Post a reply

Re: The Final : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Barry Hawkins

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:Quiet on here.today............. :wave:

People are saving themselves for the Legends Cup. It won't do for people to be bored of talking snooker by the time a tournament of that magnitude begins. :hatoff:

Postby Casey

Jewell wrote:
Casey wrote:Now Ronnie is free once again to dictate his terms and more tournaments than not will be missing the World Champion.

So what?

Just be grateful Ronnie is still around and performing at the highest level.

As a fan of the sport, I want the World champion playing in a fair % of the events. I am sure he will play in the UK, Masters, Champions of Champions and the Worlds. For the rest of the events, not having the World champion there is a big miss. I don’t think that can be denied.

Ronnie is right to do what suites him, he owes the game nothing but as a fan of the sport I would have much preferred a World champion that would be the leading light in taking the game forward from the front.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Jewell wrote:
Casey wrote:Now Ronnie is free once again to dictate his terms and more tournaments than not will be missing the World Champion.

So what?

Just be grateful Ronnie is still around and performing at the highest level.

As a fan of the sport, I want the World champion playing in a fair % of the events. I am sure he will play in the UK, Masters, Champions of Champions and the Worlds. For the rest of the events, not having the World champion there is a big miss. I don’t think that can be denied.

Ronnie is right to do what suites him, he owes the game nothing but as a fan of the sport I would have much preferred a World champion that would be the leading light in taking the game forward from the front.

he owes the game his children's education surely that's worth him putting a little more effort in to being professional <ok>

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Ronnie doesn't owe anything to anybody. He's done his fair share of promoting the sport throughout his career. It is now time for somebody else to step up to the plate, can't keep relying on Ronnie to take snooker forward.

but how useless is a WORLD Champion that doesent play outside of Sheffield.

im sure the people of sheffield are overjoyed that the city being compared to the whole wide world but its only a small corner of England.

i think to be eligible to compete in a WORLD Championship you must first Travel across the World playing a fair bit.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wild WC wrote:but how useless is a WORLD Champion that doesent play outside of Sheffield.

im sure the people of sheffield are overjoyed that the city being compared to the whole wide world but its only a small corner of England.

i think to be eligible to compete in a WORLD Championship you must first Travel across the World playing a fair bit.

The WORLD Championship is a name only. Yes it happens to be the name of the most prestigious event out there, but it doesn't mean you have to compete around the world to be considered a proper WC.

I suppose in your weird and twisted logic you'd bar anyone form taking part in the Haikou WORLD Open unless they competed around the world regularly?

what a stupid thing to say that's the equivalent of saying Snooker is pointless why did ronnie bother coming back to play for a pathetic name only trophy.

With being World Champion comes responsibility...

i think to play for a World Title you have to start traveling the World....

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:what a stupid thing to say that's the equivalent of saying Snooker is pointless why did ronnie bother coming back to play for a pathetic name only trophy.

With being World Champion comes responsibility...

i think to play for a World Title you have to start traveling the World....

I haven't got time to reply properly to this. We'll carry this on later. <ok>

Needless to say, you're talking a load of bullocks here.

why

because your mate ron wont like to do some traveling?

awwwwww didms :baby: :baby:

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I agree with Wild, the World Champion is the most important representative of the game and he should compete in as many tournaments as possible.

i think its right that he has the option of picking and choosing like everyone else but surely with the money china giving to snooker he should play in some of their tournaments and the European PTC Which he has actually said he will (wait and see).

honest to god id make a criteria to make players eligible to play in a world championship and unfortunately for ronnie it would not include NO TRAVELING.

Postby Casey

Jewell wrote:Ronnie doesn't owe anything to anybody. He's done his fair share of promoting the sport throughout his career. It is now time for somebody else to step up to the plate, can't keep relying on Ronnie to take snooker forward.

I agree that he doesn’t owe the game anything anymore; he has done his bit in the past. That time has gone.

That’s why I wanted someone else, someone younger to win the title. A player that will travel the World and promote the game.

I used to dislike Ronnie very much, like really dislike. However, I realised that came mostly from one certain individual that used to post on forums I was a part of and it made me say things about Ronnie that I am not proud of.

Truth is, Ronnie is a player to admire and just be excited to watch. I don’t dislike him anymore, he isn’t my fav player but I can enjoy watching him play now as opposed to the past.

