Post a reply

Re: 2013 Worlds Sponsor is BETFAIR

Postby Witz78

we need more variety too though, even of the traditional format of the game, as so many events, espec in China seem so similar and rather stale.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:we need more variety too though, even of the traditional format of the game, as so many events, espec in China seem so similar and rather stale.

But try veriation on formats not the Rules of the Game.

name me one other sport that's change the fundamentals to the extent snooker has.

Best of 5s
Best of 7s
Best of 9s
Best of 11s

that sort of thing is ok its not messing with Rules of the Game

Then we have this stupid situation of playing Every Chinese Event with exactly the same format of play. the events looks exactly the same....lets have some imagination there and not with bloody shot clocks etc

Postby snooky147

Wild WC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:we need more variety too though, even of the traditional format of the game, as so many events, espec in China seem so similar and rather stale.

name me one other sport that's change the fundamentals to the extent snooker has.

Best of 5s
Best of 7s
Best of 9s
Best of 11s

Then we have this stupid situation of playing Every Chinese Event with exactly the same format of play. the events looks exactly the same....lets have some imagination there and not with bloody shot clocks etc

I would never agree to a best of five format. It's far too short. Best of seven would be my minimum. I would however give referee's more discretion to stamp on deliberate slow play but they all need to be on the same page if they do that.

Postby Wildey

i agree i wouldn't like it But its not messing with the game itself...and then you have idiotic fans calling for shot clock ranking events.

can you imagine them dropping the off side rule for the FA Cup?

or Queens Tennis tournament played without second serve?

maybe Golf so that its played Quicker dropping 5 Holes?

thats the sort of thing snooker has gone for and trying to paint it as a "revelation"....christ that would scare off any potential sponsor of the calibre we want "christ if snooker is looking for a revolution its screwed"

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Those people that keep criticising the chinese events need to wake up and smell the coffee. China is not where the problem is, it's here in Britain where apparantly companies don't want to be associated with snooker.

Spot on

but also in Europe despite the Boom the Cash not forthcoming there either.

Postby Witz78

Jewell wrote:Those people that keep criticising the chinese events need to wake up and smell the coffee. China is not where the problem is, it's here in Britain where apparantly companies don't want to be associated with snooker.

there is a problem with China

the events with no fans at them look absolutely terrible on tv and hardly paint a picture of a sport supposedly on the up

Postby snooky147

The Wildcard situation in China has to be addressed as well. It's grossly unfair to tour players to have to play a wildcard now. Most of these wildcards are good enough to be on the tour so find a way for them to qualify properly. Used to be you got £500 for beating one of them but they stopped that now as well.

Postby hendry_fan

snooky147 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

Best of 5s
Best of 7s
Best of 9s
Best of 11s

I would never agree to a best of five format. It's far too short. Best of seven would be my minimum. I would however give referee's more discretion to stamp on deliberate slow play but they all need to be on the same page if they do that.

snooky147,i could,nt agree with u more there mate as far as best of 5,s format is concerned,it certainly is far too short,that sort of format one could have down at the local club or at the fish n chip shop but to have it on the professional circuit is a absolute farce!. <doh>

Also,...i agree with u in saying,..." I would however give referee's more discretion to stamp on deliberate slow play,...".

Some players really do take farrrr toooo lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng over certain shots,at times it seems like they,re thinkin bout rocket science,.

I,ve witnessed on numerous occasions where a player has walked round the table countless times,checkin this n lookin at that,and in general milling around on shots that for sure don,t need so much time spent on them!.One can over do it,be over cautious and be tooooo slowwww!. :zzz: :td:

As far as changing rules,changing the game is concerned,i personally think it should stay the way it is,i mean the game,rules should be kept as they are as far as professional ranking tourneys are concerned.

In sayin that i think eg "the shoot-out" is great,i mean,it,s only one single weekend a year and there,s nuthin wrong with a bit o fun and that event will win some new snooker fans,get them intrested in snooker.

I like most would for sure get in a tizzy if they were to start messin around and were to start bringin more 6 reds,10 reds tourneys,drivvel like that would be a disaster!. :dizzy:

The one 6 reds tourney we have,ie,"the 6 reds world championship"is more than enough,we certainly don,t need more of rubbish like that on the professional tour!.

At my club the owner suddenly had the idea to change to the format of our weekly snooker tourney by only usin 10 reds,until most of us complained and told him we thought it was bulls**t!,after 2 weeks he changed the format back to proper 15 reds snooker!.

And as far as "Power snooker" is concernerd,well,even though thats also only once a year,i personaly think that is horses**t!!. :td: :td:

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Witz78 wrote:there is a problem with China

the events with no fans at them look absolutely terrible on tv and hardly paint a picture of a sport supposedly on the up

It may not look good to you and me but the lack of crowds doesn't seem to bother the sponsors there, nor is it putting off promoters from wanting to stage more and more tournaments there. So for me the lack of crowds in China is irrelevant apart from the aesthetic reason that it doesn't look good.

it Doesn't Matter because their product is seen in over 100 million homes up and down china.

Sponsors are forthcoming in china Because there's no Snobbery regarding the sport.

We All seen the red carpet treatment in china with a function dinner prior to the event and Snooker players treated like superstars.

China could insist on shot clocks and all sorts for their tournaments and it would happen but they have embraced the sport and this season in the International Championship went for a longer format than the norm.

The First time a long format tournament has happened since the UK in late 70s. and the Masters increasing From Best of 9s to Best of 11s in 1996.

