Post a reply

Re: Arcaden Munich Open (Betfair ET 6) Qualifying !!!

Postby Wildey

Monday 26th of November

Approx 1pm

Andrew Norman 1-4 Justin Astley
Stuart Bingham 4-1 Zhang Anda
John J Astley 4-3 Passakorn Suwannawat
Tian Pengfei 4-0 Matthew Hudson
Jamie Burnett 4-2 Zak Zurety
Allan Taylor 4-0 Hassan Miah
Mark Davis 4-0 Peter Ebdon
Shaun Murphy 4-0 Chen Zhe

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:OK Monique take the UK Championship how about this as a Module then using the exact UK Prize pot as this year but distributed slightly Differently.

Last 96 £300= £4,800
Last 80 £500= £8,000
Last 64 £3,000=£32,000
Last 48 £6,000= £88,000
Last 32 £8,000= £120,000
Last 16 £11,000=£88,000
Q F £17,000 =£68,000
SF £25,000= £50,000
R Up £50,000= £50,000
Winner £110,000 =£110,000

I would go with that. I have no problem with the top prize being slightly lower to compensate for the lower ranked players to get something fair. I would even get the winner at 100K in order to give the last 80 a bit more.

Postby Wildey

ive Booked a Flight to denmark 2nd of January the cheapest flight was about £200 but some was up to about almost £500 so flights aren't cheap then Hotels on top of that i do get that and i understand that im just asking what can be done someone somewhere has to Move around and travel but if you pay £1,000 to a Last 128 in a Flat system thats £64,000 bill before the Last 64.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:ive Booked a Flight to denmark 2nd of January the cheapest flight was about £200 but some was up to about almost £500 so flights aren't cheap then Hotels on top of that i do get that and i understand that im just asking what can be done someone somewhere has to Move around and travel but if you pay £1,000 to a Last 128 in a Flat system thats £64,000 bill before the Last 64.

I'm asking for winners to cover their expenses as a minimum. That it's the minimum of fairness that can be expected considering that those guys are pros and they need to be able to make a decent living out of the game if successful. Any event that can't guarantee that should not be on. It's that simple.
In order to reduce the costs for the players however, WSA can do a few things.
One advantage of the flat structure with everything played at the venue is that players will know as soon as they make the decision to enter an event that they have to book hotels, flights and if needed get their visa. About the latter WSA should make sure that for some events, letters of invitation are issued well in advance. Everything costs a lot more when you come closer to the dates of the event, planes and hotels fill up and prices increase, visa emergency procedures cost etc. So the ealier they are able to sort that out, the cheaper it is. It's also less stress for the players. Currently they have to wait for the qualifiers to complete before they can do anything. And with a flat structure, there are only 7 rounds to the final, instead of the current 9.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:OK Monique take the UK Championship how about this as a Module then using the exact UK Prize pot as this year but distributed slightly Differently.

Last 96 £300= £4,800
Last 80 £500= £8,000
Last 64 £3,000=£32,000
Last 48 £6,000= £88,000
Last 32 £8,000= £120,000
Last 16 £11,000=£88,000
Q F £17,000 =£68,000
SF £25,000= £50,000
R Up £50,000= £50,000

Also if you had a flat structure, with £1000 for the winners in last 128 and £4000 in last 64 it would cost £46800 less overall.

Postby Wildey

Monday 26th of November

Approx 3pm

Simon Bedford 2-2 Liu Chuang
Xiao Guodong 4-0 Oliver Lines
Yu Delu 4-1 Daniel Kandi
Jimmy Robertson 4-0 Ross Higgins
Dave Harold 4-0 Greg Davis
Michael Holt 4-1 Liam Monk
Robert Milkins 4-0 Michael Leslie
Tom Ford 3-4 Nigel Bond

Approx 5pm

Martin Gould 1-0 Ryan Causton
Anthony McGill 2-0 Varun Madan
Mark Selby 2-0 Scott Donaldson
Kyren Wilson 1-0 Jamie Jones
Mark King 1-0 Rory McLeod
Michael Wasley 0-0 Marco Fu
Ricky Walden v Sam Baird
Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon v Joel Walker