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:

I agree that he doesn’t owe the game anything anymore; he has done his bit in the past. That time has gone.

That’s why I wanted someone else, someone younger to win the title. A player that will travel the World and promote the game.

I used to dislike Ronnie very much, like really dislike. However, I realised that came mostly from one certain individual that used to post on forums I was a part of and it made me say things about Ronnie that I am not proud of.

Truth is, Ronnie is a player to admire and just be excited to watch. I don’t dislike him anymore, he isn’t my fav player but I can enjoy watching him play now and opposed to the past.

Spot on casey i echo all that <ok>

Postby DavieMac

snooker_loopy wrote:Fantastic achievement by the Rocket. I reckon John Higgins - at his best - would be the one player to have challenged him for the title but Higgins played awful.

If O'Sullivan continues to play he may break some more of Stephen Hendry's records. I think that's the real incentive for Ronnie to continue. Ronnie would love to win seven or even eight WCs. I'm sure he'll continue making comments to threaten to quit - that's part of his personality DNA (!) - but, thankfully, his contradictory personality doesn't impair his snooker skills. He won this year's tournament so easily. It's a bit worrying just how easily he won it. The other players must be thinking "how the heck do we beat this guy?!" I wish them good luck trying to find out how. :-)

Not playing like rubbish would be a start.

Bit embarrassing for these pretenders that a guy approaching 40 comes in after near a year out and pretty much cruises the WC.

They could all do with a bit of Barry Hawkins attitude :bowdown:

Postby Roland

Casey - that must be the same guy who is currently compiling various lists that no one gives a rubbish about and twiddling himself silly over them.

Postby Casey

I can imagine the lists and one sided stats that are being drawn up. I also have no doubt that the career and achievements of others is being desiccated to further boost the achievements of O'Sullivan.

Postby vodkadiet

The proof that snooker is very much a minority sport/game can easily be identified by the way the men in charge of the sport have pandered to the every want and need of one individual player.

However good O'Sullivan is at snooker he should have been banned many years ago. The list of his misdemeanours is endless. He has done things that would have got him substantial bans in more worldwide sports, yet he still gets vast amounts of snooker fans defending him?!!

I still don't understand how it is acceptable to deliberately lose a match(Tian Pengfei), just because you are not going to receive any financial reward, yet others get substantial bans for the same thing?!! Of course that incident is just the tip of the iceberg.

We had a situation this season whereby Barry Hearn begged O'Sullivan to play in the World Championship. I believe he changed the date for entries just to suit O'Sullivan? Shameful on Hearn's part. Can you imagine Wimbledon begging Federer to play? It is pathetic.

If O'Sullivan had been a tennis player he wouldn't still be on the tour. He would have been banned long ago. By accepting everything O'Sullivan has done, snooker authorities have basically admitted he is bigger than the game, that the game isn't strong enough to stand up to a certain player, and as far as O'Sullivan is concerned, anything goes. The authorities have been guilty of blatant double standards with regard to their acceptance of O'Sullivan's disgraceful behaviour.

O'Sullivan brings in fans, but at what cost? I know a few moderate snooker fans who have switched off from watching snooker, solely because of his unpunished indiscretions. I will now join them. Enough is enough.

As for the BBC coverage, that was cringeworthy. Steve Davis's obsession with trying to elevate O'Sullivan to 'Greatest of all time' status, just because of his hatred of Stephen Hendry has been going on for years. John Parrott's constant butt licking of O'Sullivan is just as bad. Dennis Taylor's constant references to golf, and the fact he still goes on incessantly and O'Sullivan's ability to play left handed is beyond a joke. Rob Walker's intros are becoming more and more bizarre. Snooker has prostituted itself for the sake of the A.D.D. society. Then there of course there is the pathetic "There's little Ronnie watching his dad", and showing the little kid time and time again. Fetch me the sickbucket!

O'Sullivan is now saying again he may not defend next year? What a liar! He knows full well he will be back. He wants to surpass Stphen Hendry's haul of 7 world titles, to cement his place in history. He knows having a few old codgers like Davis and Parrott he is the best ever won't cut it with the history books. He certainly isn't going to miss a World Championship at this stage of his career. No chance at all.

