Topic locked

World Championship (Wed 24th of April) Last 32 Discussion !

Postby Wildey

Saturday 20th of April~Monday 6th of May at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

Day 5 and 2010 World Champion Neil Robertson begins his campaign and the 1st Round fate of Mark Selby, Judd Trump and Ding Junhui will have been decided.

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Wednesday 24th of April

10am

Judd Trump 6-3 Dominic Dale conclusion
Ding Junhui 7-2 Alan McManus conclusion

2.30pm

Matthew Stevens 3-6 Marco Fu conclusion
Neil Robertson v Robert Milkins

7pm

Stuart Bingham v Sam Baird
Mark Selby 6-3 Matthew Selt conclusion

Image Image

Re: World Championship (Wed 24th of April) Last 32 Discussio

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
GJ wrote:With the shocks so far im getting anxious about robbos chances v milkins

No need to worry. Robertson is a big match player, it will take a special performance to stop him this year. Trump and Ronnie had to play their absolute best to beat him in the last 2 years and it was still close.

Yeah Robbo will never lose this match against Rob. Rob will Im sure blob many chances, and Robbo, as usual, will make the most of them, so Milkins I'm afraid doesn't stand a chance.

The match that I'm loooking forward to, surprisingly, is Baird v Bingham, as I reckon Bingo will have to beat him playing well, and Sam is more than capable of beating him as well, so it'll be interesting.

Tomorrow:

Fu will win against Stevens, with more or less trouble.
Trump will dispach Dale
Selby too will win without much trouble
Robbo wil have a nice lead going into final session, something like 6-3 or 7-2 even.
Baird v Bingo could end up 5-4 either way, I fancy Bingo just.
Oh and Ding, almost forgot, will too win prety confortably and pick up where he left off I think.

Postby Witz78

The bottom half of the draw starting to open up too now haha

Great win for Jack, cant wait to catch him in Sheffield now for some madness haha

Maguire has to ask himself questions big time though, hes def running out of time

and talking of missing the boat, by next years Worlds Allen will be 28 so hes hardly the young man he still gets referred to as.

Bear in the mind the way the games structures changing as of next season and i think its fair to say the demographic of the tour is going to change big time and im convinced a lot of established top 32 names will plummet into obscurity pretty quickly.

Postby vodkadiet

I expect Robertson to grind his way through his quarter. If he meets Selby in the semis that will be one grindfest. Marco Fu could be a surprise semi finalist. Trump isn't playing that well, and Murphy is very overrated.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:I expect Robertson to grind his way through his quarter. If he meets Selby in the semis that will be one grindfest. Marco Fu could be a surprise semi finalist. Trump isn't playing that well, and Murphy is very overrated.

so what you saying

Ronnie all the way?

Postby Muppet147

vodkadiet wrote:I expect Robertson to grind his way through his quarter. If he meets Selby in the semis that will be one grindfest. Marco Fu could be a surprise semi finalist. Trump isn't playing that well, and Murphy is very overrated.

Good to see you posting again, Vodka.

I agree with you that Trump is not at his best.

It's going to be a very open tournament. Apart from O'Sullivan, I can't see an established star winning it. Would be great to see someone new come through and win it.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Winner of Bingham v Baird could be the one to watch in that top half, you could class them as a dangerous floater.

Bingham sooner or later surely must make it past the second round, he has improved so much, but with Baird he is a quality player, who is a very good break builder, if he doesn't get nervous he can dispatch some top players.

With the way Ding played today though, I really hope he can keep it up, when on form in my opinion he is the best player in the World, but as we know, his half is so tough.

Postby vodkadiet

Muppet

Thanks. I expect Carter to give O'Sullivan a much tougher match this time. Whoever wins that could reach the final and face off against one of the grinders, namely Selby or Robertson.

Postby Andre147

Rocket_ron wrote:carters record v ronnie doesnt stand him in goodsted

True, but this is Carter's best chance ever I reckon to beat Ronnie, though I still don't he'll win, but could be a very very close one, something like 13-11 or 13-12. I think one thing's definately for sure: Ronnie won't steamroll past him and as I said will be very close all the way through, but in the end I'm afraid Carter's Ronnie demons may start getting in his head and it's game over.

Obviously the match I'm most looking forward to in 2nd round, along with Murphy v Dotty and Poomjaeng v White should be an interesting one too.

Postby Andre147

Rocket_ron wrote:
GJ wrote:Ron

50/50 call if it happens tbh

you dont sound very confident mate

and neither should he I think cause their head to head is pretty even and it's such a difficult match to predict, though if it happens I will favour Robbo, just.

Postby Rocket_ron

Andre147 wrote:

True, but this is Carter's best chance ever I reckon to beat Ronnie, though I still don't he'll win, but could be a very very close one, something like 13-11 or 13-12. I think one thing's definately for sure: Ronnie won't steamroll past him and as I said will be very close all the way through, but in the end I'm afraid Carter's Ronnie demons may start getting in his head and it's game over.

Obviously the match I'm most looking forward to in 2nd round, along with Murphy v Dotty and Poomjaeng v White should be an interesting one too.

why is this carters best chance?

Postby Andre147

Rocket_ron wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

why is this carters best chance?

Well.. isnt it obvious really.. Ronnie isn't match sharp and although he didnt play that bad v Cambell, we are still to see how he'll fare under the big pressure situations cause he hasnt been in any sort of pressure since he obviously won last year's Worlds. So this is definately Carter's best chance yet to beat Ronnie.

Postby Roland

I'm pretty certain Carter will get Ronnie this time. Remember Jimmy beating Hendry in 1998? Ronnie is rusty and Carter is playing his best stuff if tonight is anything to go by and Carter's determination to get one over on Ronnie will make him a very tough opponent to beat. He's not the same player who lost to him so many times over the last few years.

Postby Roland

I have to say that after being in 2 finals and playing the way he did tonight, for the first time I am beginning to accept the possibility that Ali Carter could be a World Champion.

Postby Witz78

Im def gonna stick a few quid on Ali as insurance just incase. Ive a slight hunch he might give Ronnie a good game and its all about how Ronnie handles it if Carter adopts Ebdonesque tactics (lets face it, thats his best hope) and the match goes close and the pressure increases.

That said, wouldnt surprise me to see Ronnie come out all guns blazing and steamroller Ali and get 6-2 up anway and pull away for an easy win