Approx 7pm

Liang Wenbo v Ding Junhui
Justin Astley v Stuart Bingham
John J Astley v Tian Pengfei
Jamie Burnett v Allan Taylor
Mark Davis v Shaun Murphy
Simon Bedford/Liu Chuang v Xiao Guodong
Yu Delu v Jimmy Robertson
Dave Harold v Michael Holt
Robert Milkins v Nigel Bond
Martin Gould/Ryan Causton v Anthony McGill/Varun Madan

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:

Last 96 £300= £4,800
Last 80 £500= £8,000
Last 64 £3,000=£32,000
Last 48 £6,000= £88,000
Last 32 £8,000= £120,000
Last 16 £11,000=£88,000
Q F £17,000 =£68,000
SF £25,000= £50,000
R Up £50,000= £50,000

I would go with that. I have no problem with the top prize being slightly lower to compensate for the lower ranked players to get something fair. I would even get the winner at 100K in order to give the last 80 a bit more.

the problem i have with that is that thousands of pounds is paid out to people who dont win a game, whether at the last 96 stage of last 32 stage. I did research into last years WC and worked out that almost 300k was paid out to "losers"

For me people who dont win a match arent contributing to an event and therefore shouldnt be rewarded, as Hearn might say they are mediocrity.

Thats why i favour a flat system

Lose your last 128 match and you dont get rewarded

Win 1 game and make the last 64 and you get your expenses covered and make a few quid

Win 2 games to make the venue and you get your qualifying and venue expenses covered plus make decent money

Prize money obviously increases throughout tournament at venue stages.

The advantages of this system is that winners are rewarded, PLUS the prize money is weighted towards the venue stages so the actual people who have earned their right to be their and playing in the tv stages are rewarded.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:

Last 96 £300= £4,800
Last 80 £500= £8,000
Last 64 £3,000=£32,000
Last 48 £6,000= £88,000
Last 32 £8,000= £120,000
Last 16 £11,000=£88,000
Q F £17,000 =£68,000
SF £25,000= £50,000
R Up £50,000= £50,000

the problem i have with that is that thousands of pounds is paid out to people who dont win a game, whether at the last 96 stage of last 32 stage. I did research into last years WC and worked out that almost 300k was paid out to "losers"

For me people who dont win a match arent contributing to an event and therefore shouldnt be rewarded, as Hearn might say they are mediocrity.

Win 1 game and make the last 64 and you get your expenses covered and make a few quid

Win 2 games to make the venue and you get your qualifying and venue expenses covered plus make decent money

The advantages of this system is that winners are rewarded, PLUS the prize money is weighted towards the venue stages so the actual people who have earned their right to be their and playing in the tv stages are rewarded.

I agree with you witz and I would even go so far as to say that the whole tournament should be played at the venue, in one go. That would allow for a true rolling ranking without it becoming a nightmare because qualifiers are intertwined with venue stages. It would also solve the issue of players paying too much for flights and hotels because they have to wait for the results of qualifs before they can book anything or ask for a visa.
However the point wild and myself were discussing was purely about how to spread the money, all things being like they are today, and we both are of the opinion that while that particular system is used, more money should be paid in lower rounds and it would still not make a massive difference at the top.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:

Last 96 £300= £4,800
Last 80 £500= £8,000
Last 64 £3,000=£32,000
Last 48 £6,000= £88,000
Last 32 £8,000= £120,000
Last 16 £11,000=£88,000
Q F £17,000 =£68,000
SF £25,000= £50,000
R Up £50,000= £50,000

I agree with you witz and I would even go so far as to say that the whole tournament should be played at the venue, in one go. That would allow for a true rolling ranking without it becoming a nightmare because qualifiers are intertwined with venue stages. It would also solve the issue of players paying too much for flights and hotels because they have to wait for the results of qualifs before they can book anything or ask for a visa.
However the point wild and myself were discussing was purely about how to spread the money, all things being like they are today, and we both are of the opinion that while that particular system is used, more money should be paid in lower rounds and it would still not make a massive difference at the top.

The easiest way then is to adopt a flat standard rule throughout the teirs

lose and you only get paid £500 and that applies to all stages, even the last 32. That means the lower ranked guys are guaranteed some money but the top 16 guys are at risk of losing a lot if they lose their opening game, compared to what they normally get.

