Topic locked

Re: Wuxi Classic Wild Card and Last 32 Discussion !!!!!!!!!!

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:Worldsnooker on twitter
Matthew Stevens has withdrawn from Wuxi Classic due to a back problem. Joe Perry gets a bye into Match 31 (L16) to play Walden/Holt/Yinghui

its a nonsense that they dont just re-jig the draw than have 1 guy get a but to last 16 whilst 3 others players have to battle it out to face him.

Common sense approach would be let Holt skip wildcard round and play Walden in last 32

and make Perry play Yiunghui in the last 32 so he has to earn his place in the last 16, not just be given it

i agree with you there <ok>

the nonsense is Perry and Holt are both qualifiers yet at the venue Perry only has to win 1 game to make the quarters wheras Holt has to win 3 games.

and in general, im fed up with the pros having to play more qualifiers and already at a disadvantage as it is, then having to play an additional wildcard round game to get to the venue

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:No one likes the wildcard round except for the chinese sponsors and wildcards. As they have the money we're stuck with it.

But Why ?

seriously Whats to gain from it for Sponsors.

Postby Alpha

Wild WC wrote:
Skullman wrote:No one likes the wildcard round except for the chinese sponsors and wildcards. As they have the money we're stuck with it.

But Why ?

I don't think it's necessarily the sponsors call. I think I read it was a condition of the Chinese Snooker Association funding the vents themselves that there must be a certain number of Chinese players in the event. Hence the wildcards. Don't necessarily agree with it, but World Snooker have no choice.

Postby Monique

The sponsors do it because, whatever your lot want to believe, the Chinese audience wants it. It's their lads and they want to see them play. Is that so odd? And don't tell me the arenas are half empty. The front rows, that are excessively expensive for the average Chinese viewer are. At PTCs, be it in Belgium or in Ireland, or at the first World Series in Warsaw there was a massive turn up for the amateurs rounds. People don't really care if "their" boys get a hiding, they want to see them play all the same.

Postby Wildey

Alpha wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

But Why ?

I don't think it's necessarily the sponsors call. I think I read it was a condition of the Chinese Snooker Association funding the vents themselves that there must be a certain number of Chinese players in the event. Hence the wildcards. Don't necessarily agree with it, but World Snooker have no choice.

yea but its a bit self indulgent that they HAVE to have Chinese players .

a few years down the line when maybe chinese dominating the Draws should we have similar clause in the UK Championship that Wild Card Brits must be in the Draw.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:The sponsors do it because, whatever your lot want to believe, the Chinese audience wants it. It's their lads and they want to see them play. Is that so odd? And don't tell me the arenas are half empty. The front rows, that are excessively expensive for the average Chinese viewer are. At PTCs, be it in Belgium or in Ireland, or at the first World Series in Warsaw there was a massive turn up for the amateurs rounds. People don't really care if "their" boys get a hiding, they want to see them play all the same.

but earn it get on tour and really earn a spot as of right not because of race.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:
Monique wrote:The sponsors do it because, whatever your lot want to believe, the Chinese audience wants it. It's their lads and they want to see them play. Is that so odd? And don't tell me the arenas are half empty. The front rows, that are excessively expensive for the average Chinese viewer are. At PTCs, be it in Belgium or in Ireland, or at the first World Series in Warsaw there was a massive turn up for the amateurs rounds. People don't really care if "their" boys get a hiding, they want to see them play all the same.

Those guys are not on tour, they just play in those events, without prize money and without ranking points. The pros who play them don't lose money or ranking points neither: if they lose they still get their round 1 loser points and money. Those are amateurs, if they can't beat them it's unlikely they will beat the seeds. Yes, it's one more match to play, but you can also look at it as one more match to get used to the conditions before meeting the seed who will be cold.

As for getting on the tour? How easy do you think it is for a Chinese youngster to come and play in the UK, in the Q-school? Or in the PTCs? Do you have ANY idea of the amount of money it represents for those guys, considering the massive difference between the average wages there and in UK? Not to mention the cultural difference and the language barrier? How many Brits do you think would "qualify" if Q-School was held in Beijing?

Postby Monique

Alpha wrote:The Chinese audience is interested in only one local player: Ding Junhui. On wildcard days, the arena looks half empty because it IS half empty.

I will be in Shanghai and I will take some pictures of the "upper" part of the arena…

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

Those guys are not on tour, they just play in those events, without prize money and without ranking points. The pros who play them don't lose money or ranking points neither: if they lose they still get their round 1 loser points and money. Those are amateurs, if they can't beat them it's unlikely they will beat the seeds. Yes, it's one more match to play, but you can also look at it as one more match to get used to the conditions before meeting the seed who will be cold.

