Bank of Communications Shanghai Masters S Finals Discussion

Postby Wildey

Monday 17th~Sunday 23rd of September in Shanghai, China

What a Semi Final Line Up

7 World Titles
7 UK Titles
11 World Finals

in Total Between Them

John Higgins will be playing in a Major Ranking Semi Final for the First time since he won his 4th World Title in May 2011.

Who will Make the Final ?

DRAW

Semi Finals

Shaun Murphy v John Higgins
-------------------------------------------------
Mark Williams v Judd Trump

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Bank of Communications Shanghai Masters Q Finals Discuss

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:But for a supposed lesser ranking tournament, you can't knock that for a semi-final line-up, can you?

You can't. But is Shaghai really a lesser tournament? It's only lesser than the UK and Worlds, possibly the IC in the future.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Skullman wrote:Good semi line up then.

Higgins v Smurph
MJW v Judd

Actually, that is pretty top notch. I'd like to see a Higgins vs Williams final. But fancy Judd to beat Mark.

Yeah, even though the world number 1 isn't in it, the very first 4 players in the rankings below him are, Judd in 2nd, Higgins in 3rd, Williams in 4th and Murphy in 5th.

Honestly, can't remember the last time in a ranking tourney since that happened... it's extremely rare these days...

Re: Bank of Communications Shanghai Masters S Finals Discuss

Postby Andre147

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Skullman wrote:Good semi line up then.

Higgins v Smurph
MJW v Judd

Actually, that is pretty top notch. I'd like to see a Higgins vs Williams final. But fancy Judd to beat Mark.

Yeah, even though the world number 1 isn't in it, the very first 4 players in the rankings below him are, Judd in 2nd, Higgins in 3rd, Williams in 4th and Murphy in 5th.

Honestly, can't remember the last time in a ranking tourney since that happened... it's extremely rare these days...

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:But for a supposed lesser ranking tournament, you can't knock that for a semi-final line-up, can you?

Nope, you cannot really get much a stronger line up according to the rankings. Something honestly says the last time the top four contested the later stages of a ranking event was the Crucible in 1999 but surely there has to have been one since.

The thing is that with those matches you can see each match going the distance.

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:

Nope, you cannot really get much a stronger line up according to the rankings. Something honestly says the last time the top four contested the later stages of a ranking event was the Crucible in 1999 but surely there has to have been one since.

The thing is that with those matches you can see each match going the distance.

It's not really the top 4 players, since Selby got out first round, but instead the top 4 players bellow him.. but yeah it's been a long time since this happend in a ranking tourney

Postby PLtheRef

Casey wrote:Great line up, most likely will be a Higgins v Trump final but any combo will be top notch.

You think so? I was expecting it to be Williams - Murphy considering the form that both have shown in reaching the semi-finals. Trump's not been at his best though he was impressive in the decider against Dott, Higgins seems to have been getting the results without being on all guns.

Postby Skullman

Well Murphy always throw in a stinker sometime during the latter stages these days. Australia, Wales and Germany from last season come to mind. Plus Higgins's far superior safety game gives him an advantage.

MJW has been scrapping through more as the tournament progresses, while Trump has got better slowly.

But that's the beauty of having a line up like this. There are no favourites and you can make a case for any of the players winning their semi and the tournament :-)

Postby Odrl

Andre147 wrote:It's not really the top 4 players, since Selby got out first round, but instead the top 4 players bellow him.. but yeah it's been a long time since this happend in a ranking tourney

The 2010 Welsh Open had the first four seeds in the semis, but of course Carter was seeded 1st as defending champion. He was ranking 5th in the world anyway though, so that was pretty close. :-)

Postby Andre147

jojo wrote:i havent been able to follow any of the snooker this week but it look a good semi final line up except dirt

no idea who will win but if it trump williams or murphy i will be happy

Your love for Honest John grows stronger day after day :chuckle: <laugh> :chuckle:

Postby Roland

Jewell wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I can't wait to finally see some snooker of the Shanghai masters

I don't trust Eurosport to show it all, though, regardless of what the tv schedules may say. It's a banker that we're going to have to rely on Fromsport at some point during the day.

Just checked the schedule. Should be ok tomorrow but Sunday there's nothing on the planner till 6:30pm

Postby hendry_fan

Haven,t seen much snooker at all this week as i,m still in the middle of moving,i,ve kept myself updated here on Snooker Island though.:-)

Judd Trump v Mark J Williams

John Higgins v Shaun Murphy

So,who,s gonna be the most CONSISTENT player of THIS WEEK?!.

It,s extremely difficult to tell at present.

I can,t think of much to say at the moment,(and that takes a lot for me to be like that!! ;-) <laugh> ), uther than,......

,.......Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn John!. :-D

Postby SnookerFan

The first four frames of Williams and Trump were over in less than 45 minutes. Typically Eurosport missed the first half an hour, so we got ten minutes of play before the mid-session interval.

Judd at the moment is outplying Williams, and has a 4-1 lead. It's going to be very difficult for Mark to come back here. He's not being given much of a chance. Though he was unlucky in one frame, as a camera put him off early in the break.

Judd has one foot in the final.

Postby jojo

all of a sudden trump look a lot older with his haircut it the first snooker ive seen in ages so maybe he have this haircut for a while

he winning 4-1 and is in again all the balls in a favourable position break of twenty two and counting