I am so sick of how snooker has pandered to this vile man, that I am now not only going to switch off, but as one of the world's most unlucky gamblers, I will make sure he doesn't surpass Hendry's world title haul, by placing large bets on him every year just before The World Championships start. It will be money well worth losing, just so that piece of garbage doesn't win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhnygLQ4Ar4
Last edited by vodkadiet on 07 May 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:I am amused at how Vodka has taken this win I must say. Not on the chin :redneck:

There is too much apathy in this world. People get brainwashed far too easily. The ironic thing is O'Sullivan wouldn't give the people who idolise him the time of day.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:He is a flawed genius. He does what he wants and sod the rest. But he knows how to play snooker.

I won't go into the genius debate. I think that is a just a cliche. I think you are therefore saying that if someone who isn't as good as Sulkivan behaves the way he does then we should ban him, just because he isn't as good as O'Sulkivan. That attitude is entirley why people like myself are turning away from the game.

Hypocrites for officials and hypocrites for supporters. What if Ian Huntley was able to make a 147 every frame? Should we release him from prison just because he can play snooker at a level we have never seen before? I know this extreme but I am just showing why your take on the matter is wholly incorrect.

You are more an ardent fan of snooker than me, I can go without this game with balls and sticks. I am not as apathetic as the vast majority.

Postby Smart

vodkadiet wrote:The proof that snooker is very much a minority sport/game can easily be identified by the way the men in charge of the sport have pandered to the every want and need of one individual player.

However good O'Sullivan is at snooker he should have been banned many years ago. The list of his misdemeanours is endless. He has done things that would have got him substantial bans in more worldwide sports, yet he still gets vast amounts of snooker fans defending him?!!

I still don't understand how it is acceptable to deliberately lose a match(Tian Pengfei), just because you are not going to receive any financial reward, yet others get substantial bans for the same thing?!! Of course that incident is just the tip of the iceberg.

We had a situation this season whereby Barry Hearn begged O'Sullivan to play in the World Championship. I believe he changed the date for entries just to suit O'Sullivan? Shameful on Hearn's part. Can you imagine Wimbledon begging Federer to play? It is pathetic.

If O'Sullivan had been a tennis player he wouldn't still be on the tour. He would have been banned long ago. By accepting everything O'Sullivan has done, snooker authorities have basically admitted he is bigger than the game, that the game isn't strong enough to stand up to a certain player, and as far as O'Sullivan is concerned, anything goes. The authorities have been guilty of blatant double standards with regard to their acceptance of O'Sullivan's disgraceful behaviour.

O'Sullivan brings in fans, but at what cost? I know a few moderate snooker fans who have switched off from watching snooker, solely because of his unpunished indiscretions. I will now join them. Enough is enough.

As for the BBC coverage, that was cringeworthy. Steve Davis's obsession with trying to elevate O'Sullivan to 'Greatest of all time' status, just because of his hatred of Stephen Hendry has been going on for years. John Parrott's constant butt licking of O'Sullivan is just as bad. Dennis Taylor's constant references to golf, and the fact he still goes on incessantly and O'Sullivan's ability to play left handed is beyond a joke. Rob Walker's intros are becoming more and more bizarre. Snooker has prostituted itself for the sake of the A.D.D. society. Then there of course there is the pathetic "There's little Ronnie watching his dad", and showing the little kid time and time again. Fetch me the sickbucket!

O'Sullivan is now saying again he may not defend next year? What a liar! He knows full well he will be back. He wants to surpass Stphen Hendry's haul of 7 world titles, to cement his place in history. He knows having a few old codgers like Davis and Parrott he is the best ever won't cut it with the history books. He certainly isn't going to miss a World Championship at this stage of his career. No chance at all.

I am so sick of how snooker has pandered to this vile man, that I am now not only going to switch off, but as one of the world's most unlucky gamblers, I will make sure he doesn't surpass Hendry's world title haul, by placing large bets on him every year just before The World Championships start. It will be money well worth losing, just so that piece of garbage doesn't win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhnygLQ4Ar4

vodker - my favorite vegan on this planet.

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the O-Sullivan win so well and in such great spirit, you are a fine example of human kind accepting people however they are - warts and defects and problems all rolled in. Well done you, by the way do you like lemon or do you find it a little bitter for your pallete.

Vodker :hatoff: