Topic locked

Re: Bank of Communications Shanghai Masters Last 16 Discussi

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Was Selby sick or why did he lose 5-1 to Cope? He isn't quite the same player since that neck injury I'm afraid.

Jet lag. Obviously that sounds like an excuse but when you're not sleeping and feel zombie tired during the day it's hard to play your best snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Some random thoughts concerning the comments on the previous page:

- Trump is NOT a one hit wonder but he's experiencing a major setback this year. And I'm pretty sure that it will take some time before he gets back to the level of performance he produced in 2011.
- terrible choices with the tv tables by the organizers
- I think 12 out of the 16 players are over 30 years old.

Yeah, to say Trump is a one-hit wonder is incorrect. He's not on form at the moment, but that's not the same thing. Neither is John Higgins.

I was the first to disagree when people were acting like Trump was God before he won anything, but if you're basing it on how he's done in tournaments, he's obviously more than a one-hit wonder now. He won more than one ranking tournament for a start.

I think there is some jealousy of him from Ronnie fanboys that in 2011, he was called the next Ronnie. rofl

Postby Monique

Jewell wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:the question is: why was he so jet jagged this time, it's not like this was the first time he played a tournament in China...

This is what I was thinking as well.

If you traveled more you would know that jet-lag is unpredictable. Sometimes you adjust rather easily, other times you struggle badly and more often than not you can't put your finger on any reason for it. I guess though than Mark as defending champion has been asked to do a lot of promo work and surely that has not helped. When I write "I guess", in fact I'm certain that he has been asked a few things and there might be more that I don't know about. Not to mention what he probably had to do for his Chinese sponsor K-boxing.

Postby Roland

Yeah as Monique says, sometimes you cope better than others and you just can't predict if you're going to get a couple of good nights sleep or not once you get to your destination. Sometimes it takes me a week to get right, other times a day or so.

Anyway what's the latest?

Williams 2-1 Walden
Bingham 3-1 Cope
Carter 4-0 Maguire
Perry 4-0 Robbo

Postby Monique

From what I've seen Mags and Robbo struggling really badly and both very frustrated.
The tables conditions are good, all players bar Ebdon said so. But there is something I noticed and I had a word with Michaela and she noticed it as well. In the main arena there are big screens above the tables (well not just above, they are rather above the players heads when they are seated). They are made of a semi-transparent fabric. When the intensity of light in the television varies, that induces a kind of flickering on the table also - a bit a similar effect you can have when you look into a room where a television plays but you don't actually see the screen. It's not extremely strong, but it is noticeable and it means that the table lighting isn't stable. I have not heard players complain, and I wonder if they noticed or understood where it comes from. Someone complained that the lighting under the table is flickering. I didn't notice that and I wonder if that person was not misguided.

Postby Alpha

Sonny wrote:Yeah as Monique says, sometimes you cope better than others and you just can't predict if you're going to get a couple of good nights sleep or not once you get to your destination. Sometimes it takes me a week to get right, other times a day or so.

Anyway what's the latest?

Williams 2-1 Walden
Bingham 3-1 Cope
Carter 4-0 Maguire
Perry 4-0 Robbo

It's not just the jetlag, as Monique said, as defending champion and world no.1 Selby would have been expected to do the majority of the promo work (besides Ding) and his time would have been eaten up by it. Doesn't completely excuse such a limp display against Cope but there you have it.

Postby hendry_fan

Good morning all,yawwwwwwwwwwwn,stretch!!.:-)

Flippin eck,i thought i was still dreaming when i just saw the scores!!

*Allister Carter* 5-0 Stephen Maguire

*Joe Perry* 5-0 Neil Robertson

You haven,t mis-typed have you Wild!!. ;-)

Well we all know Maguire can go off the boil within no time but whats happened to Robbo!,he was one of the most consistent of the current crop not that long ago!!. :dizzy:

Postby Monique

Press conferences so far not really worth uploading. In short:
Ali: very happy with his game. Feels that is safety is to notch and he's scoring heavily when in. Didn't give Mags much chances.
Stuart: also happy with his game. Personal happiness has been a big factor in his break through over the last 2 seasons.
Joe Perry: ??? couldn't really hear him at times. Looked happy though but admitted that it wasn't Neil's day.

Postby Wildey

Thursday 20th of September

7.30am

Mark Williams 5-2 Ricky Walden
Jamie Cope 1-5 Stuart Bingham
Allister Carter 5-0 Stephen Maguire
Joe Perry 5-0 Neil Robertson

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Just asked Mark Williams about that flickering of the lighting. Said it doesn't matter to him.

if you playing badly you notice everything when you playing well your focused and everything else is immaterial.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:
Monique wrote:Just asked Mark Williams about that flickering of the lighting. Said it doesn't matter to him.

if you playing badly you notice everything when you playing well your focused and everything else is immaterial.

That could well be, but Michaela is certainly focused on her reffing and she did notice. I did of course because, as a photographer, I pay attention to ambient light.

Postby Sickpotter

Kinda fancy Higgins for the title at this moment but what do I know, not watching the streaming (blocked at work) :mood:

Can anyone tell me how his form is? Scoreline accurate reflection of play or are his opponents just not producing?

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:Kinda fancy Higgins for the title at this moment but what do I know, not watching the streaming (blocked at work) :mood:

Can anyone tell me how his form is? Scoreline accurate reflection of play or are his opponents just not producing?

higgins not on streaming lol

Postby snooky147

Wild WC wrote:this one is for snooky and Alex

Stephen Lee 0-4 Graeme Dott

Thanks mate but I am avidly watching live scoring and taking nothing for granted especially with Lee who has done Graeme so many times from a losing position. Graeme needs to stay focused.