Post a reply

Mags vs Ebbo: final frame

Postby Smart

I watched the re-run of this match and the final frame was very interesting indeed. I expected to wake up the next morning to find that some action had been taken against Ebbo for his antics which I am sure were out of order and actually breached what is and is not acceptable.

The situation of the match was Mags leading 4-3. A snooker by Mags left Ebbo with an escape shot which he missed and left a free ball as called by Ivy. With the situation of the table and the situation of the match, Mags coming back to the table and having a free ball and being "on" the black to corner he would most days of the week "close the match out in routine fashion". However Ebbo argued his case that the free ball should not be. He was huffing and puffing and asking Ivy to justify the decision and that both edges of the object ball could be hit.

This to me was an attempt to:

- undermine the referee (she does not speak great English, so this was part of his thinking)
- disrupt Mags concentration and fluency (which was getting shot to bit anyway)
- make sure that Mags knew Ebbo felt an injustice had been done

What transpired is that Ebbo left the table and his whinging with a "if you think its a free ball then fine, but I dont think its a free ball" - or words to that effect. To which Ivy replied with "FREE BALL". She was right all along and she stood her ground.

Another issue here is that PC Plod (aka Erian) who is first to open his gob more often than not - would not tell Ebbo that Ivy was right and would not tell him he was actually bang out of order either.

Ebbo it seems can do no wrong in the eyes of WSA and is beyond punishment.

Its about time that WSA stood up to clowns like Ebbo. Minimum punishment is to forfeit all prize money from Shanghai, maximum punishment is a 3 month suspension with immediate effect.

Wake up WSA and smell the coffee, this has been going on to long with Ebbo. <ok>

Re: Mags vs Ebbo: final frame

Postby Roland

I don't think it's a case of he needs disciplining, I think that sort of action will turn people off him and make him less popular. Things like that do stick in your mind when you're a fan and impact on your support in subsequent tournaments.

When I watched Ben Harrison in the Q School the ref awarded his opponent a free ball which blatantly wasn't a free ball. The opponent knew it wasn't but checked that the ref called free ball and took it on and won the frame. Ben protested but reluctantly accepted. Michael Wasley who was sitting watching with me was livid. Once again, if it had been played in front of an audience then Ben would have been the one who came out smelling of roses and his opponent as a parakeet. So it's not all about the winning, and that's why Jimmy White is as popular as he is.

Postby Wildey

Ebdon made himself look a right clueless sausage Head.

it was a free ball and it was obvious a Putting off Tactic or he has been playing Snooker Professionally for 20+ years without a clue.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:I don't think it's a case of he needs disciplining, I think that sort of action will turn people off him and make him less popular. Things like that do stick in your mind when you're a fan and impact on your support in subsequent tournaments.

When I watched Ben Harrison in the Q School the ref awarded his opponent a free ball which blatantly wasn't a free ball. The opponent knew it wasn't but checked that the ref called free ball and took it on and won the frame. Ben protested but reluctantly accepted. Michael Wasley who was sitting watching with me was livid. Once again, if it had been played in front of an audience then Ben would have been the one who came out smelling of roses and his opponent as a parakeet. So it's not all about the winning, and that's why Jimmy White is as popular as he is.

I have seen so many of these antics from Ebbo, that I think he truly believes he can do what the hell he likes.

Other players would not in a million years question a refs decision to that extent, it was not a couple of seconds or a "are you sure" - he put the lady under extreme pressure and that is not on. He does this sort of rubbish with regularity and WSA needs to ban the runt. <ok>

Postby Roland

Ivy is hard as nails, she won't be intimidated and I've been really impressed with her free ball calling in the past so even though I didn't see the incident, the fact she was the ref makes me know she was right!

I love it when Ivy is reffing when you go and watch live. Her movement around the players is great to watch. If Carlsberg made refs.

Postby Wildey

if Ebdon thought he could intimidate Ivy he made a Mistake she stood up to him and told him whats what.

Postby sigsky

I'd like to see this. Is the video available anywhere?

Postby Smart

totally disrespectful to his opponent, the referee, to China, to the Sponsor, to the snooker public.......and because he is untouchable WSA will do nothing about it.

Quite laughable that the match ended as it did so lamely after the goings on before, he ultimately pocketed the pink to the corner pocket intentionally or not, who knows he is such a freak <doh>

Postby jojo

the guy is a moron this kind of thing with him has been happening too much it nothing new

well done to the chinese referee for standing up to him and not being intimidated by this bald idiot for five minutes he disputing the referees decision despite her reasoning to him quite a few times

he like blowing his own trumpet but someone should tell him he doesnt run the game

Postby Wildey

Alan Mcmanus tweeted at the Time

Alan McManus ‏@alan_mcmanus

It's a free ball by the proverbial mile.