Postby PLtheRef

Wild WC wrote:
Jewell wrote:

It may not look good to you and me but the lack of crowds doesn't seem to bother the sponsors there, nor is it putting off promoters from wanting to stage more and more tournaments there. So for me the lack of crowds in China is irrelevant apart from the aesthetic reason that it doesn't look good.

it Doesn't Matter because their product is seen in over 100 million homes up and down china.

Sponsors are forthcoming in china Because there's no Snobbery regarding the sport.

We All seen the red carpet treatment in china with a function dinner prior to the event and Snooker players treated like superstars.

China could insist on shot clocks and all sorts for their tournaments and it would happen but they have embraced the sport and this season in the International Championship went for a longer format than the norm.

The First time a long format tournament has happened since the UK in late 70s. and the Masters increasing From Best of 9s to Best of 11s in 1996.

Not strictly true - the UKs went from Best of 13 to Best of 17 in 2002 ;-)

Postby PLtheRef

I know it seems Betfair again but I think they probably deserve it. They've invested in the sport quite a bit this year.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Jewell wrote:

Not strictly true - the UKs went from Best of 13 to Best of 17 in 2002 ;-)

uhh?

UK been Best of 17s from 1978 to 2010.

Postby Skullman

PLtheRef wrote:I know it seems Betfair again but I think they probably deserve it. They've invested in the sport quite a bit this year.

My only concern with having Betfair is having all our eggs in one basket, and also once Betfair realises no one else is stepping up as competition, they might try and get events on the cheap.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:I know it seems Betfair again but I think they probably deserve it. They've invested in the sport quite a bit this year.

My only concern with having Betfair is having all our eggs in one basket, and also once Betfair realises no one else is stepping up as competition, they might try and get events on the cheap.

i agree.

but what can be done

no sponsor or betfair?

Postby SnookerFan

Jewell wrote:Hearn said: We are thrilled to welcome Betfair as title sponsor for the first time.

rofl rofl rofl

Hearn's lost all credibility now, as far as I'm concerned.

Says the person who thinks Hendry has no credibility as a player. :roll:

Postby Witz78

Jewell wrote:
Wild WC wrote:it Doesn't Matter because their product is seen in over 100 million homes up and down china.

<ok>

<doh>

World Open increased from Best of 5s to Best of 9s in 2012 :wave:

Postby Simone

Wild WC wrote:
Skullman wrote:

i agree.

but what can be done

no sponsor or betfair?

It is a rather strange having Betfair as a sponsor to be honest. My understanding is that it´s not quite appropriate sponsor when putting things into perpective. There might be some break-away tours if they can´t get things right.

Postby Wildey

Simone wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Skullman wrote:

i agree.

but what can be done

no sponsor or betfair?

It is a rather strange having Betfair as a sponsor to be honest. My understanding is that it´s not quite appropriate sponsor when putting things into perpective. There might be some break-away tours if they can´t get things right.

Breakaway tour for what.

if Barry Hearn with his contacts and years of Sport Promoting cant get sponsors what hope has bunch of players.

Postby snookerfan97

I don't particullary like this sponsor, one tournament is ok, but 4 tournament and a whole series of tournament is too much.One question: Is the carpet gonna' be blue and the wall yellow like at the Masters, because I'm afraid they might just put a yellow carpet to make my eyes hurt ?

Postby Smart

snookerfan97 wrote:I don't particullary like this sponsor, one tournament is ok, but 4 tournament and a whole series of tournament is too much.One question: Is the carpet gonna' be blue and the wall yellow like at the Masters, because I'm afraid they might just put a yellow carpet to make my eyes hurt ?

I have heard it mentioned that all ticket holders will be issued with special sunglasses to wear at the venue as the carpet will be a very bright shade of yellow and it is thought by top medicals that it could induce epileptic fits and extreme vomitting. I will of course post more details as and when I get them.

Good evening. :wave:

Postby snookerfan97

Smart wrote:
snookerfan97 wrote:I don't particullary like this sponsor, one tournament is ok, but 4 tournament and a whole series of tournament is too much.One question: Is the carpet gonna' be blue and the wall yellow like at the Masters, because I'm afraid they might just put a yellow carpet to make my eyes hurt ?

I have heard it mentioned that all ticket holders will be issued with special sunglasses to wear at the venue as the carpet will be a very bright shade of yellow and it is thought by top medicals that it could induce epileptic fits and extreme vomitting. I will of course post more details as and when I get them.

My first Crucible experience will be ruined by a bright yellow carpet, that's great.Nice job Betfair ! <cool>

Postby Smart

snookerfan97 wrote:
Smart wrote:

My first Crucible experience will be ruined by a bright yellow carpet, that's great.Nice job Betfair ! <cool>

dont shoot the messenger, I hope the sunglasses dont hinder viewing too much......such is life I guess :wave: <ok>

Postby Smart

Jewell wrote:With the yellow colour scheme it will look abit like how The Masters used to look when it was run by Benson & Hedges.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

observation <ok>

smart acknowledges your observation but on reflection smart thinks that the betfair yellow is considerably brighter than the old B&H yellow. Smart therefore still considers you to be a runt. :wave:

Postby snookerfan97

But is it sure that it will be like that ? I ask, because the other events sponsored by Betfair went for blue carpet, yellow walls(and that setup didn't really look that bad)

Postby Skullman

I doubt they'll change the carpets in the Crucible for just two weeks. It'll probably still be red, although we'll get those garish yellow boards that we had in the other Betfair tournaments