Post a reply

Re: Victoria Bulgarian Open (Betfair ET 4) !!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
I nevertheless think that this win might prove important for Judd and John. So far Judd had lost 6 out of 7 encounters with John and all the recent ones, irrespective of the format. Both in Shanghai and in Gloucester, his body language was telling of anxiety as soon as John started his comeback, even with a 7-2 lead. It's actually perceptible from the moment John had made his 147 in Shanghai. There was nothing of the like in Sofia. He took a stance to play his game whatever, and it's John who got shaken. Those lose safeties are not like his usual self and there was concern in his eyes. Don't tell me I'm imagining it, I'm a photographer, I tend to notice those things (more than the shots they play actually). So it will now be interesting to see in what state of mind both will come to their next match, and if it's a one off or if it's the start of a trend.

I'd still rather see a few matches that were longer than BO7 before we started jumping to the conclusion that John is washed up or that John is Judd's lovely lady now.

It must've been a satisfying win for Judd, as John is the only player who seems to consistently beat him. And he played well to win. But can we read that much more than that into a best of seven match?

Postby Monique

Did I say that John is washed? or that Judd has his number?
I don't think I did. What I say though is that this win might and IMO will change the psychology of their next match.

Postby Wildey

nobody saying john washed up his experience and tactical game can still cause many problems but if someone like judd pots the balls hes presented with no safety game can compete with that.

Postby Wildey

people saying John not the same player in this match to UKPTC i see it differently Judd was the player that wasent the same player.

if you would look at the Final in Gloucester Judd had more chances to win that match than he had yesterday different was yesterday he took them.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:Did I say that John is washed? or that Judd has his number?
I don't think I did. What I say though is that this win might and IMO will change the psychology of their next match.

No, I see what you're getting at. Judd had lost all of his recent encounters with John, so a Judd victory in a final over somebody who'd only only just beaten him in a final a few days earlier was going to be significant for Judd's confidence if nothing else.

Judd is a lot younger than Higgins, so if John sticks around for long enough, there'll be a time when Judd will be beating him consistently. I have no doubt of that. I was merely pointing out that I'd like to see a few longer, more important matches between the two before I jump to the conclusion that the momentum has shifted between the two.

In the absence of Ronnie, I can see Higgins vs Trump becoming a bit of a rivalry in the coming season. I'm certainly hoping it does, and that they take a few matches from each other. It'll mean both players are playing well, and it's always good to have two players at the top of their game keep meeting in tournaments. It guarantees good matches, and memories that will live long after the match has finished.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:people saying John not the same player in this match to UKPTC i see it differently Judd was the player that wasent the same player.

if you would look at the Final in Gloucester Judd had more chances to win that match than he had yesterday different was yesterday he took them.

Exactly. He refused to be intimidated by John's status and, it's John who got worried as it unfolded. They will both come to the next match having reflected on this shift in the psychology of the match.

Postby Andre147

Wild WC wrote:nobody saying john washed up his experience and tactical game can still cause many problems but if someone like judd pots the balls hes presented with no safety game can compete with that.

I agree.. a bit like Hendry in the 90s when he was in his absolute prime... even the best safety players couldn't really cope with Hendry cause he would just pot everything, from everywhere, like Judd... but of course the safety game is of massive importance, but nevertheless I think Judd's safety game is improving...

This duel is indeed one of the most fascinating we have the game now, much like the late 80s and early 90s one between Davis and Hendry like you rightly say Wild

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
Exactly. He refused to be intimidated by John's status and, it's John who got worried as it unfolded. They will both come to the next match having reflected on this shift in the psychology of the match.

John is still John though. Maybe Judd won't be as nervous to play him any more, but John won't lose heart from this match. He'll never be scared to play anybody, even if he'd lost to them a hundred times in a row.

When can they play in the UK Championships? I'd love to see a semi or a final between the two.

Postby Skullman

Can't meet in the UK before the final. I personally hope we get some different faces at the business end of things rather than Higgins, Trump and Robbo. It's not like the other players can't play.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Can't meet in the UK before the final. I personally hope we get some different faces at the business end of things rather than Higgins, Trump and Robbo. It's not like the other players can't play.

but that's up to them they have to step it up because a gulf is developing

Postby Skullman

Wild WC wrote:
Skullman wrote:Can't meet in the UK before the final. I personally hope we get some different faces at the business end of things rather than Higgins, Trump and Robbo. It's not like the other players can't play.

Obviously. I'm not saying they should give the others an easy time. I'd just like others to put up some fight. It's good to watch good quality snooker but matches where the result is never in doubt start to get boring no matter what the standard of play.

[shameless optimism] Maybe the others are just waiting for the UK to up their game? [/shameless optimism]

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

Obviously. I'm not saying they should give the others an easy time. I'd just like others to put up some fight. It's good to watch good quality snooker but matches where the result is never in doubt start to get boring no matter what the standard of play.

[shameless optimism] Maybe the others are just waiting for the UK to up their game? [/shameless optimism]

:chuckle: Yeah I'm still waiting for, like you skull I imagine, that duel between Robbo and Selby... if memory serves me right, I reckon they can meet at this year's UK Champs in the quarters finals isn't it? the problem there is Ding I think, who could face Selby in the 2nd round...

Postby Wildey

Selby will come again but hes not getting any younger but for me the biggest worry is which 17 0r 18 year old will come forward to challenge Judd..

there's too much 35+ players dominating the top 64 never mind top 32.

Postby Witz78

Judd, Robbo, Higgins and Ronnie (if he was playing) are the 4 players clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the pack these days.

The growing batch behind them of Selby, Allen, Murphy, Ding, Maguire, Williams etc all decent but lacking something, maybe belief or consistency to clse the gap to the best players.

Postby Casey

It was Higgin's 15 match in a week at 3 different venues, at his age that's a push.

Anybody can lose a best of 7 to Judd 4-0. The bottom line is these are the two form players and both will be very confident ahead of the UK.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:It was Higgin's 15 match in a week at 3 different venues, at his age that's a push.

Anybody can lose a best of 7 to Judd 4-0. The bottom line is these are the two form players and both will be very confident ahead of the UK.

but most of his matches was played at that standard for the entire week in 2 different countries

Postby Witz78

dont think theres any debate that Trumps playing the best stuff in a while at the moment

now he has to kick on and continue it and dominate the rest of the season and by that i mean AT LEAST winning one of the Majors, doing well in another and winning another ranker. Thats the bare minimum he should be looking to achieve, the days of settling for one title are gone, time to dominate the game the way others have done in the past. The opportunity is there now for Judd to become a true great and if his attitude is right, he can have a massive haul of trophies under his belt in the next 7 years before he turns 30

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:dont think theres any debate that Trumps playing the best stuff in a while at the moment

now he has to kick on and continue it and dominate the rest of the season and by that i mean AT LEAST winning one of the Majors, doing well in another and winning another ranker. Thats the bare minimum he should be looking to achieve, the days of settling for one title are gone, time to dominate the game the way others have done in the past. The opportunity is there now for Judd to become a true great and if his attitude is right, he can have a massive haul of trophies under his belt in the next 7 years before he turns 30

True. Let's face it: Higgins is the only thing keeping Judd in check and he's not going to be at his best for much longer. Robbo's about 50/50 with Judd having the edge in longer matches and I'm not seeing anyone else except Ding and Selby challenging him and both aren't at the top of their game consistently these days. Trump has the opportunity to run rampant soon.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:dont think theres any debate that Trumps playing the best stuff in a while at the moment

agree

and believe me agreeing with you i almost choke on my drink :redneck: