Post a reply

Betfair German Masters Final Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 30th of January to Sunday 3rd of February at the Tempodrom in Berlin.

The Final isn't the expected line-up but both players are class acts who've won ranking titles before. Ali Carter the 2008 Welsh Open and the 2010 Shanghai Masters, and Marco Fu the 2007 Grand Prix.

Who will win this week?

DRAW

Final

Allister Carter v Marco Fu ( H2H 8-6 Marco )

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Betfair German Masters Final Discussion !!

Postby Andre147

Yeah not the final most would have expected, but of course both fully deserve to be there, 2 class act players.

I do hope Fu wins, as he's far too good a player only to have won 1 ranking tourney and it's been a long time since he did it... I personally would have prefered he hadn't won that Grand Prix that year against Ronnie but anyway..

Hope it is a good final, and if Fu can play similar to what he did after the MSI in his semi match, then he has every chance of winning the title.
Last edited by Andre147 on 03 Feb 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

Good final this. Both players vastly underrated and have underachieved, Marco more so than Ali.

Also first final in a while that I'll be neutral for, so may the best man win.

Postby hendry_fan

So it,s Carter v Fu final then!,not many,if any would,ve thought that,but as we all know anything can happen in snooker.

Most were expecting Selby,Robbo,Trump to at least be in the final but even they are only human and no one can make finals everytime,even Davis,Hendry,Ronnie,Higgins,Williams did,nt reach every final in there hey days.

Don,t get me wrong,i think it,s brilliant that there are a lot more tourneys these days,i mean it could hardly get any worse could it!,but in sayin that,i personaly think there are too much,ok players can pick n choose the ones they want to participate in but they can,t really pick n choose,miss out on many,especially the lower ranking players otherwise there ranking position will obviously dramaticaly plunge.

Another disadvantage i see in havin so many tourneys is that it for sure leads to tiredness and can even lead to stress,it,s alright for some saying eg,yeah,but thats there job,of course it,s there job,but they are top professional sportsmen who put there fair share of work,practice into the game,any top player should,nt have to go through stress,i mean even though they put in the work/practice,they obviously have talent to go with it.

If snooker was such an easy game in which all one has to do is to practise for about 6,8 hours a day,then i,m sure way more would try and take it up as a profession,it takes bags of talent,lots of mental strength as well as hard work and practice.
This is why you can,t compare these guys to other guys who do there <normal> jobs,if u know what i mean.
Yes the money is better than any <normal> job,but these guys are stars,and you can only earn BIG money if your really good enough and often hit the latter stages in tourneys.

In certain other sports,they get paid faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more and snooker reguires just as much,if not,even more skill and requires bags of mental strength.

Snooker players deserve every penny they get,in fact,they,re under payed!.

Another point i,d like to make is,and i,m not tryin to use it as an excuse for when a player loses,but i think since there are so mannnnny tourneys now these days,many players think to themselves,if they eg play in the German Masters,of course they want to win,but if/when they lose even if it,s in the first round,they maybe think,ah well,it,s not that bad,i,ve lost,but next week or in 2 weeks time there,s the next tourney to play in,so they might not put in as much,or might not really give it there all.Whereas if they were,nt as much tourneys then the tendancy to really give there all,give it 100% would be for sure greater.

Just something that i was thinkin about lately,food for thought.

Have a good day all,the ones who,ll be watchin the final,enjoy it!. I,ll be out the whole day. :-)

Postby Casey

Carter could get away with it yet again :roll:

I hope Fu can bring his best game, he is better than 1 ranking title, a win here would be a nice tie up to his career.

Postby GJ

nice to see 2 non major winners getting their chance in a final

the last 2 major finals we have seen 2 major champions contesting them so gives the lesser lights some chance of glory

good luck to both

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:Carter could get away with it yet again :roll:

I hope Fu can bring his best game, he is better than 1 ranking title, a win here would be a nice tie up to his career.

Robbo was a shambles didnt see much of it but to lose to el choker whos top break was 50 is a disaster

But if u look at it not a shock as carter tends to win the smaller ranking events matches with robbo here and 2 in wales and robbo wins the major ones both at the worlds.

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:I think if Marco brings his A game then he will win.

I see Eurosport are not showing the first session of the final :no:

i agree marco is quality hope he plays well and wins

eurosport :? :no:

Postby Witz78

hendry_fan wrote:So it,s Carter v Fu final then!,not many,if any would,ve thought that,but as we all know anything can happen in snooker.

