Post a reply

Re: Betfair German Masters Final Discussion !!

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Just caught up with this afternoon's action courtesy of Eurosport's highlights. It's been quite enjoyable.

How do people see it going? I'd quite like a Fu win.

Carter to win with a 155 break in the decider. You heard it here first. <cool>

Was it Barry Hawkins that was on for a 16 red clearance earlier in the week? The commentators got well excited. He only potted like two reds before he broke down.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:fu is a cert to win

Don't know if he's a cert winner, but I also think he will win if he continues to play like he has, but I think Carter will come back this evening sronger, so it won't be easy. 9-7 for me...

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Just caught up with this afternoon's action courtesy of Eurosport's highlights. It's been quite enjoyable.

Was it Barry Hawkins that was on for a 16 red clearance earlier in the week? The commentators got well excited. He only potted like two reds before he broke down.

Yup. And i remember them starting to talk about 16 red clearances before he even picked which colour to nominate as a free ball :roll:

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:

Yup. And i remember them starting to talk about 16 red clearances before he even picked which colour to nominate as a free ball :roll:

Steve James (think it was him) once made a 16 red clearance in 1990 at the Crucible against Alex Hurricane Higgins.. I'm sure there have been some others in professional play.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:

Yeah, it was absurd. They were acting like it was a mega-certainty. :roll:

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Steve James (think it was him) once made a 16 red clearance in 1990 at the Crucible against Alex Hurricane Higgins.. I'm sure there have been some others in professional play.

The fact that it has happened wasn't up for debate. It was just the Eurosport commentary team got excited long before there was a realistic chance that Hawkins would do it.

To be fair, it might be ages before we even see the chance of one again.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:Steve James (think it was him) once made a 16 red clearance in 1990 at the Crucible against Alex Hurricane Higgins.. I'm sure there have been some others in professional play.

Burnett made one in the UK qualifiers and has the only 147+ break in professional play, with a 148.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
Skullman wrote:The atmosphere in Germany is great. Wonder if it was like this in the UK back in the 80s?

a lot of those people got a really rubbish view of the table <ok>

I thought that earlier in the week. The main televised table was in the middle of the floor, surrounded by other tables. How could the Krauts get a good view of the match deemed most worthy of being televised?

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:
Skullman wrote:The atmosphere in Germany is great. Wonder if it was like this in the UK back in the 80s?

I thought that earlier in the week. The main televised table was in the middle of the floor, surrounded by other tables. How could the Krauts get a good view of the match deemed most worthy of being televised?

when the camera pans out, the seating is way back from the table - you'd be able to have a proper conversation without being heard but you would not be able to see the table properly, not for me >-(

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:

yeh thats a joke Franklin

surely the fans should be closest to the table which is the tv one with supposedly the most attractive match on it

plus it would come across better on tv that there was a good atmosphere rather than just hearing background noises of potting and clapping of other tables.

people here about this mega 2,000+ capacity arena but if they didnt know the layout / set up and tuned in earlier in the week, theyd think the event was being played in a morgue

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:
GJ wrote:Hendon does ramble on alot

CDL

who are yor top 5 current commentators mr rexy :chin:

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:
Smart wrote:

CDL

who are yor top 5 current commentators mr rexy :chin:

I'm a bit dissillusioned with ES at the moment. If they persist with Studd then I truly will be astounded. If he does the World Champs then holy rubbish we are in a weak era of comms.

I actually quite like:

Hallet and Johnson on ES (or Mike Smith, just cos he is a bit weird and that sits well with me)

On the BBC:

Foulds I rate, but no-one else in fact I dont watch BBC anymore for snooker - they are all so up themselves its like a club they are in. Thorne, Taylor, Virgo, Parrot are essentially just runts.

Ken is not suited to comms, nor is Steve. But I like them away from the mic.

They seem to axe Everton when he was the best thing they had. Foulds is the best on the Beeb by a mile. Dont like Griffiths either.

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:

He's better than Philip Studd.

And better than your beloved willie. And that bald guy from Leicester as well.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
And better than your beloved willie. And that bald guy from Leicester as well.

I think you got me mixed up with somebody else. I aint really got that much of an opinion on Willie Thorne either way. :shrug: He's okay.