Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Mon 29th of April) Last 16 Discussio

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Skullman wrote:13-8. Like Snookerfan said, it was pointless to expect Ali to win, right from the beginning.

Indeed it was, but when Carter got in he took his chances, I thought he might actually get a little closer, it just seems once Ronnie gets within a few frames of the winning post he seems to accelarate ahead, something that only a few players can do, and in the end he looked very very good.

If he can kee the sort of form he played in this session, no one will beat him and he'll become 5 times World Champion.

But believe me Bingham won't be easy, expect a close one.

Yeah, all depends on whether the occasion gets to Bingham, he's extremely capable but it's whether he can raise his game in a big match, he's beaten Ronnie before so it could be a tester.

He only beat Ronnie once at the 2011 UK Champs when Ronnie clearly didnt even wanna be there..

But this is a totally differetm Bingham, a confident one, playing the snooker of his life.

Postby Skullman

mantorok wrote:Yeah, all depends on whether the occasion gets to Bingham, he's extremely capable but it's whether he can raise his game in a big match, he's beaten Ronnie before so it could be a tester.

Ronnie went up a gear at the end and I can't see Bingo coping with him in that form.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:Just out of interest who thinks he can do it again this year?

There's a certain vibe surrounding him, very similar to last year, a lot of big players have gone out, only a couple of real contenders left in the tounament, and he seems to be picking up some good form at the right time.

Trump, IMO, is the only one with the confidence to stop him, he's looks very good so far.

I'd go with that. Trump is the guy Ronnie should be most worried about.

I want a Ding vs Judd final personally.

Yeah, I have a funny feeling there might be another twist waiting to happen, although I would be surprised if both didn't get through.

Ding vs Ronnie would still be interesting though, Ding has matured.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:
mantorok wrote:Yeah, all depends on whether the occasion gets to Bingham, he's extremely capable but it's whether he can raise his game in a big match, he's beaten Ronnie before so it could be a tester.

Ronnie went up a gear at the end and I can't see Bingo coping with him in that form.

It really depends on Ronnie. If Ronnie is pulling off his 80+ breaks in a couple of minutes Bingham would be totally helpless. But Bingham is as confident as ever and as good as ever. So it could be tight.

Postby TheRocket

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:

It really depends on Ronnie. If Ronnie is pulling off his 80+ breaks in a couple of minutes Bingham would be totally helpless. Bingham on the other hand didn't convince me in the break building deparment. Ronnie is surely the favourite but you never know.

Postby mantorok

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:

It really depends on Ronnie. If Ronnie is pulling off his 80+ breaks in a couple of minutes Bingham would be totally helpless. But Bingham is as confident as ever and as good as ever. So it could be tight.

It's quite funny, last year Ron was doing exactly the same thing, players were catching up and he just blew them off the table winning several frames in a row, the match with Robertson springs to mind, in the beginning and end of matches is when he's at his best.

Despite playing against Carter he still surprises me how he can seem "all out of sorts" and all of a sudden win 3 frames in quick succession without batting an eye-lid.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:On saying that Judd is the danger man, you can't discount Bingham. Bingham has been in the best form of his life the past season or so. It's not a gimme.

I pick Ronnie to win, but it's not guaranteed.

Yup, I agree. Bingham is as good and confident as ever. And he will fight like a lion.

Postby Skullman

Sickpotter wrote:Ronnie as good as ever in the balls but IMO his long game is not there and that will lead to trouble against the better players.

Every chance for a 5th though, should be interesting

Time for him improve as the tournament goes on though. His long potting visibly improved as his match with Ali progressed.

Postby mantorok

Has anyone seen Ronnie show any sign of frustration yet? He made quite a few hashes, misses and poor shots and apart from the odd sigh he showed no signs of letting it get to him, he knows he's not getting any younger so his mental state seems to be the most deciding factor in his game, something that's been missing up until the last 4-5 years.

Postby PLtheRef

O'Sullivan did what he does best there and that is to pull away when he needed to. Last year's final from 10-7 to 14-7 was another example of this. From 5-1 in front, to be hauled level at 7-7 with a Carter on the charge to win as comfortably as 13-8 is what impressed me most.

Postby TheRocket

mantorok wrote:Has anyone seen Ronnie show any sign of frustration yet? He made quite a few hashes, misses and poor shots and apart from the odd sigh he showed no signs of letting it get to him, he knows he's not getting any younger so his mental state seems to be the most deciding factor in his game, something that's been missing up until the last 4-5 years.

I agree. Dr. Steve Peters really helped him heavily. It's a pity that he didn't meet Peters 20 years ago or like that. 4 World Titles are great but he should have won more with his ability. But if he wins his fifth Title now I would be over the moon. :-D

Postby mantorok

TheRocket wrote:
mantorok wrote:Has anyone seen Ronnie show any sign of frustration yet? He made quite a few hashes, misses and poor shots and apart from the odd sigh he showed no signs of letting it get to him, he knows he's not getting any younger so his mental state seems to be the most deciding factor in his game, something that's been missing up until the last 4-5 years.

I agree. Dr. Steve Peters really helped him heavily. It's a pity that he didn't meet Peters 20 years ago or like that. 4 World Titles are great but he should have won more with his ability. But if he wins his fifth Title now I would be over the moon. :-D

It would just be plain ridiculous, in a funny way, coming out of retirement and defending a world title, surely not ;-)