Post a reply

Re: Ronnie the 5th: Mission Accomplished!

Postby Skullman

Wildey wrote:
Skullman wrote:One possible suggestion for Hendry and Davis not winning as much in their 30s, while ROS and Higgins have still managed to 6 out of the last 7 in their thirties: Hendry and Davis were prolific winners overall, while ROS and Higgins had dips when they didn't win much as much and weren't at the top of their game, so maybe they didn't burn themselves out as much?

by the Time Davis reached 30 he had achieved his goal nothing left for him to aim for Joe Davis 15 World Titles was in a totally different era.

Same For Hendry

When Higgins reached 30 he had 1 World Title and Ronnie had 2 the Hendry and Davis records still achievable and the Motivation that each others careers put on to them.

Like I said, just a guess. I'm sure it's a combination of factors.

Postby GJ

Good point wild

Do you think a player from the current era like robbo the goal will be to get 3 worlds and beat williams 2 .

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Good point wild

Do you think a player from the current era like robbo the goal will be to get 3 worlds and beat williams 2 .

you need goals for motivation and Robbo and Selby has that Goals.

Take Robbo hes overtaken Ken Doherty's Career Now John Parrott is firmly in sight before Overhauling Jimmy White and Peter Ebdon....all that is very achievable in the next 2 years.

Postby GJ

a side issue i wonder what odds hendo was when trailing white 14-8

wild

you could have made a clean fortune if you bet on hendo as he would have been huge odds at that stage

Postby Wildey

and lets be honest John Higgins has a goal of no 5 and Ronnie sees the nugget in sight.

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:and lets be honest John Higgins has a goal of no 5 and Ronnie sees the nugget in sight.

those two 38 year olds can shove it 2014 is robbos year

:hatoff:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:a side issue i wonder what odds hendo was when trailing white 14-8

wild

you could have made a clean fortune if you bet on hendo as he would have been huge odds at that stage

at 14-8 down i thought he had lost at 14-10 going in to the final session i was totally relaxed i knew he would win.

and from 14-13 down he made 3 centuries in 5 frames.

Postby Skullman

GJ wrote:
Wildey wrote:and lets be honest John Higgins has a goal of no 5 and Ronnie sees the nugget in sight.

Just like 2011, 2012 and 2013 were? At least Robbo has a World Title, so some of the pressure's off. Selby's getting close to his last realistic chance...

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:
GJ wrote:a side issue i wonder what odds hendo was when trailing white 14-8

wild

at 14-8 down i thought he had lost at 14-10 going in to the final session i was totally relaxed i knew he would win.

im going to try and find some youtube footage on it now <cool>

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:

Just like 2011, 2012 and 2013 were? At least Robbo has a World Title, so some of the pressure's off. Selby's getting close to his last realistic chance...

i think robbo will have a good chance till hes at least 37/38 IMO

He has a strong all round game like higgins and john won 3 more worlds from the age of 32 and robbo is 32 next year

so im hopeful :spot on:

Postby Witz78

Skullman wrote:One possible suggestion for Hendry and Davis not winning as much in their 30s, while ROS and Higgins have still managed to 6 out of the last 7 in their thirties: Hendry and Davis were prolific winners overall, while ROS and Higgins had dips when they didn't win much as much and weren't at the top of their game, so maybe they didn't burn themselves out as much?

Its a half valid point but i still cant fathom how Davis and Hendry can go from almost total dominance to hardly winning anything of note. Motivation alone cant be the issue. If your a born winner, then you dont just wake up one day without that mentality.

Still a mystery to me how Hendry wins 17 majors in an 8 year period of dominance up till the age of 27, then he only wins 1 more major (99 worlds) in his career.

Postby TheRocket

Do you think that the decline of Ronnie and Higgins will suddenly start, like from one day to the next or will this be a long process? I think , because of Ronnies natural skills he will hold himself longer on the top. He is still the best in the breakbuilding and scoring deparment and his safeties are still top. Higgins on the other hand seems to become weaker in every deparment. He was a heavy scorer in his peak times, now not anymore. His safeties nowadays are also imprecise and he missed a lot of sitters. This is usually a sign of decline.