As for getting on the tour? How easy do you think it is for a Chinese youngster to come and play in the UK, in the Q-school? Or in the PTCs? Do you have ANY idea of the amount of money it represents for those guys, considering the massive difference between the average wages there and in UK? Not to mention the cultural difference and the language barrier? How many Brits do you think would "qualify" if Q-School was held in Beijing?

to be honest i do not give a flying buck how much it costs WILD CARDS ARE TOTAL WASTE OF bucking TIME NO MATTER WHAT bucking LANGUAGE THEY bucking ARE.,

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:business as usual. Using insults when you have nothing sensible to say to defend your point of view.

YOU TRY TALKING bucking SENSIBLE

I Know how much it potentially costs that was not what i was bucking saying and beside how is what you bullshitting about is relevant here.

You go on about Cost this cost that like a bucking Broken Record it gets on my bucking tits.

Postby Muppet147

Wild WC wrote:
Monique wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

to be honest i do not give a flying buck how much it costs WILD CARDS ARE TOTAL WASTE OF bucking TIME NO MATTER WHAT bucking LANGUAGE THEY bucking ARE.,

Looks like you fixed the broken F key on your computer ...you freakin' nutjob.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:
Monique wrote:business as usual. Using insults when you have nothing sensible to say to defend your point of view.

YOU TRY TALKING bucking SENSIBLE

I Know how much it potentially costs that was not what i was bucking saying and beside how is what you bullshitting about is relevant here.

You go on about Cost this cost that like a bucking Broken Record it gets on my bucking tits.

yes it IS relevant because the cost of it, and the distance, prevent those Chinese lads to get on the tour. That was an answer to your "get on the tour or … " They can't. There is NO WAY they can do it unless they are one in a million who is from a very wealthy family.

To be blunt wild, the cost of it is a major problem already for the Irish, ask Snooker HQ, and even more so for most Europeans. When we were at the German Masters, Steve Kent and myself had dinner with two Polish guys. They just had a salad and wouldn't take a drink because they couldn't afford it (we offered them of course) and that's because 2 days in Berlin were costing them half of their monthly wages. How can they pay for 3 weeks in Sheffield then, plus the entry fees?
Don't you understand how massively biased the qualification structure in favour of the UK residents? Don't you understand that if you want the sport to grow you need to promote the local lads?

Postby Witz78

Muppet147 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Monique wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

Looks like you fixed the broken F key on your computer ...you freakin' nutjob.

:-) :-D :D :happy: :-( :sad: >-( ;-) :blush: :emb: :boo: :mood: <cool> :spot on: :hatoff: :? :chin: :roll: :grrr: :no: <doh> :bowdown: :gag: rofl :john: :irk: :chuckle:

Postby JIMO96

The WSA can't have it both ways; they can't insist on all the Chinese guys outside the top 16 qualifying for their OWN events in Sheffield, AND removing the wild cards. The Chinese have every right to expect local talent to be involved in THEIR events.

It's not ideal the way the wild cards are shoe-horned into the draw for umpteen reasons, but this is the only way to do it, so long as the WSA insist on the cheap option of only taking 32 to China.

How many UK players would make it through Q School if it was held in China? There'd be one or 2, but they'd be massively in the minority, i.e they'd have the same disadvantage as all the Chinese do over here.

Postby Wildey

JIMO96 wrote:The WSA can't have it both ways; they can't insist on all the Chinese guys outside the top 16 qualifying for their OWN events in Sheffield, AND removing the wild cards. The Chinese have every right to expect local talent to be involved in THEIR events.

It's not ideal the way the wild cards are shoe-horned into the draw for umpteen reasons, but this is the only way to do it, so long as the WSA insist on the cheap option of only taking 32 to China.

How many UK players would make it through Q School if it was held in China? There'd be one or 2, but they'd be massively in the minority, i.e they'd have the same disadvantage as all the Chinese do over here.

i agree with that but then monique will complain about the cost of UK Players going over to china to qualify for a Chinese event.

its absolutely bonkers the last few years where Chinese Players are Missing from the shanghai masters because they cant get visas to qualify for their home event in SHEFFIELD OR Before that Bloody Pontins Prestatyn <doh>

Postby Alpha

I honestly still can't see why World Snooker can't have a Q School in Sheffield for the UK/European players and a Q School in China for the Asian players. If they are really going to abolish all nominations after this season (apart from the World Amateur and Junior Champion), there is an easy and simple solution.
The costs involved for the Chinese players to have to fly to Sheffield to qualify in their own events and then to have to fly back to China to play in their own events is another reason why it irritates me why guys like O'Sullivan and Allen moan about flying to China 5 times a year when the Chinese boys have to live 9 months of the year out of a suitcase.

