Post a reply

Re: Betfair Masters Round 1 Discussion !

Postby Monique

snooky147 wrote:
Casey wrote:Carter has won two tournaments beating two 40 year old players in the final who never previously had played in a final.

He won't win the Masters.

I dont think he will either, just saying dont be surprised if he beats higgins.

Burnett was born in September 1975, so he was just 35 when he played Ali in the final of the Shanghai Masters. He isn't a top player, but then before reaching the final Ali had to beat 4 opponents, including Selby in the semis.
Similarly when Ali won the Welsh Open, yes he played Swail who isn't the player he was for quite some time, but before that he beat Murphy and Dott en route to it.
I don't understand why so many see Ali as a second rate player. Nobody "flukes" two world finals. Last season, he beat Trump and Maguire to get there. He's a very, very good match player with first class safety. He's playing well recently and his run to the semis in the UK is evidence of that as is his performance in the CL over the last four days.
Higgins is playing well also, but he hasn't a great record in the Masters. It's been a bit all or nothing in that tournament and indeed Ali could well beat him.

Postby Skullman

I agree that Ali is underrated (the most underrated player in the top16 imo) but the thing is he seems to be unable to play his best again Higgins (and Ronnie, but that won't matter unless he decides to come back). Plus Higgins openly said that he didn't feel comfortable at Wembley, while he seems to like the Ally Pally. I can't see him beating Higgins although if he somehow got past him, there is a chance he could win the whole thing.

PS I don't get how people don't seem to count his ranking victories. It seems as silly as those people who tourist Robbo off for beating qualifiers in some of his ranking finals as if that makes them worth any less.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
PS I don't get how people don't seem to count his ranking victories. It seems as silly as those people who tourist Robbo off for beating qualifiers in some of his ranking finals as if that makes them worth any less.

Ranking victory is a Ranking Victory however some seems to point to the fact Selby was Equal with Carter achievement of Winning 2 ranking events (prior to the UK) Conveniently forgetting Selby had 2 Masters and Beat better more Accomplished players in Finals.

taking nothing away from Ali but that is the Case.

Postby Alpha

What everyone is forgetting is that even though Higgins Wembley record was largely underwhelming for a player of his calibre, he was still a two time winner there (including THAT 2006 win over O'Sullivan) and he reached two other finals. Not so easy to lovely lady off and a record that Carter would kill for.
Carter is a good player but he has got a poor record in the Masters and a poor record against Higgins. I don't see that changing next week.

Postby Andre147

Alpha wrote:What everyone is forgetting is that even though Higgins Wembley record was largely underwhelming for a player of his calibre, he was still a two time winner there (including THAT 2006 win over O'Sullivan) and he reached two other finals. Not so easy to lovely lady off and a record that Carter would kill for.
Carter is a good player but he has got a poor record in the Masters and a poor record against Higgins. I don't see that changing next week.

No one is forgetting Higgins has won 2 Masters titles, I certainly am not, plus 2 other finals, both lost to Ronnie. and if you read my earlier post would notice that I also pointed to the fact that most players would die for that "bad" record Higgins has. The point is Higgins himself says he doesnt like to play in those bigger venues(though he now prefers the Ally Pally more) and also has lost on numerous occasions first round at the Masters, and that's why some say he won't win it this year, I myself don't think he will.

But then again Higgins can just suddently turn up and start hiting form like he did in shanghai earlier this season against Trump, and when that man is in that kind of form I'm afraid no one can stop him, maybe an inspired Robbo or Selby even.

I also don't think Carter will win his match against john, but I always rated him highly and he's a great player, sometimes bottles against certain top players like Higgins and Ronnie. Nevertheless, I don't expect an easy win for John, unless Carter totally collapses, which I can't see happening cause he's mental side now is better than it was in the past.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't think anybody is claiming that Ali Carter is a mug. He isn't. As said, he's won two ranking titles. (Which involve beating several opponents, not just the opponent he played in the final.) He has also got to the Crucible final twice. Which is in itself an achievement. His big weakness in both those finals is that he seems to have a mental block when playing Ronnie, almost as if he is scared of him.

I actually went for a Carter win in the prediction league. That was much to do with Higgins record in this tournament more than anything. But I'm not underrating him.