It balances things out a bit.

But the best way and one which surely will be used if teired system and order of merit are used in tandem is that seeded losers will only get half the money. The only flaw with that is that the money saved from only paying seeded losers half their money goes back into the WS bank account, its effectively lost from the prize pot for that particular tourny, so im not sure how that would work.

Postby Sickpotter

All I can say is that I've never once been in a tournament where a player recouped their expenses by winning one match.

That concept is lovely but unrealistic, particularly when players travel from all over. There's no static expenses, they vary wildly from player to player so how do you make your calculations on what every winner should get paid? According to the highest expenses? Lowest?

Here's another scenario....Suppose we have a group of 10 players in a phenominally remote location. So remote in fact that in order to attend even the closest snooker event they'll incur $5000 in expenses. How can you possibly pay out $5000 for winning one match? You'd need a prize pool far beyond anything the sport offers.....

What's the answer?

IMO all you can do is limit the tour. I don't think that's really all that bad but there are pros and cons.

Pro would be it ensures quality players and ensures they can all cover expenses. The negative is the potential impact to sponsorship.

If we limit the field to 64 players and in doing so eliminate 80% of the Chinese players...what happens to the sponsorship? Certainly the nationality of the competitors will impact sponsorship from that nation so the sport could wind up losing money.

I'm sure there's a middle of the road but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Like they say, you can please some people some of the time but you can't please everyone all the time.

Postby Wildey

This could be a system they might use in some events with 128 players

Round 1 65/96 v 97/128
Round 2 Winners play each other
Round 3 33/64 v Qualifiers
Round 4 1/32 v Qualifiers (Taking Ding/Ronnie/Trump/Chinese players to china)

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:i agree with you witz but i honestly cant see a totally flat system happening any time soon

the German Masters "flatter" system is a good compromise i feel with the top last 64 matches held over.

But to be honest i really dont see the need for a "top 16" anymore with 50% of the venue stage players seeded through leaving the rest of the tour scrapping to get their (83 into 16 available places at the moment - and it will be 112 into 16 places next season)

Bar a few big names the tournaments dont need all the "big names" to be there. Sure under a flat system some would qualify for the venue last 32 stages anyway but the mix we get in finals day in a PTC is always refreshing with a mix of top players, younger players etc.

Its no coincidence in the flat 128 set up the top players the cream still rise to the top (look at the PTC winners), occasionally a journeyman has his moment in the sun, but the one stand out for me is thatyounger players seize the fairer level playing field and manage to beat guys they wouldnt normally even get a chance to play against thanks to the protective teired set up.

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:This could be a system they might use in some events with 128 players

Round 1 65/96 v 97/128

64 players in Round 1 = 32 matches :spot on:

32 Round 1 winners = 16 matches <cool>

16 Round 2 winners............play 32 seeded Round 3 players <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby Monique

Sickpotter wrote:All I can say is that I've never once been in a tournament where a player recouped their expenses by winning one match.

That concept is lovely but unrealistic, particularly when players travel from all over. There's no static expenses, they vary wildly from player to player so how do you make your calculations on what every winner should get paid? According to the highest expenses? Lowest?

Here's another scenario....Suppose we have a group of 10 players in a phenominally remote location. So remote in fact that in order to attend even the closest snooker event they'll incur $5000 in expenses. How can you possibly pay out $5000 for winning one match? You'd need a prize pool far beyond anything the sport offers.....

What's the answer?

IMO all you can do is limit the tour. I don't think that's really all that bad but there are pros and cons.

Pro would be it ensures quality players and ensures they can all cover expenses. The negative is the potential impact to sponsorship.

If we limit the field to 64 players and in doing so eliminate 80% of the Chinese players...what happens to the sponsorship? Certainly the nationality of the competitors will impact sponsorship from that nation so the sport could wind up losing money.

I'm sure there's a middle of the road but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Like they say, you can please some people some of the time but you can't please everyone all the time.

