Post a reply

Re: World Championship 2013 Roll call

Postby Casey

Smart wrote:its clear that some folk would not get the same out of a trip away for a few days as others would....

I have totally enjoyed my trips to Sheffield, always memorable - never dull.

There is much more to it than sitting in your seat like a statue.

The whole experience is not mythical. You are robbing yourself of so much if all you do is turn up watch snooker then go home. There are people to meet and chat and have a laugh with.

There are things like chilling out in the bookies / bar, there are chance meetings with pros, there are decent hotels to relax in.

I think a lot of folk that I speak to view it as a holiday with some quality snooker to see too. :wave:

:spot on:

For me it's -

A nice getaway, a break from the norm.
    Live snooker at the Crucible - no better place to watch it
    Atmosphere is or around the bar and bookies
    Meeting up with fellow snooker nuts and members of the forum
    Having a lot of drink and heading out in Sheffield which is a very nice City!

Postby sundaygirl

I would have to say I'm on the Snooker Fan and Wild side of this debate. When I go to watch live I see all the frames can I like to chat with other people sitting around me between frames even if that is you know who, but mostly I just like to watch snooker. The main reason I haven't been to Sheffield yet is because I could only afford to go for a couple of days and would be missing a quite a few matches travelling there and back.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:I would have to say I'm on the Snooker Fan and Wild side of this debate. When I go to watch live I see all the frames can I like to chat with other people sitting around me between frames even if that is you know who, but mostly I just like to watch snooker. The main reason I haven't been to Sheffield yet is because I could only afford to go for a couple of days and would be missing a quite a few matches travelling there and back.

I'm actually on the Smart side of the debate.

Personally, when I go I'm in there watching every frame that I have a ticket to. But I seem to have been typecast as somebody who is upset that others don't. God knows why. If people want to watch a few frames inside The Crucible, then snake hiss off to Tudor Square or to The Old Monk then let them I say.

Part of going to Sheffield is seeing the atmosphere surrounding the tournament, and seeing how the city breathes snooker for 17 days. There is a massive excitement for the people stood outside The Crucible, that I've not seen at any other snooker venue. It's not until you've been there that you can truly understand how the venue can be a unique experience for every one of the fans who've attended it.

I've done my fair share of standing outside with the crazy autograph hunters, eating at the Chinese buffet restaurant opposite The Crucible and propping up the all-night hotel bar discussing the day's snooker news with other sad snooker anoraks.

I personally do all this fitted in around the actual snooker, and never like to miss a second of the matches I have tickets to. But I really don't see why people have me down as having the hump at what other people do.

Seriously, if you've never been to The Crucible, and ever have a chance to go, I recommend you do so. It's a mecca for snooker fans, and should be done at least once. There's far too much to enjoy there that it baffles me that people can waste time complaining about what others are doing.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:final post on this from me......

without fans there is no sport, if fans buy a ticket they can choose to watch 1% or 100% of the action - its their call.

Witx for example supports snooker more than anyone on this site, with s/fan a close second. They both visit venues all over the country and are true supporters.

Buying livesnooker.net does not beat or come close to spending the time and money by going to the venue.

<ok>

witx :hatoff:
s/fan :hatoff:

:goodpost:

Postby Witz78

you have the hump with me for hitting nightclub dancefloors in Sheffield though, dont you?

is that the Chinese buffet down the street down from the players entrance door at the back of the Crucible?

we hit that one most years

now im Vegan though i wont be near it

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:you have the hump with me for hitting nightclub dancefloors in Sheffield though, dont you?

is that the Chinese buffet down the street down from the players entrance door at the back of the Crucible?

Not really. You seem to have entirely the wrong idea of me. <laugh>

As long as people don't expect me to go dancing with them, I don't really care who goes. Go enjoy it, if that's what you like. I'll stick to propping up the bars post-match, but each to their own.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:you have the hump with me for hitting nightclub dancefloors in Sheffield though, dont you?

Yeah, that's the one. Quite nice. And quite cheap. But the price is variable depending when you go in. If you got in post-5:30pm, it's a couple of quid extra. I've hurried out of The Crucible a couple of times when a session has finished at 5:25pm. :-D

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker fans hoping for a chance to see the Betfair World Championship live can book seats for previously sold-out sessions as extra tickets are released at 10am on Thursday.

Snooker's greatest tournament starts in just over three weeks on April 20 at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield and it is one of the truly magical occasions on the sporting calendar.

A limited number of tickets for each session - including the final on May 5 and 6 - have become available as they were left over from World Snooker's allocation to its partners.

The tickets will be on sale when the box office opens at 10am on Thursday and fans are advised to book immediately to secure their seats. Call 0844 6565 147 or visit sheffieldtheatres.co.uk

A spokesman for World Snooker said: "We are building towards one of the most fascinating Championships ever, with Ronnie O'Sullivan back to defend his crown against a host of gifted players such as Judd Trump, Neil Robertson, Mark Selby, Ding Junhui, Mark Allen and John Higgins. Anyone who has the chance to be at the Crucible to see the action live should grasp the opportunity, as it is an incredible experience. Tickets are also a fantastic gift to give to a friend for Easter.

"We are pleased to be able to offer more tickets for general sale and advise fans to book quickly. We are on course for record sales and the atmosphere inside the arena will be electric."

