to Hunters IMO. PLus hed a few UK final defeats too didnt he

Hunter staged fantastic comebacks, Stevens bottled all his leads to hand titles away.

Stevens has 1 ranking event win.

Hunter had 3 over a shorter career.

No doubt about it, Hunter was the better player.

Nerve under pressure the biggest difference between them. Hunter had it in spades, Stevens..... :fart:

Postby Wildey

fair comment

however it just goes to show you don't need the pre success hype to reach your goal.

Postby Wildey

i remember in the 80s a fair amount of hype surrounding Brian Morgan he was Described as "The New Steve Davis" by Vic Harris the Guy that said Steve Davis would be a World Champion when Steve was 12.

Postby Wildey

Dechawat Poomjaeng 1-0 Simon Bedford
Paul S Davison 2-0 Gareth Allen
Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon 0-1 Martin O’Donnell
Tony Drago 1-1 Craig Steadman

Postby Alex0paul

Sickpotter wrote:

Hunter staged fantastic comebacks, Stevens bottled all his leads to hand titles away.

Nerve under pressure the biggest difference between them. Hunter had it in spades, Stevens..... :fart:

Of the two i'd say Hunter had the biggest bottle job losing the 2003 semi against Doherty. Stevens never lost a lead like that in his pomp. Apart from that semi, Hunter had a pretty average record in the games biggest event including losing from well ahead to Stevens in 2004.

Postby Witz78

Yeh Hunters semi v Ken was a bottle job without doubt, could see Hunter squirming and feeling it bigtime as Ken started to close and he started missing a lot hed been potting earlier. HUnter was at his prime and by then Ken wasnt albeit he was still an experienced campaigner not be underestimates, but Hunter ought to have sealed the deal in that semi

Postby Witz78

Sickpotter wrote:

:fart:

mate, ill take your comments with a pinch of salt as even Wilds more likely to agree with me than you ever are on anything :gag:

Postby Wildey

now that Alex has Commented i forgot about Dott

Dott was in the same Age Group as Hunter and Stevens and Dott was Talked about even Less but hes the World Champion.

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:

:fart:

mate, ill take your comments with a pinch of salt as even Wilds more likely to agree with me than you ever are on anything :gag:

One can view opinions of Hunter as being clouded by sentimentality, how does one explain the opinion that Stevens was a better player?

I agree a couple of runner up finishes in the WC says a lot for a player but not enough to put Stevens on a par with Hunter.

Hunter never gave up matches making amateur mistakes like refusing to use the rest when appropriate.

If one were to put up a list and divide the players into ""lots of" or "bare minimum" bottle which side do you see these guys winding up on? IMO you'd wind up with the two players on opposite sides but as always, we're all entitled to our opinions.

Postby Wildey

Dechawat Poomjaeng 2-2 Simon Bedford
Paul S Davison 4-0 Gareth Allen
Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon 2-1 Martin O’Donnell
Tony Drago 2-2 Craig Steadman

Postby Witz78

Bottle or no bottle i still rate Stevens above Hunter for what he achieved up to the mid 2000s (the same time Hunters career effectively ended)

Stevens had 2 world finals, 3 world semis (equivalent of winning a normal ranker at least IMO) and 2 quarters up to 2005 and was almost a modern version of Jimmy White as hed a dramatic run at the event with most people willing him to win.

He also had a UK, 2 runners ups and a semi up to 2005 and of course the Masters in 2000.

Hunter only ever won 5 games at the Crucible and 3 of them were in one year, the only time he made it past the 2nd round, his record at the Crucible was terrible tbh.

Sure he had the 3 Masters wins which cant be argued with but he really was a lucky boy to win each of them.

Id rate Stevens achievments far higher therefore on merit as opposed to some bottle job logic.

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:tony drago is a joke of a player he just doesn't give himself a chance to win many matches by sheer stupidity or carelessness,

im proud to class myself as a poor mans version of Drago

id sooner lose too and play my way than compromise my style

With Drago its the Mediterranean hotheadedness and passion that costs him sometimes

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:tony drago is a joke of a player he just doesn't give himself a chance to win many matches by sheer stupidity or carelessness,

im proud to class myself as a poor mans version of Drago

id sooner lose too and play my way than compromise my style

With Drago its the Mediterranean hotheadedness and passion that costs him sometimes

you don't need to compromise your style just by using a brain