Topic locked

Re: World Chamionship (Sun 28th of April) Last 16 Discussion

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:On current performance, the winner of the match will be a bye for the winner of Ronnie v Carter aka Ronnie.

I wouldn't count Walden off completely.

Yes, Ronnie is favourite. Especially because this is already Walden's best run at The Crucible. But Walden isn't a mug, and has beat Ronnie in a ranking tournament final. He's playing well here as well.

Ronnie can't turn up and take Walden for granted.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:It's a bit quiet on here this morning.

I think it has something to do with the matches. No "big" names this morning.

Even so, Bingham vs Davis is a hard match to call. And Walden has been playing well, and going against a very much in-from player. Solid morning of play this, I'm surprised it hasn't piqued anyone's interest.

I haven't checked the Roll Call though. How many people are there?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:
Skullman wrote:On current performance, the winner of the match will be a bye for the winner of Ronnie v Carter aka Ronnie.

Yes, Ronnie is favourite. Especially because this is already Walden's best run at The Crucible. But Walden isn't a mug, and has beat Ronnie in a ranking tournament final. He's playing well here as well.

Skullman wasn't talking about Walden :zzz:

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:

By this match I meant Bingo v Mavis, who are Ronnie/Carter's next opponents.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:

I can't see Milkins beating Ronnie though...

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:It's a bit quiet on here this morning.

I think it has something to do with the matches. No "big" names this morning.

Even so, Bingham vs Davis is a hard match to call. And Walden has been playing well, and going against a very much in-from player. Solid morning of play this, I'm surprised it hasn't piqued anyone's interest.

I haven't checked the Roll Call though. How many people are there?

17 days are very long if you watch snooker full time. Every day there are good matches on, sessions like this morning are not that thrilling in comparison especially because it's only the first of three. This morning seems like a good time to take a small snooker break, can't blame them.

Postby snooker_loopy

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion Ronnie will retain the title. I think an 'on form' Judd Trump can beat him. Ronnie's one weakness might be his long game. If he misses a lot he'll let in his opponent. My gut feeling is Ali Carter has some weird mental block about beating Ronnie so unless he can overcome that I can't see him winning this match. But the likes of Judd Trump and John Higgins don't fear Ronnie.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

snooker_loopy wrote:I don't think it's a foregone conclusion Ronnie will retain the title. I think an 'on form' Judd Trump can beat him. Ronnie's one weakness might be his long game. If he misses a lot he'll let in his opponent. My gut feeling is Ali Carter has some weird mental block about beating Ronnie so unless he can overcome that I can't see him winning this match. But the likes of Judd Trump and John Higgins don't fear Ronnie.

Why is it weird to have a mental block against a player who has beaten you every time you played against him over multiple decades?

Postby Simone

snooker_loopy wrote:I don't think it's a foregone conclusion Ronnie will retain the title. I think an 'on form' Judd Trump can beat him. Ronnie's one weakness might be his long game. If he misses a lot he'll let in his opponent. My gut feeling is Ali Carter has some weird mental block about beating Ronnie so unless he can overcome that I can't see him winning this match. But the likes of Judd Trump and John Higgins don't fear Ronnie.

Has there ever been more impressive consistent long potting - maraton than what Shaun performed when he won the title back in 2005 ? Surely hasn´t. That was just incredible.

Postby snooker_loopy

"Why is it weird to have a mental block against a player who has beaten you every time you played against him over multiple decades?"

Well I think he believes he can't beat him whereas he should go into the match thinking "Ronnie is an amazing player but I still think I can beat him."

Er.. but yeah, I suppose the previous match stats don't help him! :-D

Postby SnookerFan

snooker_loopy wrote:
Well I think he believes he can't beat him whereas he should go into the match thinking "Ronnie is an amazing player but I still think I can beat him."

Er.. but yeah, I suppose the previous match stats don't help him!
:-D

I think that's what it is.

Carter didn't just sit down and decide he can't beat Ronnie. He's come to that conclusion based on being on the wrong end of too many matches.