Topic locked

Re: Wuxi Classic Wild Card and Last 32 Discussion !!!!!!!!!!

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:There is no such thing as a snooker season any more. It is just a continuous, neverending sea of frames,matches, and tournaments, most of which mean nothing.

As snooker reaches saturation point, even diehard fans will become sick of the site of the latest 50 break and reach for the remote, just to turn over, to watch a repeat of Columbo.

Quality is better than quantity.

but it gives people snooker when they feel like watching it and not contained to a few weeks each year ...

this is how real sports is run you don't hear Golf,Tennis and Football fans complaining of too much so why should it be a problem for snooker ??

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Vodka always gets like this when snooker is on in the summer

yup but its not compulsory to stay in during our long Hot humid 100 degree summers we get in Britain.

Postby Wildey

in china its important to remember the TV Matches are pre determined on the order of play ie TB 1 First etc so the order i have it down on here viewtopic.php?f=399&t=3571&p=235354#p235354 is TB 1 down to TB 4 with Table 1 and 2 Televised so Tomorrows TV Matches are

1st session
Mark Williams v Tom Ford
Shaun Murphy v Ken Doherty

2nd session
Judd Trump v Dominic Dale
Stephen Maguire v Rod Lawler

Postby kenneth79

Mike White beaten by a Chinese infant barely out of his nappies! rofl . And Ding performs to his worst level at home as usual. <doh> Still he can turn it around.

One thing is certain. The amount of quality teenagers in China will in a decade mean a Chinese dominated tour when these youngsters develop and the 40-somethings from UK/Ireland that dominate the tour fall away.

Postby Wildey

Wild WC wrote:in china its important to remember the TV Matches are pre determined on the order of play ie TB 1 First etc so the order i have it down on here viewtopic.php?f=399&t=3571&p=235354#p235354 is TB 1 down to TB 4 with Table 1 and 2 Televised so Tomorrows TV Matches are

1st session
Mark Williams v Tom Ford
Shaun Murphy v Ken Doherty

2nd session
Judd Trump v Dominic Dale
Stephen Maguire v Rod Lawler

so bearing that in Mind Jamie Burnett v Mark Davis is a scheduled TV Match for Thursday <laugh>

Hopefully Common sense might prevail and some re Jigging.

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 26th of June

7.30am

Neil Robertson 1-5 Jamie Burnett
Ken Doherty 5-4
Lu Ning
Stuart Bingham 5-4 Peter Ebdon
Mark Allen 5-1 Rouzi Maimaiti

12.30pm

Ding Junhui 2-5 Mark Davis
Michael White 4-5 Zhou Yuelong
Allister Carter 3-5 Fergal O'Brien
Martin Gould 3-5 Jamie Cope

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 27th of June

7.30am

Mark Williams v Tom Ford TV
Shaun Murphy v Ken Doherty TV
Ricky Walden v Zhu Yinghui
Andrew Higginson v Robert Milkins

12.30pm

Judd Trump v Dominic Dale TV
Stephen Maguire v Rod Lawler TV
Stephen Lee v Marcus Campbell
Graeme Dott v Zhou Yuelong

Postby Skullman

Just came back. No real surprises except for Burnett beating Robbo. Means that elusive Robbo vs Selby match will have to wait until another tournament. Did Burnett play really well or did Robbo just play awful?

Postby Andre147

Wild WC wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:There is no such thing as a snooker season any more. It is just a continuous, neverending sea of frames,matches, and tournaments, most of which mean nothing.

As snooker reaches saturation point, even diehard fans will become sick of the site of the latest 50 break and reach for the remote, just to turn over, to watch a repeat of Columbo.

Quality is better than quantity.

but it gives people snooker when they feel like watching it and not contained to a few weeks each year ...

this is how real sports is run you don't hear Golf,Tennis and Football fans complaining of too much so why should it be a problem for snooker ??

Yes I agree... I too am a diehard snookerfan.. I try to watch every tournament, every frame, every ball that is struck... But I come from a country (Portugal) where the summer is one of our main attracions, so when this period of the year comes around I don't watch as much snooker as I do when the summer finishes.... Snooker will always be an indoor sport, so when this freaking heat is around, it becomes quite difficult to just sit at home and watch it, when obviously there are better things to do, like going to the beach and have some fun with friends..