You will never cover all expenses of every individual, of course, and there is no space for allowing any extravagant tastes neither. However WSA usually has an agreement with one specific hotel, so they know how much that costs provided that reservations are made in due time, and it isn't that hard to look up for the prices, in economy class, of the flights departing from a sample of main "origins", with a pre-defined set of known companies and calculate an average (again provided reservations are made in due time)

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:This could be a system they might use in some events with 128 players

Round 1 65/96 v 97/128

64 players in Round 1 = 32 matches :spot on:

32 Round 1 winners = 16 matches <cool>

16 Round 2 winners............play 32 seeded Round 3 players <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

yea your right that what happens trying to do to much together

it should be

Round 1 65/96 v 97/128
Round 2 33/64 v Qualifiers
Round 3 1/32 v Qualifiers (Taking Ding/Ronnie/Trump/Chinese players to china)

Postby Wildey

Monday 26th of November

Approx 3pm

Simon Bedford 3-4 Liu Chuang
Xiao Guodong 4-0 Oliver Lines
Yu Delu 4-1 Daniel Kandi
Jimmy Robertson 4-0 Ross Higgins
Dave Harold 4-0 Greg Davis
Michael Holt 4-1 Liam Monk
Robert Milkins 4-0 Michael Leslie
Tom Ford 3-4 Nigel Bond

Postby kolompar

you have some very good ideas, I hope Barry Hearn reads Snooker island :redneck:
one thing I dont understand about sponsors and PTCs that the European tour is sponsored by Betfair.. but many PTCs have their own sponsor too.. why? that 70000 euro can be covered from the ticket sellings

Postby Wildey

Top Half of the Last 32 for Munich is shaping up like This

Last 32 Draw

Mark Selby v Kyren Wilson/Jamie Jones
Mark King/Rory McLeod v Michael Wasley/Marco Fu
Ricky Walden v Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon/Joel Walker
Liang Wenbo/Ding Junhui v Justin Astley/Stuart Bingham
John J Astley/Tian Pengfei v Jamie Burnett/Allan Taylor
Mark Davis/Shaun Murphy v Liu Chuang/Xiao Guodong
Yu Delu/Jimmy Robertson v Dave Harold/Michael Holt
Robert Milkins/Nigel Bond v Martin Gould/Anthony McGill

Postby Wildey

Monday 26th of November

Approx 5pm

Martin Gould 4-1Ryan Causton
Anthony McGill 4-1 Varun Madan
Mark Selby 4-0 Scott Donaldson
Kyren Wilson 4-3 Jamie Jones
Mark King 4-2 Rory McLeod
Michael Wasley 4-3 Marco Fu
Ricky Walden 4-0 Sam Baird
Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon 4-2 Joel Walker

Postby Wildey

Liang Wenbo 4-2 Ding Junhui
Justin Astley 0-1 Stuart Bingham
John J Astley 2-2 Tian Pengfei
Jamie Burnett 2-1 Allan Taylor
Mark Davis 4-1 Shaun Murphy
Liu Chuang 0-2 Xiao Guodong
Yu Delu 1-0 Jimmy Robertson
Dave Harold 1-0 Michael Holt
Robert Milkins 1-0 Nigel Bond
Martin Gould v Anthony McGill

Postby Wildey

Last 32 Draw

Mark Selby v Kyren Wilson
Mark King v Michael Wasley
Ricky Walden v Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon
Liang Wenbo v Justin Astley/Stuart Bingham
Tian Pengfei v Jamie Burnett
Mark Davis v Liu Chuang
Yu Delu/Jimmy Robertson v Dave Harold/Michael Holt
Robert Milkins/Nigel Bond v Martin Gould/Anthony McGill
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottom Half on Tuesday

Postby Wildey

Justin Astley 3-3 Stuart Bingham
John J Astley 3-4 Tian Pengfei
Jamie Burnett 4-2 Allan Taylor
Liu Chuang 4-2 Xiao Guodong
Yu Delu 2-4 Jimmy Robertson
Dave Harold 1-2 Michael Holt
Robert Milkins 3-1 Nigel Bond
Martin Gould 3-0 Anthony McGill

Postby Wildey

Justin Astley 4-3 Stuart Bingham
John J Astley 3-4 Tian Pengfei
Jamie Burnett 4-2 Allan Taylor
Liu Chuang 4-2 Xiao Guodong
Yu Delu 2-4 Jimmy Robertson
Dave Harold 2-2 Michael Holt
Robert Milkins 3-2 Nigel Bond
Martin Gould 4-0 Anthony McGill