There are some incredible VIP packages for the semis and the final which allow fans to see the latter stages unfold in style. For details call Frank on 01277 359 925 or the Crucible Theatre on 0844 6565 147.

There are also tickets available for the qualifying rounds from April 6 to 14 as the likes of Steve Davis, Jimmy White and Ken Doherty battle for a place at the Crucible. Call 0114 256 5567 or visit www.arenaticketshop.co.uk

The Betfair World Championship is supported by Sheffield City Council.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Hi guys not been on here for a while, but as I now know how to use the new format, I will be on here more often.

Of course I'm looking forward to the World Championships.

I'm going four times this year, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, Thursday.

So one first round match, two second round matches and the first session of Semi Final 1.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah, that's the one. Quite nice. And quite cheap. But the price is variable depending when you go in. If you got in post-5:30pm, it's a couple of quid extra. I've hurried out of The Crucible a couple of times when a session has finished at 5:25pm. :-D

There's a much nicer one just off the Moor. 'Wong Ting' it's called.

Postby Simone

Yes, bring it on. Interesting to see how things will be handled media-wise.. Since during this morning there has been further updates which are quite remarkble, and I certainly think they are great and a very much welcomed. Practically those updates are that they are not trying to force issues anymore by using modern technologies. Reading things SECRETLY and trying to tell that you like that and that. So no more organisized manipulation. So it will opened and free, and makes peoples jobs practically normal like people has used to get accustomed.

I don´t have formal access for that information, but just happened to be in the right place at the right time and read it between the lines this morning.... And personally knowing ´BBC´s correspondents´ Sara and Lisa did help a bit tbh..

Postby GJ

Simone wrote:
GJ wrote:Hmmmmmmm

lol mate that´s how it is....

ok <ok>

Postby GJ

Simone wrote:
GJ wrote:Hmmmmmmm

lol mate that´s how it is....

ok <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:Any word on when they are going to release the format of who is playing when?

The World Snooker website have set a date for when they intend to release this information.

Wednesday 8th May. :gag:

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Casey wrote:Any word on when they are going to release the format of who is playing when?

The Sheffield Theatre website is posting the schedule now.

They have only done the first day so far though.

10am - O'Sullivan & Walden
2.30 - Hawkins & Murphy

Postby snookerfan97

I am going to see O'Sullivan,Walden,Williams,Hawkins and Dott (final sessions).Could have been a little bit better for my first year, i don't particulary like Dott and Hawkins, but I am looking forward to some great matches ! I can't wait for Ronnie's game it will be mental in there, and i really hope I will get to see some good players from the qualis( Lisowski, Jones,Gould..etc)

Postby Smart

snookerfan97 wrote:I am going to see O'Sullivan,Walden,Williams,Hawkins and Dott (final sessions).Could have been a little bit better for my first year, i don't particulary like Dott and Hawkins, but I am looking forward to some great matches ! I can't wait for Ronnie's game it will be mental in there, and i really hope I will get to see some good players from the qualis( Lisowski, Jones,Gould..etc)

atmosphere for Ronnie is always awesome <ok>

Postby snookerfan97

Smart wrote:
snookerfan97 wrote:I am going to see O'Sullivan,Walden,Williams,Hawkins and Dott (final sessions).Could have been a little bit better for my first year, i don't particulary like Dott and Hawkins, but I am looking forward to some great matches ! I can't wait for Ronnie's game it will be mental in there, and i really hope I will get to see some good players from the qualis( Lisowski, Jones,Gould..etc)

What about the others ? Anyway I hope that Williams and Dott will be in good form, as I don't expect to much from Walden and Hawkins.

Any chance of getting an autograph from Ronnie? I heard that most of the players sign autographs and take photos with fans, but I don't know about Ronnie, because I imagine everybody wants a photo with him.

Postby Smart

snookerfan97 wrote:
Smart wrote:

What about the others ? Anyway I hope that Williams and Dott will be in good form, as I don't expect to much from Walden and Hawkins.

Any chance of getting an autograph from Ronnie? I heard that most of the players sign autographs and take photos with fans, but I don't know about Ronnie, because I imagine everybody wants a photo with him.

Dotty is class mate, and you get even better appreciation of all players at the venue, its so real and just amazing. The last few years I have been there were some Welsh there for MJW but he rightly got jeered after his idiot comments about Crucible. Gouldy will get great support, most fans love him and he always brings a few, but he represents a great style and has a wonderful attitude.

Go into the Old Mon or the other pub off the square and you will be able to play pool with Gouldy and have photos with any snooker players.

I'm in the St Pauls and would love to get a Ronnie autograph but will ask my daughter to ask for it rofl

Postby snookerfan97

Do you know anything about Walden ? I always liked him, he seems to be a nice guy.

I'm coming all the way from Romania to see this guys, always dreamed about visiting the Crucible one day and now when it's really happening i feel very excited about it! Can't wait to see this guys for real, not only watching on the telly.
I really hope Gouldy qualifies, i would love to play him !
Last edited by snookerfan97 on 07 May 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Casey

I lucked out!!

IF the seeds win their first round matches I will see all 3 sessions of Ronnie v Carter & the final two sessions of Allen v Ding :hyper: :hyper:

Some other guys I would get to see - Selby, Trump and Higgins :D

BUZZING