Post a reply

Re: Semi Final 1 Ronnie O'Sullivan v Judd Trump

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:@vodkadiet:

A serious question:

Are you impressed how well Ronnie is playing at the age of 37 and after taking a year long break from competitive snooker?

Yes, but as Stephen Hendry said snooker isn't hard to get back in the swing of. All you need is a few weeks of match practice and your ready to go again. Let's not forget years ago palyers had a few months enforced break from the game as there were no tournaments during the summer. I remember Hendry playing some of his best ever snooker in the 1999 tournament of champions after the summer break. There is a massive deal being made of this 11 months off. It isn't a big deal at all.

Snooker isn't like tennis, which is far more demanding in every aspect. Snooker is pretty easy to get back in the swing of. I am more impressed that O'Sullivan is still playing so well at 37 than I am about him playing well after 11 months off. Infact I would say after playing snooker for so many years, it probably makes a player play better if they have a long break.

As an O'Sullivan fan you should rest assured that he will never miss The World Championship until the point he is no longer competitive. Even if he had to qualify he would still play.

Postby DavieMac

A serious question:

Are you impressed how well Ronnie is playing at the age of 37 and after taking a year long break from competitive snooker?

Im not Vodkadiet, but was it ever in doubt?

In a fitness/stamina based sport it would be but not snooker and not when you are as good as Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby Andre147

DavieMac wrote:

A serious question:

In a fitness/stamina based sport it would be but not snooker and not when you are as good as Ronnie O'Sullivan.

But there were some doubts on how he would cope against the top players and under pressure, but so far he has proved that it seems he's never been away.

It will be an incredible feat no doubt if he wins it.

Postby GJ

Heres a question

If ronnie had competed and got to the business end of the high amount of events this season selby did would ronnie have cruised through the worlds as easily so far ?

The reason I ask is ronnies prime years the number of ranking events was far less so how would he have dealt with the extra work load prior to worlds

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:

A serious question:

Yes, but as Stephen Hendry said snooker isn't hard to get back in the swing of. All you need is a few weeks of match practice and your ready to go again. Let's not forget years ago palyers had a few months enforced break from the game as there were no tournaments during the summer. I remember Hendry playing some of his best ever snooker in the 1999 tournament of champions after the summer break. There is a massive deal being made of this 11 months off. It isn't a big deal at all.

Snooker isn't like tennis, which is far more demanding in every aspect. Snooker is pretty easy to get back in the swing of. I am more impressed that O'Sullivan is still playing so well at 37 than I am about him playing well after 11 months off. Infact I would say after playing snooker for so many years, it probably makes a player play better if they have a long break.

As an O'Sullivan fan you should rest assured that he will never miss The World Championship until the point he is no longer competitive. Even if he had to qualify he would still play.

Thank you :hatoff:

But why do you think he's still able to play so well? Not even his "weakness" - the long potting was very good against Bingham and Trump.

Postby DavieMac

Andre147 wrote:
DavieMac wrote:

A serious question:

But there were some doubts on how he would cope against the top players and under pressure, but so far he has proved that it seems he's never been away.

Incredible is a bit of stretch.

The only top player he's faced is Trump IMO.

It's good but not incredible.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

DavieMac wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
DavieMac wrote:

A serious question:

Of course it would be incredible. Let's forget about the year long break and just focus on the potential feat of defending a World Title. One one has ever done it since 1996.

Postby DavieMac

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
DavieMac wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
DavieMac wrote:

A serious question:

Of course it would be incredible. Let's forget about the year long break and just focus on the potential feat of defending a World Title. One one has ever done it since 1996.

I dont think it would be incredible. Opinions <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Judd Trump wrote:"He scored a lot heavier than I did. I probably got in first more times than he did which shows how good my safety and all round game was. Over the tournament, he's missed less easy balls than the rest of us. I didn't feel as confident as I had done in other games.

"Ronnie's so much better than most of the other players so the match practice doesn't come into it really. He's good enough in the balls so he's never far away and doesn't put any pressure on himself. The crowd hardly ever clap because he's always in position, whereas the other players and me have to pull out a good pot.

"I think Ricky will have a better chance of beating him in the final than Barry would because he's beaten Ronnie in a final before. But if he does carry on like that then he will be tough to beat.

"I had him on the back foot a few times last night and he was getting a bit frustrated - that's what you've got to do to him. He's a lot stronger mentally now than a few seasons ago and he can just switch it back on in the next frame.

"I think if I was playing against anyone else in this tournament then I'd have won it. But hopefully he plays in it next year so I'll have another chance to beat him. I want to win the World Championship with him in it and want to beat him on the way."

Postby GJ

GJ wrote:Heres a question

If ronnie had competed and got to the business end of the high amount of events this season selby did would ronnie have cruised through the worlds as easily so far ?

The reason I ask is ronnies prime years the number of ranking events was far less so how would he have dealt with the extra work load prior to worlds

:wave:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:

:wave:

Difficult question. I'll answer it in the mid session interval, OK?

Postby GJ

Muppet147 wrote:Very professional job from O'Sullivan.

He should now win the final comfortably.

Five world titles is impressive. But I think if he wins this one, he can win one or two more and match Davis / Reardon or even Hendry.

Hawk will beat him

<ok>

Postby Muppet147

GJ wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Very professional job from O'Sullivan.

He should now win the final comfortably.

Five world titles is impressive. But I think if he wins this one, he can win one or two more and match Davis / Reardon or even Hendry.

Hawk will beat him

<ok>

Hawkins win be brutally beaten - 18-9 or worse.

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan has actually benefitted from not playing much. He has no recent battle scars. Snooker is pretty easy to pick up evem if you have been away for a while. It is like riding a bike.

If he hadn't picked up a cue for 11 months it would be incredible, but he practised for 2 solid months. No big deal. He also hasn't played anyone playing well. Trump bottled it.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan has actually benefitted from not playing much. He has no recent battle scars. Snooker is pretty easy to pick up evem if you have been away for a while. It is like riding a bike.

If he hadn't picked up a cue for 11 months it would be incredible, but he practised for 2 solid months. No big deal. He also hasn't played anyone playing well. Trump bottled it.

<ok>

hawk wont he will beat ronnie :bowdown:

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan has actually benefitted from not playing much. He has no recent battle scars. Snooker is pretty easy to pick up evem if you have been away for a while. It is like riding a bike.

<ok>

hawk wont he will beat ronnie :bowdown:

I admire your belief GJ.

<ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

One of Ronnie's best seasons was the 2007/08 campaign. He won the UK, World and got to the Grand Prix and Welsh Open final. He played in every event that season. Of course we have now much more events and most of them in China.

All that traveling must take a toll but why was Selby flat all of a sudden in Sheffield? He could have been flat in China but he wasn't.

I don't think it's advisable to play in everything but some people can deal better with traveling than others.

It's all a bit of a mystery why Robbo and Selby didn't perform in this tournament.

Your original question is hard to answer because Ronnie never would have played in every event. But I'm pretty sure he would have played much better than Robertson and Selby have.

Postby beergitte

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:They shoved an exhibition on again then. They might have to do it for the final as well.

Yes. Monday afternoon from 4pm, and again from 8pm.

Get Ebdon to do it. It'll take him from 4pm to midnight to play a best of 11.

I don't think he'll be able to make it, he's doing commentary on Danish Eurosport both sessions tomorrow.