Post a reply

Betfair Masters Final Discussion !

Postby Wildey

Sunday 15th - Sunday 20th of January at Alexandra Palace, London

Neil Robertson and Mark Selby first turned professional in 1998 and 15 years later they are going to play each other in their first final.

Neil Robertson has to start favorite but never underestimate Mark Selby's sheer grit and determination as he goes for his 3rd straight tournament win having won in York before Christmas then Munich in the new year.

Who will take another Masters title Robertson for the second time or Selby for the third time?

Head to Heads

Mark Selby 8-2 Neil Robertson (Last match 2012 UK Championship Selby wins 6-4)

DRAW

Final

Neil Robertson v Mark Selby

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Betfair Masters Semi Final Discussion !

Postby Roland

Graeme's presser is classic!

Bottom line is he had Selby and didn't finish him off, he let him back in by being reckless.

Postby snooky147

Bottom line was that Selby stopped playing and bored him and me and probably three quarters of any audience that was watching. Why he does that when he is more than capable of actually playing snooker is beyond me. If Ebdon had done that he would have got slaughtered in the press but ....oh what the hell. At least I hope he beats Robertson tomorrow, but its got the potential to be a looooooong boring tactical NEGATIVE dAY.
Sour grapes???????? Me? no
Disapointment......Yes

Postby Wildey

Takes two to make a match and this selby is negative rubbish gets on my nerves.selby won the match its dotts fault if he cant handle a
winning game.

Re: Betfair Masters Final Discussion !

Postby GJ

coming from a snory fan i find your first line hilarious

Postby hendry_fan

Wild WC wrote:Image
Sunday 15th - Sunday 20th of January at Alexandra Palace, London

Neil Robertson and Mark Selby first turned professional in 1998 and 15 years later they are going to play each other in their first final.

Neil Robertson has to start favorite but never underestimate Mark Selby's sheer grit and determination as he goes for his 3rd straight tournament win having won in York before Christmas then Munich in the new year.

Who will take another Masters title Robertson for the second time or Selby for the third time?

Head to Heads

Mark Selby 8-2 Neil Robertson (Last match 2012 UK Championship Selby wins 6-4)

DRAW

Final

Neil Robertson v Mark Selby

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

What a final!,without a doubt between the 2 best players in the world (at the moment).

Ironicaly both players SHOULD,NT really be in this final as both were on the brink of going out!.

Robbo somehow comes back to beat Ding 6-5 in round 1,Ding was a couple of cm away from bein able to pot a red which he would have most certainly potted and sent Robbo packing,but even before it got to that stage,Ding have several chances but blew em.

Robbo then just manages to get past Allen in the 1/4, finals with another 6-5 result.

Ok,the next match he won fair n square 6-2 against Murphy,but Murphy was allllll over the shop.

Selby looked dead and buried in his first round when Bingham went 5-1 up and Bingham had several chances to wrap up the match but just could,nt get over the line.

Although the scoreline against Williams looks a one way track,(6-1),it certainly was,nt,both players were well off song,especially Williams who played some of the worst snooker he,s ever produced in a pro Tourney,especially in a BIGGIE like this Masters!.

Selby once again SHOULD have been thrown out of this years Masters by Dott in the semi-final,trailing 4-1 and once again playin way off his very best,he comes back and wins yet another decider,Dott messing up chances similar to what Bingham did.

All in all though,bottom line is,...one could say,if there opponents can,t take there chances and put them away,then it,s not Robbos and Selbys fault,we still have to give every credit for these 2 not giving up and bein able to turn the match around.

I,ve said it before and i,ll say it again,....Snooker,just like other sports and life in general are,can be fullllll of SHOULDS,COULDS,SHOULD HAVE,COULD HAVE etc,but at the end of the day,a win is a win and it,s not just down to luck,the run of the balls,coincidence if a player keeps gettin far in or even goes on to win many tournaments.

I was in the mood for doin a wee summary today. :-) <laugh>

Who,ll win today and become the Masters champ 2013,i haven,t got a bl**dy clue!.:-)

An easier question would be,who would i like to win,well,i aint that bovered tbh,the icing on the cake would be if Robbo leads by 3,4 frames and Selbs yet again comes back and wins on yet another decider!.. :dizzy: <laugh>

Postby GJ

hendo fan

Robbo is aiming to do a hendo by defending the title

higgins and ronnie havnt done it i believe .............

