Post a reply

Re: Semi Final 1 Ronnie O'Sullivan v Judd Trump

Postby Smart

Jewell wrote:What people seem to be forgetting is Ronnie is a 37 year old man that is well past his best. The fact that is he is still able to dominate speaks volumes about his talent. He's doing something that Hendry was never able to do which is win past his prime.

Ronnie :hatoff:

it also says the current game is not very strong at all <ok>

Postby snooker_loopy

Steve Davis does contradict himself. He used to say John Higgins was the best ever, now it's Ronnie? Funny thing is he never praised the all-time best (based on stats)... Stephen Hendry. My guess is Steve has never got over the fact Stephen came along and beat all his old records - most tournament wins, most WC titles etc. <laugh>

Postby Skullman

Jewell wrote:What people seem to be forgetting is Ronnie is a 37 year old man that is well past his best. The fact that is he is still able to dominate speaks volumes about his talent. He's doing something that Hendry was never able to do which is win past his prime.

Speaks volume about his competition as well. Taking nothing away from Ronnie, but he hasn't produced unplayable snooker, but it feels more like a John Higgins performance i.e. putting players under pressure and then picking up the pieces.

Postby GJ

snooker_loopy wrote:Steve Davis does contradict himself. He used to say John Higgins was the best ever, now it's Ronnie? Funny thing is he never praised the all-time best (based on stats)... Stephen Hendry. My guess is Steve has never got over the fact Stephen came along and beat all his old records - most tournament wins, most WC titles etc. <laugh>

SPOT ON <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Davis said John Higgins was the best player the game had seen 2 years ago.

All opinions are irrelevant. The record books will be there long after we're all dead, and that is all that counts.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:Davis said John Higgins was the best player the game had seen 2 years ago.

All opinions are irrelevant. The record books will be there long after we're all dead, and that is all that counts.

Davis is a bitter CDL <ok>

Postby mantorok

snooker_loopy wrote:Steve Davis does contradict himself. He used to say John Higgins was the best ever, now it's Ronnie? Funny thing is he never praised the all-time best (based on stats)... Stephen Hendry. My guess is Steve has never got over the fact Stephen came along and beat all his old records - most tournament wins, most WC titles etc. <laugh>

You only just noticed this? Davis says the same rubbish about every player who is favourite or wins the WC, that's nothing new.

Postby Skullman

Smart wrote:

it also says the current game is not very strong at all <ok>

Down to mentality. When ROS plays anywhere halfway decent, the current lot go 'Oh he's head and shoulders above us there's nothing we could do'.

A Davis or a Hendry would go, 'Oh he's head and shoulders above me, better practise more and change that'.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

mantorok wrote:

You only just noticed this? Davis says the same rubbish about every player who is favourite or wins the WC, that's nothing new.

I don't think he said something so positive about Robertson

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:

Speaks volume about his competition as well. Taking nothing away from Ronnie, but he hasn't produced unplayable snooker, but it feels more like a John Higgins performance i.e. putting players under pressure and then picking up the pieces.

Yes this is very much like a Higgins performance, Ronnie only really played his A game in the last session against Ali and first against Bingo, the rest he has just taken advantage of his opponent's mistakes, whom usuallyhave got in early but miss at some point and allow Ronnie in.

But all credit to Ronnie, his 5th World Final after 1 year off.. :-D simply amazing, I honestly didn't think this would be possible.

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I don't think he said something so positive about Robertson

when did jimmy robbo win a world title

:?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Yes this is very much like a Higgins performance, Ronnie only really played his A game in the last session against Ali and first against Bingo, the rest he has just taken advantage of his opponent's mistakes, whom usuallyhave got in early but miss at some point and allow Ronnie in.

But all credit to Ronnie, his 5th World Final after 1 year off.. :-D simply amazing, I honestly didn't think this would be possible.

1) Ronnie didn't win a World title today
2) Higgins was numerous times behind and just somehow clawed his way back into his matches

Postby GJ

mantorok wrote:

it switches between ronnie and higgins depending whos doing better

anyone but hendo eh steve :? :td:

Postby mantorok

Skullman wrote:

He hasn't been pushed and he hasn't really been given a reason to be unplayable, towards the end of that semi he was knocking in a lot of long pots and was quite capable of playing at the top of his game, but you could see he wasn't feeling pressured to.

Swings and roundabouts.

Postby vodkadiet

Precisely. Davis is very bitter.

:-D

Postby Andre147

Dannyboy wrote:This and his previous interview - polar opposites.

Yes noticed that too.. Now he says he might still carry on playing on smaller events.

Anyway, nothing new with Ronnie, as Hearn said it himself: "He's threatened to retire more times than Frank Sinatra" <laugh>

Postby DavieMac

Dannyboy wrote:This and his previous interview - polar opposites.

I see what you did there.

He only said that nonsense cause he was a bit scared of Judd. :hatoff: to him though. Good performance and Ronnie No.5 on the cards.

Postby mantorok

GJ wrote:
mantorok wrote:

You only just noticed this? Davis says the same donkey doo about every player who is favourite or wins the WC, that's nothing new.

Was Steve working for the BBC when Hendry won his last world title?

Postby GJ

STEVE DAVIS

Ronnie wins 2008 worlds - hes the best

Higgins wins his 3rd world title in 09 - hIggins is the best player

Higgins wins in 2011 - he remains the best

2012 ronnies wins world title hes now the best

Steve Davis is as big a joke as dennis taylor

Postby GJ

mantorok wrote:
GJ wrote:
mantorok wrote:

You only just noticed this? Davis says the same donkey doo about every player who is favourite or wins the WC, that's nothing new.

he was i think

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:
GJ wrote:
mantorok wrote:
snooker_loopy wrote:Steve Davis does contradict himself. He used to say John Higgins was the best ever, now it's Ronnie? Funny thing is he never praised the all-time best (based on stats)... Stephen Hendry. My guess is Steve has never got over the fact Stephen came along and beat all his old records - most tournament wins, most WC titles etc.

He was yes :roll:

Postby DavieMac

GJ wrote:STEVE DAVIS

wow, wow, wow... steady on, GJ.

Nobody is as big of a joke as DT.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
GJ wrote:
mantorok wrote:
snooker_loopy wrote:Steve Davis does contradict himself. He used to say John Higgins was the best ever, now it's Ronnie? Funny thing is he never praised the all-time best (based on stats)... Stephen Hendry. My guess is Steve has never got over the fact Stephen came along and beat all his old records - most tournament wins, most WC titles etc.

He was yes :roll:

And what were his comments when he won it?

Postby GJ

DavieMac wrote:
GJ wrote:STEVE DAVIS

wow, wow, wow... steady on, GJ.

Nobody is as big of a joke as DT.

:parrot:

Postby Andre147

Was Steve working for the BBC when Hendry won his last world title?[/quote]

He was yes :roll:[/quote]

And what were his comments when he won it?[/quote]

I hadn't started watching snooker at that time so can't tell :|
Last edited by Andre147 on 04 May 2013, edited 1 time in total.