Postby Monique

Alpha wrote:I honestly still can't see why World Snooker can't have a Q School in Sheffield for the UK/European players and a Q School in China for the Asian players. If they are really going to abolish all nominations after this season (apart from the World Amateur and Junior Champion), there is an easy and simple solution.
The costs involved for the Chinese players to have to fly to Sheffield to qualify in their own events and then to have to fly back to China to play in their own events is another reason why it irritates me why guys like O'Sullivan and Allen moan about flying to China 5 times a year when the Chinese boys have to live 9 months of the year out of a suitcase.

For the zillions time: the Chinese players who are on the main tour don't fly to Sheffield to qualify. They LIVE in UK. All of them.
But indeed, an Asian tour with local Q-School is the way to go.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Alpha wrote:I honestly still can't see why World Snooker can't have a Q School in Sheffield for the UK/European players and a Q School in China for the Asian players. If they are really going to abolish all nominations after this season (apart from the World Amateur and Junior Champion), there is an easy and simple solution.

For the zillions time: the Chinese players who are on the main tour don't fly to Sheffield to qualify. They LIVE in UK. All of them.

ok

if shoe was on the other foot would Ronnie or Allen do what Robbo or Ding has done ( ie move to another country to live) without ONE BIG MOAN.

Postby JIMO96

Monique wrote:

Monique, we KNOW that they live here......you've told us often enough. How did they get here? Taxi? Train? A lift up the motorway from a fellow pro? Regardless of how you play it down, they have all made MASSIVE sacrifices to play on an obesely UK-centric tour.

Postby Monique

JIMO96 wrote:
Monique wrote:

Monique, we KNOW that they live here......you've told us often enough. How did they get here? Taxi? Train? A lift up the motorway from a fellow pro? Regardless of how you play it down, they have all made MASSIVE sacrifices to play on an obesely UK-centric tour.

Well if you READ alpha's post it seems he doesn't know it, he goes on about "flying to qualify", they don't. I do know it. And I'm the first to say - if you ever care to READ what i write - that they are at massive disadvantage. It's not easy to live as an expat, in an alien culture, and confronted with a language you don't master. So what's your point except being aggressive towards me?

Postby JIMO96

That wasn't aggression, that was me expressing that I've heard you say the same thing "a zillion" times this week, mainly as a pedantic measure towards anyone who dares to think the Asians travel for each and every tournament. Whether they fly over multiple times a year, or once in their life is irrelevant here.

Postby Monique

JIMO96 wrote:That wasn't aggression, that was me expressing that I've heard you say the same thing "a zillion" times this week, mainly as a pedantic measure towards anyone who dares to think the Asians travel for each and every tournament. Whether they fly over multiple times a year, or once in their life is irrelevant here.

It IS relevant insofar they don't travel any more or any less than the UK players. The problem is NOT there. The problem is the situation BEFORE they qualify and I'm the first to say that it's unfair to them. The problem is also about being in a foreign country and an alien culture and therefore more vulnerable to loneliness and isolation. That also puts them at a disadvantage.
If I come across as pedantic, sorry, but I've been stating the obvious only too often and I'm rather fed up and exasperated with it.

Postby Alpha

Monique wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:
Monique wrote:

Well if you READ alpha's post it seems he doesn't know it, he goes on about "flying to qualify", they don't. I do know it. And I'm the first to say - if you ever care to READ what i write - that they are at massive disadvantage. It's not easy to live as an expat, in an alien culture, and confronted with a language you don't master. So what's your point except being aggressive towards me?

My first post was obviously a typo Monique. You know full well I meant the unfairness of the Chinese players having to live in Sheffield for 9 months of the year while the Brits moan about having to spend a total of 5 weeks (plus PR time) in China.

Postby Skullman

Monique wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:That wasn't aggression, that was me expressing that I've heard you say the same thing "a zillion" times this week, mainly as a pedantic measure towards anyone who dares to think the Asians travel for each and every tournament. Whether they fly over multiple times a year, or once in their life is irrelevant here.

It IS relevant insofar they don't travel any more or any less than the UK players. The problem is NOT there. The problem is the situation BEFORE they qualify and I'm the first to say that it's unfair to them. The problem is also about being in a foreign country and an alien culture and therefore more vulnerable to loneliness and isolation. That also puts them at a disadvantage.
If I come across as pedantic, sorry, but I've been stating the obvious only too often and I'm rather fed up and exasperated with it.

If they're lonely, why not try and find others of the same nationality? It's not like they're the only Chinese people in Britain.