Post a reply

Re: The Case Against Shot Clocks In Snooker

Postby vodkadiet

I don't think Jason Ferguson is in any position to bring in any rule changes. He holds the record for the longest ever best of 19 frame match.

Postby vodkadiet

Jewell wrote:The day a shotclock is introduced in the World Championship is the day I become a non-snooker fan.

I stopped watching cricket when it started prostituting itself for the sake of the Attention Deficit Disorder brigade with all that 20/20 gabrbage, and endless one day competitions and I will stop watching snooker if snooker does the same by introducing shot clocks. Why does everything in life have to be done at 100 miles an hour?

Postby Wildey

apparently during this afternoons coverage the BBC will be discussing the merits of bringing in shot clocks or not.

Postby gallantrabbit

Shot clocks are horrible, but I think refs should be encoursged to step in. Ebdon's getting to the stage where he's trying absolutely anything. Funny thing is it's ruining his game too.
Even Robbo in this game is taking things to excess. I know he's struggling a bit, but anyone who plays snooker knows that 90% of the time there's only one shot to play. If you want to take a bit longer over the 10% that's fine. Robbo is more than taking his time over every shot. Never heard of rhythm?

Postby GJ

TBH GALLANT

when robbo starts taking ages i know 9 times out of 10 he will lose that match as his rythym has gone

A decisive robbo is a winning robbo

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:TBH GALLANT

when robbo starts taking ages i know 9 times out of 10 he will lose that match as his rythym has gone

A decisive robbo is a winning robbo

yea but sometimes match situation command that and Robbo can mix it...obviously for some reason he did not feel at all confident yesterday.

Postby The Cueist

gallantrabbit wrote:Shot clocks are horrible, but I think refs should be encoursged to step in. Ebdon's getting to the stage where he's trying absolutely anything. Funny thing is it's ruining his game too.
Even Robbo in this game is taking things to excess. I know he's struggling a bit, but anyone who plays snooker knows that 90% of the time there's only one shot to play. If you want to take a bit longer over the 10% that's fine. Robbo is more than taking his time over every shot. Never heard of rhythm?

Gallant you could not have posted truer words.
The shot is on take it,After all they are professionals..

Refs stepping in,Not seen it once yet at this years event.
Was disgusted with the ref in the McManus vDing match over the miss rule,Very wrong.

A lack of gumption seems to persist in these areas when it comes to referees making a decision for the greater good.

Barry Hearn and Jason Ferguson need to review and amend this ongoing negative situation as a matter of urgency.

Slow play is no longer tolerated at the masters golf these days. ;-)

Postby Roland

No urgency required, only Ebdon and Robbo's toilet break so far have overstepped the line which no one knows how to define.

Postby The Cueist

Sonny wrote:No urgency required, only Ebdon and Robbo's toilet break so far have overstepped the line which no one knows how to define.

Yes urgency urgently required,There are more ocassions than the two you state above Sonny.

Williams and Verhass ok,The rest need to be more proactive in eliminating the build up of frustration that is put on players who do not display this hedonistic selfish trait.

Those hedonists who continue to play around with there opponents heads like this should be docked the frame ,Immediatekley upon being observed the second time in carrying out this psycological mind game.

It is wrong and not far from match fixing in its severity on the outcome of matches,Matches that have not been played fairly.

For christs sake sonny will you not see it.

Poomer is wrong also and should be taken to one side and be spoken to about his actions during a so called professional snooker match.

i feel snooker will lose more credibility if this situation continues.

Postby GJ

mark king goes out between every frame but as hes a hard man no one will critiscise him <doh>

Postby The Cueist

GJ wrote:mark king goes out between every frame but as hes a hard man no one will critiscise him <doh>

I will,He is another snake hiss taker that needs a warning.

Mark ,Go to the toilet before the match starts.

Need new rules and maximum times for this apperent early onset of prostate problems.

Jesus,They will all be suing "Highland Spring " next. :-(

Postby GJ

Its not as if their downing a bottle of water quick its sipping mainly no excuse for any player including robbo

Postby Roland

Listen to Mark King's presser and then see what you think Cueist. You're in a minority anyway, snooker as a sport like all sports is a battle of minds as much as ability.

Postby GJ

maybe others have bladder issues but prefer to keep it private unlike king

Postby Roland

To be fair there's nothing wrong with leaving the arena between frames, just when they take excessive time such as Ebdon and Robbo. Both are famous for it among the players.

Postby The Cueist

As Gj says There is enough time at the end of a frame to go for a comfort break.

Going to the toilet should not be used as a mental advantage to the detriment of any opponent.

Simple as that.

It is ridiculous and needs to be addressed.

I am sick to death of watching the same old culprits pulling the same old move.

This is a bigger issue because it affects the outcome of matches.

If you have a bladder problem drink less.Easy aint it.

Postby Sickpotter

Certainly there are a couple who abuse the privilege but really the opponents should be able to deal with it.

Only the mentally weak fall prey to these kind of mind games and if your opponent is vulnerable to this tactic it's a weakness to be exploited.

I've had these games tried against me and the answer is simple.....if waiting for their return is playing on your nerves go hang in the bathroom with them ;-)

Seriously, just go stand and stare at them, make a couple of comments on the size of their balls, their nice "cue", etc. and see how fast it throws them of their game :john:

Postby GJ

didnt a player go and catch ebo out once and ebo was just standing in the there and not going to the toilet

Postby GJ

The Cueist wrote:
GJ wrote:didnt a player go and catch ebo out once and ebo was just standing in the there and not going to the toilet

i believe it was Stephen Hendry Gj. :chuckle:

:hatoff: <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:didnt a player go and catch ebo out once and ebo was just standing in the there and not going to the toilet

Maybe he wet himself before he got to the toilets, and was too embarrassed to come back to the arena?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

Maybe he wet himself before he got to the toilets, and was too embarrassed to come back to the arena?

he was standing on a chair using the hand dryer to dry his wet patch. <laugh>

Postby vodkadiet

Alex Higgins had the right idea. He used to urinate in the plants at the side of the table. I guess he would have just urinated in the crowd if there were no plants.

Postby The Cueist

I see that Barry Hearn is introducing new rules on toilet breaks for players.
I seen this on BBC snooker web page.

About time this was addressed.

Hearn stated that "There was Gamesmanship " in these apparent toilet tactics.