Topic locked

Re: World Chamionship (Sat 26th of April) Last 16 Discussion

Postby Skullman

That's the problem with first round shocks. Normally the underdog knocks out a good player, and then plays next round, depriving us of a good player. Couldn't help but think when Poomjaeng went 7-1 down that Mags would've given Mike a much better game.

This is for real shocks btw, not 60/40ish matches like Mavis v Higgins, Stevens v Fu etc.

Postby DavieMac

Skullman wrote:That's the problem with first round shocks. Normally the underdog knocks out a good player, and then plays next round, depriving us of a good player. Couldn't help but think when Poomjaeng went 7-1 down that Mags would've given Mike a much better game.

This is for real shocks btw, not 60/40ish matches like Mavis v Higgins, Stevens v Fu etc.

You're not wrong.

Mags vs White would've been a good'un.

Postby DavieMac

Dunno why the article that Sonny posted is locked but anyway, I agree.

I love Mags but when he does the ol smash and hope it makes me mad. Then he'll make a century in the next frame. That is why I love him. It's what I do!!

I do wish he would be more careful cause he can play good safety... he stresses me out.

Postby vodkadiet

The Selby vs Hawkins match was very interesting today. The standard wasn't great but Selby's extra determination is worth a couple of frames a match. Hawkins played very good safety and Selby found it hard to break him down. Selby hasn't hit form yet but I expect him to raise his game when the pressure becomes more intense. He is the man to beat.

Postby Roland

vodkadiet wrote:The Selby vs Hawkins match was very interesting today. The standard wasn't great but Selby's extra determination is worth a couple of frames a match. Hawkins played very good safety and Selby found it hard to break him down. Selby hasn't hit form yet but I expect him to raise his game when the pressure becomes more intense. He is the man to beat.

It was frustrating because if you saw the stats Selby was leading on every one apart from safety but he kept getting involved and Hawkins was more than matching him. Ok for other opponents but Selby's a better scorer than Hawkins so should be taking the game to him more. Anyway, at 6-6 I thought it'd be a slog with Hawkins leading 9-7 but Selby came out in a much better frame of mind and took it to 9-6. The last frame was one of those where Hawks happened to get in first with a good chance and won the frame from it which could've happened to either of them. Still, needs to come out firing and stamp his authority early doors tomorrow and he'll be alright.

Postby vodkadiet

Yes, Selby needs have his concentration turned on right from the start. He sometimes seems to lose his way for no apparent reason. I think Hawkins will bottle it anyway, but I hope Selby doesn't give him the chance to bottle it. As long as Selby gets to the mid session interval 11-9 up he should be fine.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny

One question about the stats, if a player messes a safety shot up and leaves his opponent in, but his opponent misses the next shot, is that regarded as a successful safety shot?

Postby Roland

I can see it going 9-9 then 11-9 to Selby, that's the sort of match it's been. Selby obviously favourite to get to 13 first but it would be nice if he kept the gap from here. Mainly because I got a new cue today and will be trying it out tomorrow afternoon so could do without the distraction of having to watch the match closely because it's going close :redneck:

Postby Roland

Jewell wrote:I have a terrible feeling about tommorows match. Normally I've always felt confident about Ronnie's chances whenever he has played Carter but I'm just not feeling that way this time. There is just something that is nagging away at me...

Certainly this match isn't going to be a forgone conclusion and may even do the unthinkable.

Carter won't be scared to beat him and he's playing well. A couple of years ago you would say he would've been scared to win but not this year. He's also better without Ebdon in his corner making him turn down every non-100% guaranteed pot like he was doing last year.

Postby Roland

vodkadiet wrote:Sonny

One question about the stats, if a player messes a safety shot up and leaves his opponent in, but his opponent misses the next shot, is that regarded as a successful safety shot?

buck knows. The safety was 80% Selby 85% Hawkins but you could see from watching it that Hawkins was getting the better of it. The %ages were probably flattering to Selby in that Hawkins long put success was low so I guess from that yes it must be a safety success if the pot is missed.

Postby vodkadiet

Jewell wrote:I have a terrible feeling about tommorows match. Normally I've always felt confident about Ronnie's chances whenever he has played Carter but I'm just not feeling that way this time. There is just something that is nagging away at me...

Certainly this match isn't going to be a forgone conclusion and may even do the unthinkable.

I expect Carter to win this time. I think he must have the advantage on this occasion. O'Sullivan hasn't been in match situations for a long time. Campbell was just a punchbag and nothing can be read into that match.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:

little kitten knows. The safety was 80% Selby 85% Hawkins but you could see from watching it that Hawkins was getting the better of it. The %ages were probably flattering to Selby in that Hawkins long put success was low so I guess from that yes it must be a safety success if the pot is missed.

It is time for new stats. Stats based on luck!

There were stats on 'kicks' in one match earlier in the week!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Wild locked it because he's too efficient and closed the Friday topic so we'd post in the latest one but here is the piece for those that missed it
http://adrugcalledsport.blogspot.ie/201 ... model.html

nothing at all stopping people to copy and paste things from previous threads and comment on them here.

this isnt a new thread its a continuation of all the threads from day 1.....

i dont close threads straight away after i open a new day but i do close it before i hit the sack.

Postby Wildey

a successful safety shot is when a player doesn't go for a pot after the safety....if you miss a pot it was not deemed a successful safety.