But with respect to him, you'd hardly make him amongst the favourites to take the tournament, would you?

Postby Simone

SnookerFan wrote:I don't think anybody is claiming that Ali Carter is a mug. He isn't. As said, he's won two ranking titles. (Which involve beating several opponents, not just the opponent he played in the final.) He has also got to the Crucible final twice. Which is in itself an achievement. His big weakness in both those finals is that he seems to have a mental block when playing Ronnie, almost as if he is scared of him.

I actually went for a Carter win in the prediction league. That was much to do with Higgins record in this tournament more than anything. But I'm not underrating him.

But with respect to him, you'd hardly make him amongst the favourites to take the tournament, would you?

Ali never seems to have or had serious mentality to go tournaments to win those. Mabe that´s why he has so consistently fall short with some bottling jobs even he has a brilliant all-round game, including long-potting.

I think Ali benefitted when some years ago standards hit the roof. He was able to sail through the draws by just playing well since so many others were also.

I agree with you, can´t see him amongs the favourites as now things are.

Postby SnookerFan

It shows how much mental strength you need to be able to win consistently in this game. Whenever Ali plays Ronnie, he may as well just not bother turning up. He has the look of a man saying to himself; "This is Ronnie. No way am I winning this."

Having a good all round game isn't enough to see you consistently winning ranking tournaments on a long-term basis. You need to have the confidence to know you can beat anybody, and the nerves not to panic if your opponent is playing well.

Easier said than done, of course. But it's often the only difference between a good player, and a legendary one.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:It shows how much mental strength you need to be able to win consistently in this game. Whenever Ali plays Ronnie, he may as well just not bother turning up. He has the look of a man saying to himself; "This is Ronnie. No way am I winning this."

Having a good all round game isn't enough to see you consistently winning ranking tournaments on a long-term basis. You need to have the confidence to know you can beat anybody, and the nerves not to panic if your opponent is playing well.

Easier said than done, of course. But it's often the only difference between a good player, and a legendary one.

if a player has a air of invincibility it can make a great player look avarage.

in the 80s players was playing better than Steve Davis in a tournament but when they came up against him they were like fish out of water.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:if a player has a air of invincibility it can make a great player look avarage.

in the 80s players was playing better than Steve Davis in a tournament but when they came up against him they were like fish out of water.

That's true. I'm not suggesting that Carter can just 'snap out of it'. You have to reach the realisation that you can beat somebody yourself, nobody can tell you.

On saying that. Ronnie, though certainly a more naturally talented player than Davis, and perhaps in some people's opinion even a better player than Davis, I'm not sure he has the same air of being unbeatable that Davis or Hendry did in their pomp. When he's on form he certainly does. But Ronne has a weakness that when he gets frustrated, he starts beating himself up. If he does that against players like Higgins, Selby or Trump, he loses. There are plenty of other examples of player who aren't in Ronnie's league having beaten him, just because Ronnie wasn't in the mood that day.

Postby SnookerFan

Jewell wrote:It's easy to strut around like a peacock with all the confidence in the world, as Hendry did for much of the 90s, when you know there aren't any serious challengers to your supremacy.

The pressure started to tell, however, once the competition started to emerge and that's when Hendry fell down.

:roll:

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:It's easy to strut around like a peacock with all the confidence in the world, as Hendry did for much of the 90s, when you know there aren't any serious challengers to your supremacy.

The pressure started to tell, however, once the competition started to emerge and that's when Hendry fell down.

its easy being a goof on forums you prove just how easy it is <ok>

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:You got the week off Snookerfan?

Damn Sixth Form!!