Postby hendry_fan

GJ wrote:hendo fan

Robbo is aiming to do a hendo by defending the title

higgins and ronnie havnt done it i believe .............

Wow,GJ,i,m impressed,verrrry impressed,you,re absolutely right,FOR ONCE!. ;-) <laugh>

Both Higgins and Ronnie indeed have never won the Masters back to back before!.

Have a look at this,....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_%28snooker%29

In fact Only Hendry,Hunter and Thorburn have ever achieved this feat!.
Hendry won it a record 5 times on the trot!.

Postby hendry_fan

GJ wrote:5 in a row

LEGEND

Yep,amazing stuff,in fact he almost won it 6 times on the trot but was just pipped to the post 9-8 by "Angles" Alan McManus!.

Postby Casey

Selby slowed it down last night and it got to Dotty but I'm sure Neil will have watched that and be prepared for that style today.

I think Neil is playing too well and if both players play to the same level that got to the final then Neil will run away with it. Saying that though, it's the final, big prize on the line and history on offer to both.

Postby GJ

tend to agree on match length rexy

COME ONNNNNN

ROBBOOOOOOOOO

Postby PLtheRef

Casey wrote:Selby slowed it down last night and it got to Dotty but I'm sure Neil will have watched that and be prepared for that style today.

I think Neil is playing too well and if both players play to the same level that got to the final then Neil will run away with it. Saying that though, it's the final, big prize on the line and history on offer to both.

Neil also has the experience of playing Selby at York where Selby slowed the game down and once he got to within 4-3 you knew that Robertson had gone.

Neil needs to be able to combat Selby when he does try to slow it down. That said, Selby played attacking snooker in his previous three finals.

10-8 to Mark I reckon it will be. With this coming a little too soon after York. That said, if Neil can get ahead and focus his mind, he has every chance.

Postby Simone

Selby has a chance to follow UK-title with Masters now, and then possibly Worlds later ! Did even Hendry won those big three during the same season in the 90´s ? Who was the last player to do that if anyone has ?

Postby Skullman

MJW was the last to do it in 2002/3. Hendry has done it twice I think, can't remember which years and Davis has done it once (1988/9?) Also, Higgins has held all three titles at once but didn't win them in the same season.

Edit: Davis did it in 1987/8, and Hendry did it in 1989/90 and 1995/6
Last edited by Skullman on 20 Jan 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Smart

PLtheRef wrote:
Casey wrote:Selby slowed it down last night and it got to Dotty but I'm sure Neil will have watched that and be prepared for that style today.

Neil also has the experience of playing Selby at York where Selby slowed the game down and once he got to within 4-3 you knew that Robertson had gone.

Neil needs to be able to combat Selby when he does try to slow it down. That said, Selby played attacking snooker in his previous three finals.

10-8 to Mark I reckon it will be. With this coming a little too soon after York. That said, if Neil can get ahead and focus his mind, he has every chance.

you say that like Jono is some sort of speed demon, he is far from it.......this will be a battle, both are capable of scoring well but both have positional weakness and get drawn into scrappy turgid frames.

Jono is classless, mechanic, ice rattling, coughing, CAUC

Wiggy is turgid, swaying, non funny but thinks hes funny, CAUC

Postby SnookerFan

Robbo pulled out some immense shots yesterday, I thought.

Postby GJ

dont hold back rexy

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Postby Simone

Skullman wrote:MJW was the last to do it in 2002/3. Hendry has done it twice I think, can't remember which years and Davis has done it once (1988/9?) Also, Higgins has held all three titles at once but didn't win them in the same season.

Edit: Davis did it in 1987/8, and Hendry did it in 1989/90 and 1995/6

Okay! Thanks for information.

Postby Casey

PLtheRef wrote:

Robbo fans will hope that he learnt from that match. Too much on the line to let it get to him again. I do think over all though that Robbo's break building will see him through.

Postby GJ

casey

Robbo doesnt seem to have to get mental scars

This is a massive test of that though

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:COME ON SELBY

i just hope Selby keeps his cool today and doesnt get frustrated when Robbos snooker negativity kicks in

hahahaha, you stupid hammer - they both do it - both as bad as each other, Jono is worse for it but what Selby does when he is losing is change completely - the tempo of the match goes from average to turgid - just like that.

For both its win at all costs, and one of those costs is entertainment. Both players should be reminded that without a crowd there is no tournament and as such they have a obligation to entertain, despite CAUC status.