Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Tue 23rd of April) Last 32 Discussio

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:No guarantee he would've beat Selby. If I had to pick Mags or Higgins as an opponent in a World final, I'd pick Mags every time and so would most others. Anyway that's years ago now.

Maguire was superb that season. Much better than nowadays. I think he would have beaten Selby that year.

2007 was Mags best chance to win this title, don't doubt it. He would have beaten Selb

He didn't do it in 2007, he will never win this title.

Re: World Championship (Tue 23rd of April) Last 32 Discussio

Postby Roland

Of all the sessions I saw over the first 3 days the Poomers v Mags one will stick long in the memory. It was so entertaining, ridiculously so and the conclusion was just as good. Credit to Mags for his part in it but I think most of the people watching were pulling for Poomers to pull it off which he did in fine style. Who else would play the shot to pot the red and jump the pack to land on a colour? Especially in a deciding frame at the Crucible! It will take some beating in Shot of the Championship this year. And all in all it was a bona fide Crucible classic to match Wenbo v Swail of a few years ago. It was that kind of match with the character of the underdog winning over the crowd and the tv viewer much to the unfortunate annoyance of the bookies favourite opponent.

Selby is a concern after this evening's session. The only frame he played half decent was when he was odds against to pull it off, coming from behind to lead 6-1. Other than that it was very edgy stuff as if he's back to feeling the weight of expectation and needs to be the underdog in order to produce. He needs to buck his ideas up if he's to beat Hawkins, assuming Selt can't capitalise on the weakness. At 6-3 down he's still in with a chance make no mistake as long as Selby plays as badly as he did tonight.