But yeah, I agree with this calendar, it's not saturation by any means, it's just, like Wild said, a chance for all people who like and follow snooker to watch it when they like... and most of the players agree with it.. And another funny thing is that 3 or 4 years ago, when we ONLY had 6 ranking events under the regime of Sir Stupid Walker, people were complaining that there should be more ranking events... Now that we have a proper snooker season, like in Tennis or Golf, people say it is becoming too much.... Better wake up for the real world because this is how a professional sport should be run.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Just came back. No real surprises except for Burnett beating Robbo. Means that elusive Robbo vs Selby match will have to wait until another tournament. Did Burnett play really well or did Robbo just play awful?

Yeah, the fe first matches of the season, players are obviously a bit rusty, and lack match practice, so it is understandable.. Ding did play very bad against Davis, but it is becoming a habit when he plays in his home country..

We'll have to wait a bit longer for that prospect of Robbo v Selby yeah... I personally too can't wait when that happens.. But I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later.. In a final of a major would be the icing on the cake.. but the way the draw is made, they will always meet in the semis... don't matter, it's an important match too..

Postby Casey

Wild WC wrote:Wednesday 27th of June

7.30am

Mark Williams v Tom Ford TV
Shaun Murphy v Ken Doherty TV
Ricky Walden v Zhu Yinghui
Andrew Higginson v Robert Milkins

12.30pm

Judd Trump v Dominic Dale TV
Stephen Maguire v Rod Lawler TV
Stephen Lee v Marcus Campbell
Graeme Dott v Zhou Yuelong

Williams v Ford & Trump v Dale should be two very good games. I get the feeling we will get a surprise finalist in this one....Mark Davis maybe?

Postby Wildey

Maybe Rodney Walker was not so stupid after all just Look at the Criticism some players throw at Barry Hearn.

he possibly wanted to keep on the Right Side of the players because Back then they had the Power to vote him in or out and he knew most was Happy being part time but giving the impression they weren't for the General Public.

Postby SnookerFan

I see Ken Doherty got past Lu Ning. I didn't expect that, considering how well Lu played in the China Open. And how marmite Ken plays most of the time these days.

I don't give Ken much chance against Smurphy, though Murphy usually has a stinker or two a season in him.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I see Ken Doherty got past Lu Ning. I didn't expect that, considering how well Lu played in the China Open. And how marmite Ken plays most of the time these days.

I don't give Ken much chance against Smurphy, though Murphy usually has a stinker or two a season in him.

Experience Counts for a hell of a lot Lu Ning did well to push Ken to a decider hes definitely one to watch.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I see Ken Doherty got past Lu Ning. I didn't expect that, considering how well Lu played in the China Open. And how marmite Ken plays most of the time these days.

Experience Counts for a hell of a lot Lu Ning did well to push Ken to a decider hes definitely one to watch.

The match against Shaun Murphy in China he played awesomely. I was the only one who watched that match, because Ronnie (or pussibly Judd) was on the other table. rofl

At the end of the match, I've never seen Shaun look so disheartened, he was sat staring at the floor, couldn't believe what had hit him.

But I guess, Lu Ning is never going to get underestimated again. Which was possibly partly what happened there.

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

The match against Shaun Murphy in China he played awesomely. I was the only one who watched that match, because Ronnie (or pussibly Judd) was on the other table. rofl

At the end of the match, I've never seen Shaun look so disheartened, he was sat staring at the floor, couldn't believe what had hit him.

But I guess, Lu Ning is never going to get underestimated again. Which was possibly partly what happened there.

He's only young and he's probably not very consistent. After beating Murphy he lost to Carter playing 20% of what he did against Murphy.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
He's only young and he's probably not very consistent. After beating Murphy he lost to Carter playing 20% of what he did against Murphy.

That's right, he got mullered by Carter after I said he was the future of snooker. Played awfully. :emb:

Hopefully consistency comes with more experience. The original Murphy game I saw him play better than most top professionals. Not just big centuries either, his match-play was spot on.

Postby Skullman

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Been a very good tournament so far.

Selby through & two of the main contenders in Robertson & Ding crash out. What more could I want?

Murphy out and MJW to not remember that he's a good player?

Postby Odrl

Wild WC wrote:Experience Counts for a hell of a lot Lu Ning did well to push Ken to a decider hes definitely one to watch.

He was 4-2 ahead as well, played ok up to that point, then started missing really easy balls. I think he had a simple scoring chance in every frame, but somehow Doherty won all three, even though he was missing a lot himself.

Lu was a bit unlucky in the decider as well, went in-off the final brown after a really good pot. ;-)

Postby MarkSelbyNo1Fan

Skullman wrote:
MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Been a very good tournament so far.

Selby through & two of the main contenders in Robertson & Ding crash out. What more could I want?

Murphy out and MJW to not remember that he's a good player?

Haha, yes but they haven't played yet. Could do with Trump out as well...