Most were expecting Selby,Robbo,Trump to at least be in the final but even they are only human and no one can make finals everytime,even Davis,Hendry,Ronnie,Higgins,Williams did,nt reach every final in there hey days.

Don,t get me wrong,i think it,s brilliant that there are a lot more tourneys these days,i mean it could hardly get any worse could it!,but in sayin that,i personaly think there are too much,ok players can pick n choose the ones they want to participate in but they can,t really pick n choose,miss out on many,especially the lower ranking players otherwise there ranking position will obviously dramaticaly plunge.

Another disadvantage i see in havin so many tourneys is that it for sure leads to tiredness and can even lead to stress,it,s alright for some saying eg,yeah,but thats there job,of course it,s there job,but they are top professional sportsmen who put there fair share of work,practice into the game,any top player should,nt have to go through stress,i mean even though they put in the work/practice,they obviously have talent to go with it.

If snooker was such an easy game in which all one has to do is to practise for about 6,8 hours a day,then i,m sure way more would try and take it up as a profession,it takes bags of talent,lots of mental strength as well as hard work and practice.
This is why you can,t compare these guys to other guys who do there <normal> jobs,if u know what i mean.
Yes the money is better than any <normal> job,but these guys are stars,and you can only earn BIG money if your really good enough and often hit the latter stages in tourneys.

In certain other sports,they get paid faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more and snooker reguires just as much,if not,even more skill and requires bags of mental strength.

Snooker players deserve every penny they get,in fact,they,re under payed!.

Another point i,d like to make is,and i,m not tryin to use it as an excuse for when a player loses,but i think since there are so mannnnny tourneys now these days,many players think to themselves,if they eg play in the German Masters,of course they want to win,but if/when they lose even if it,s in the first round,they maybe think,ah well,it,s not that bad,i,ve lost,but next week or in 2 weeks time there,s the next tourney to play in,so they might not put in as much,or might not really give it there all.Whereas if they were,nt as much tourneys then the tendancy to really give there all,give it 100% would be for sure greater.

Just something that i was thinkin about lately,food for thought.

Have a good day all,the ones who,ll be watchin the final,enjoy it!. I,ll be out the whole day. :-)

thats a lame excuse for players not caring about dominating these days

in Davis and Hendrys era there were plenty of tournaments, many invitational albeit (especially in Davis's era) but they had a proper winners mentality, something no-one since has truly had

Postby Skullman

Afternoon. Everyone got their choice of dodgy stream ready for the final?

If we base it on yesterday's play Marco wins easily. He was 90+% in all stats exceot long pots which was in the mid 80s, which is still very good for long pot stats. Carter had a high break of 46 and was somewhere in the 80s for pot success.

Postby Casey

Skullman wrote:Afternoon. Everyone got their choice of dodgy stream ready for the final?

If we base it on yesterday's play Marco wins easily. He was 90+% in all stats exceot long pots which was in the mid 80s, which is still very good for long pot stats. Carter had a high break of 46 and was somewhere in the 80s for pot success.

It's a huge game for both players, maybe slightly more for Marco but it will be a close tight tussel. I expect Marco to come through 9-7.

Postby Andre147

Casey wrote:
Skullman wrote:Afternoon. Everyone got their choice of dodgy stream ready for the final?

It's a huge game for both players, maybe slightly more for Marco but it will be a close tight tussel. I expect Marco to come through 9-7.

Yes like I said yesterday if he can play anything similar like he did especially after the MSI then he has every chance of winning it, but I reckon Carter won't play as bad as he did in his semi.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Marco 1-0 after a long opening frame. Ali needed two snookers and got them, but Marco got over the line in the end.

Yes a 55 minute opener... 16 more like that and we could have the longest best of 17 ever :-D :evilgrin:

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:Marco 1-0 after a long opening frame. Ali needed two snookers and got them, but Marco got over the line in the end.

Yes a 55 minute opener... 16 more like that and we could have the longest best of 17 ever :-D :evilgrin:

On the bright side, it means Eurosport's highlights at five becomes live coverage.

Postby GJ

Carter beat 2 journeymen in his 2 final wins

He wont be getting that lucky today :happy:

marco foot down <cool>

Postby GJ

I think Clive is wrong theres 4 ranking events till worlds cut off for seedings not 2

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:I think Clive is wrong theres 4 ranking events till worlds cut off for seedings not 2

Did you edit or did I just misread 3?

Initially i left out PTC as some call it TP