Postby jojo

it was a freeball but that almost beside the point

the point is this bald freak undermine the referee for five whole minutes he try to indimidate her maybe because her english isnt good but she give him what for and good on her for that

i would like to see hearn take some action against him there must be a law there somewhere which against this

bringing the game into disrepute or lack of integrity or something but whatever it is he need telling off

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:it was a freeball but that almost beside the point

the point is this bald freak undermine the referee for five whole minutes he try to indimidate her maybe because her english isnt good but she give him what for and good on her for that

i would like to see hearn take some action against him there must be a law there somewhere which against this

bringing the game into disrepute or lack of integrity or something but whatever it is he need telling off

if nothing else he at least needs to do a million lines

"i must Learn and understand the free ball rule"

etc etc etc

Postby roy142857

Wild WC wrote:if Ebdon thought he could intimidate Ivy he made a Mistake she stood up to him and told him whats what.

Don't know if he's just plain daft, trying to gain unfair advantage or just was having a bad day, but certainly doesn't make Ebdon look good.

If anything good came out of this, it's that we know Ivy will not give way to intimidation like this, those in charge of the refs should be pleased how well she did in difficult circumstances. Just well done to her.

Only bit of snooker I've managed to see all week, what with one thing and another ... and I get to see this ... Grrrrr

Postby jojo

he need to apologise to the referee first because that was out of order questioning her judgement for a full five minutes even when he the only one who disagree with her is wrong

personally i would set stephen lee on him to rape him and hopefully split him in half

ha

Postby Smart

jojo wrote:he need to apologise to the referee first because that was out of order questioning her judgement for a full five minutes even when he the only one who disagree with her is wrong

personally i would set stephen lee on him to rape him and hopefully split him in half

ha

if Allen, Ronnie or any non-PC types had done it then it would of been headline news and a ban or fine would of been certain. Why does slap-head get special dispensation to be a cockerel head on his own terms <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Ebdon :bird:

He'll lose a lot of respect for this. Not what I'd expect from a multiple ranking event winner and fromer World Champion.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:Ebdon :bird:

He'll lose a lot of respect for this. Not what I'd expect from a multiple ranking event winner and fromer World Champion.

never had respect for him in the first place to be honest, he done this type of bullocks for many years now :wave:

Postby jojo

he shouldnt get dispensation but he will because i dont think hearn give a flying buck

now you know me pal i dont mind a bit of controversy but this was out of order questioning the chinese woman for a full five minutes when he know she cant speak fluent english he got no moral but then anyone who been following his career and not in denial will know this is nothing new with him

he should be ashamed of himself

he should be forced to bend over the table and whiplashed with salt thrown in

ha

Postby Odrl

Smart wrote:if Allen, Ronnie or any non-PC types had done it then it would of been headline news and a ban or fine would of been certain.

Not sure about that to be honest... I've never seen anyone get a fine for arguing with the referee about this kind of situation. O'Sullivan in particular has had at least two confrontations like that with Leo Scullion, arguing over a miss call and a touching ball, when he was most likely in the wrong. ;-)

Postby Roland

I've just seen the incident. Don't tell me Ebdon has been playing for 20+ years and doesn't know what a free ball is! Ridiculous!

Postby Skullman

He obviously knew. He tried to grind Mags down and it almost worked, he was a mess near the end. Gamesmanship at its worst.

Postby Alpha

Ebdon knew full well it was a free ball, he was carrying on like that firstly to intimidate the ref (which didn't work) and to get underneath Maguire's skin (which did).
And yes, Ebdon's been at this for years.

Postby Roland

It'd be interesting to hear what Mags thought. Maybe the tv picture distorts the angle to make it seem more obvious than if you're actually there. It's hard to see if the yellow is touching and what the line going through the yellow and red is in relation to the cue ball. But it sure looks like an obvious free ball from the tv pictures.

Postby PLtheRef

Odrl wrote:
Smart wrote:if Allen, Ronnie or any non-PC types had done it then it would of been headline news and a ban or fine would of been certain.

Not sure about that to be honest... I've never seen anyone get a fine for arguing with the referee about this kind of situation. O'Sullivan in particular has had at least two confrontations like that with Leo Scullion, arguing over a miss call and a touching ball, when he was most likely in the wrong. ;-)

On top of that, Ronnie told Leo to get his eyes tested.

I'm not siding with Ebdon because his behaviour was pretty poor to say the least in continuing the debate for five minutes, and on top of the bargain that he did so when he was in the wrong too. Still it gives a whole new meaning to the term 'you could see that all the way in China'

I do think that disciplinary action might be a bit over the top considering other examples. Take MJW, he came out and slated Eirian Williams repeatedly for the call that he made. I do think that Peter should definitely apologise for the commotion caused at the very least but I think fining him might be a tad over the top.

Postby Wildey

Odrl wrote:

Terry Camilleri has been on the receiving end of Ronnie being a bit of a tit on many occasions.

but i must say this ebdon thing is the worst ive ever seen because he was arguing on a rule decision that was the correct decision.