Yeah, booked the week off on Annual Leave. I'm up at the Ally Pally a few times too. :D

have a great week S/fan, and I hope you enjoy your time at the AP <ok>

I am gonna catch what I can, but will miss most of the midweek afternoon sessions. I hope to get out of work early on Friday so that I can catch the whole of that semi (not sure which players might feature from that half of the draw). :wave:

Postby Smart

Monique wrote:Before it starts I paid the venue a visi ... here are the pictures http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 027f4ab8b0

cool shot, actually looks a nice arena despite not being that low a ceiling, the thing I really dislike is that 6 foot moat around the playing arena, meaning front row charlies are actually nowhere near the action. C'mon DING !!!!!!!!!!!! :xmas1:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
have a great week S/fan, and I hope you enjoy your time at the AP <ok>

I am gonna catch what I can, but will miss most of the midweek afternoon sessions. I hope to get out of work early on Friday so that I can catch the whole of that semi (not sure which players might feature from that half of the draw). :wave:

Thanks, man. I probably won't be having my usual quantity snack and beer accompaniment this week. I am trying to cut back. Though may start tomorrow with a champion's breakfast in a greasy spoon, so I can stay out all day without needing anything else to eat. :spot on:

Postby SnookerFan

And moving on to the match itself, I think Ding vs Robertson is the big one of the first round. They've saved the best until, errr, first.

It's hard to tell who is going to win, and it depends which Ding turns up. Apparently, I picked Ding to win the game in the Prediction League. I tend to guess, so I can never remember what I've predicted.

I really don't go with that as a certainty though. If Robertson can put some early pressure on Ding, Ding may let his head drop.

Really top match to start the tournament with a bang. And glad it's one I have tickets to.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:And moving on to the match itself, I think Ding vs Robertson is the big one of the first round. They've saved the best until, errr, first.

It's hard to tell who is going to win, and it depends which Ding turns up. Apparently, I picked Ding to win the game in the Prediction League. I tend to guess, so I can never remember what I've predicted.

I really don't go with that as a certainty though. If Robertson can put some early pressure on Ding, Ding may let his head drop.

Really top match to start the tournament with a bang. And glad it's one I have tickets to.

Which row of seats do you have tickets to?

Postby Smart

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:And moving on to the match itself, I think Ding vs Robertson is the big one of the first round. They've saved the best until, errr, first.

yes which row :wave:

Postby Witz78

what a crap arena set up

compare it to the conference centre?

why cant they have the banks of seats closer to the action?

why cant they have banks of seats on all 4 sides (the entrance bit and commentary booth hardly needs a full side to itself)

Postby Andre147

Witz78 wrote:what a crap arena set up

compare it to the conference centre?

why cant they have the banks of seats closer to the action?

why cant they have banks of seats on all 4 sides (the entrance bit and commentary booth hardly needs a full side to itself)

Yes I agree, still not perfect, but definately better than the Wembley arena. yeah the Conference Center had seats on all sides, but what's gone is gone.

This is still a good arena, but for me the best one we have in the game right is by far the Tempodrom for the German masters, kinda brings that feel of the old Conference Center doesn't it... and of course the Crucible will always be there with the best for it's history, setup, how close people are to the action and its atmosphere.

But yeah I agree that the old feel of that big arena from the Masters is long gone.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:

Row D seat 156 and 157.

And before Witz says it, I've got a mate coming. It's not because I'm so fat I take up two seats. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Yes I agree, still not perfect, but definately better than the Wembley arena. yeah the Conference Center had seats on all sides, but what's gone is gone.

This is still a good arena, but for me the best one we have in the game right is by far the Tempodrom for the German masters, kinda brings that feel of the old Conference Center doesn't it... and of course the Crucible will always be there with the best for it's history, setup, how close people are to the action and its atmosphere.

But yeah I agree that the old feel of that big arena from the Masters is long gone.

The Arena was a bit crap.

Saying that, I find the downside to the Ally Pally is how it's situated on a massive piece of land. So it's a 15 minute walk from the entrance to the Ally Pally to the bit that shows the snooker. There's a massive amount on the land including and ice-rink, a boat-rink a pinch and putt golf course. What I'm saying is, unless you want arena food and beer it's not exactly convenient to nip out and do something in the surrounding arena. You can't leave for 10 minutes to go to McDonalds. And also, they seemed to be one sent of toilets each. When I was up for Ronnie and Ding last year, there was close to 2000 people. You'd have to wait forever to go for a snake hiss.

But it obviously got something about it. A lot more people turned up to matches last year than did for Wembley, especially ones on during weekdays.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Row D seat 156 and 157.

And before Witz says it, I've got a mate coming. It's not because I'm so fat I take up two seats. rofl

Are you going with your boyfriend?