But you never know with Higgins so we have to wait and watch the next season. Generally I'm very excited how long the 92 generation will keep winning titles and when the end will come.

Postby GJ

rocket

higgins is such a good match player never write him off i think he will have a good season coming up.

Postby TheRocket

GJ wrote:rocket

higgins is such a good match player never write him off i think he will have a good season coming up.

That's why I said you never know with him. But he became weaker in the scoring and safety department but wouldn't surprise me if he still drags his way through and win titles.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:

How old was the oldest player to win the World Championship for the first time since 1990?

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:

How old was the oldest player to win the World Championship for the first time since 1990?

Ebdon 32 in 2002 perhaps ?

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:

ebdon i think :chin:

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:

Peter Ebdon 2002 at the age of almost 32.

Postby GJ

whats more likely lads

robbo getting a 2nd worlds first or selby breaking his duck ? ?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:Do you think that the decline of Ronnie and Higgins will suddenly start, like from one day to the next or will this be a long process? I think , because of Ronnies natural skills he will hold himself longer on the top. He is still the best in the breakbuilding and scoring deparment and his safeties are still top. Higgins on the other hand seems to become weaker in every deparment. He was a heavy scorer in his peak times, now not anymore. His safeties nowadays are also imprecise and he missed a lot of sitters. This is usually a sign of decline.

But you never know with Higgins so we have to wait and watch the next season. Generally I'm very excited how long the 92 generation will keep winning titles and when the end will come.

Decline is always a slow progress.

I think Higgins's game is very draining. He has to put a lot of energy in to reach his best. Ronnie on the other hand doesn't seem to have to invest so much to play his game. It's more of a natural flow than hard work. I think that helps a lot.

The 1992 generation isn't as good looking as in 2010/11. That season Williams and Higgins dominated the tour. Williams is finished now I'm afraid. Higgins is not, at least not yet. He won a ranking event against Trump last season. And he's a much better player than Williams. But there are worrying signs and if he can't turn it around next season, his great days might very well be over. Stephen Lee isn't even playing at the moment.

Ronnie is by far the strongest player of the 92 class.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:whats more likely lads

robbo getting a 2nd worlds first or selby breaking his duck ? ?

OK, Ebdon was 32 in 2002. My prediction: If Selby doesn't win before he's 33, he'll never win it. So Mark has 3 tries left.

Honestly I think Robbo has a better chance of getting his 2nd before Selby gets his first.

Postby TheRocket

Yeah I agree. Higgins has to put much more effort to win a big match and this costs him a lot of energy. Especially if you get older, this will get the better of you. It's like Federer and Nadal. Federer is technically superior to Nadal and have this natural skills that he had to put less effort to win matches while Nadal gives everything and play to his absolute limit (physically). And this caters for injuries.

Postby Roland

O'Sullivan is physically fitter than Higgins, that's obvious and is probably why he's done better in the last couple of Worlds. Abilitywise there's nothing between them as they've shown throughout their careers.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:O'Sullivan is physically fitter than Higgins, that's obvious and is probably why he's done better in the last couple of Worlds. Abilitywise there's nothing between them as they've shown throughout their careers.

I heard higgins after his first worlds crown started drinking alot and wasnt practicing much

true ??????
Last edited by GJ on 07 May 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

Sonny wrote:O'Sullivan is physically fitter than Higgins, that's obvious and is probably why he's done better in the last couple of Worlds. Abilitywise there's nothing between them as they've shown throughout their careers.

I always saw Ronnie abilitywise slightly ahead of Higgins while Higgins is stronger in the mental deparment which balances it.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:

I always saw Ronnie abilitywise slightly ahead of Higgins while Higgins is stronger in the mental deparment which balances it.

I wanted to write exactly the same thing.

Postby Roland

Yeah that's a better way of putting it. O'Sullivan more artistry, Higgins more efficiency but both equally capable of clearing the board when asked the question.