Post a reply

Betfair Masters Round 1 Discussion !

Postby Wildey

Sunday 15th - Sunday 22nd of January at Alexandra Palace, London

Second year at Alexandra Palace and Neil Robertson will be defending his title with a tough opener against the 2011 Champion Ding Junhui.

After 19 consecutive Masters appearances Ronnie O'Sullivan has given it a miss for personal reasons but it gives opportunities for other players. Mark Davis gets a spot due to Ronnie's withdrawal. Mark has played in the Masters before at the Wembley Conference Centre in 2003 where he lost 6-5 to Alan McManus in the Wild Card Round, but this year he will be back as a Top 16 seed.

After capturing the UK Championship just before Christmas twice champion Mark Selby will be hoping to add a third Masters.

Disappointment from Judd Trump in the defense of his UK Title so he will be hoping to get back to winning ways this time.

DRAW

Round 1

Neil Robertson v Ding Junhui
Mark Allen v Mark Davis
Shaun Murphy v Ricky Walden
John Higgins v Allister Carter
--------------------------------------------------
Mark Selby v Stuart Bingham
Mark Williams v Matthew Stevens
Stephen Maguire v Graeme Dott
Judd Trump v Barry Hawkins

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Betfair Masters Round 1 Discussion !

Postby Casey

Actually Davis took Stephen Lee's spot ;)

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to the tournament. For me it's between -

Trump
Robbo
Murphy
Selby
Allen
Ding

In that order.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:talking of Lee any chance of them reaching a verdict??

This suspending players is a nonsense

should be innocent till proven guilty.

At the time the news broke I said February/March time but at this rate he might not be back to defend his PTC GF title.

Postby GJ

Hope robbo got some medicine for that pre christmas issue

:mood:

Postby SnookerFan

I know this was put up on twitter and facebook a week or two ago, so don't jump down my throat. But I saw the BBC's advert for The Masters last night on BBC 4. It was the first time I saw it. All it is is a load of balls rolling around the table, which then turn into paint sploshing around on the baize. And it says something about snooker being an art.

The BBC never did make massive efforts in making snooker look exciting, did they? :-D

Postby daraghj82

some great games, especially ding v robbo,

i think the winner will come

from

judd, robbo, selby or higgins , i'll going for selby to win it for the 3rd time

Postby daraghj82

i presume they are using the smaller arena and not the bigger one used for the pdc WDC ?

Postby Roland

They played there last year and used one of the other rooms. I've not been there myself but it definitely wasn't in the big hall the darts is played in.

Some tipsters have chosen Carter for some reason, probably to be different but he's got Higgins in Round 1 which means he's going home in Round 1.

I'm going for Selby, he's the man in form. Selby v Judd semi would be good.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:They played there last year and used one of the other rooms. I've not been there myself but it definitely wasn't in the big hall the darts is played in.

Some tipsters have chosen Carter for some reason, probably to be different but he's got Higgins in Round 1 which means he's going home in Round 1.

I'm going for Selby, he's the man in form. Selby v Judd semi would be good.

It's the same room as the Table Tennis, in fact the same set up of seating and all.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Some tipsters have chosen Carter for some reason, probably to be different but he's got Higgins in Round 1 which means he's going home in Round 1.

yea ive seen his name mentioned and for the Life of me i cant think WHY?

Theres no evidence of Form to really Back that up.

Postby snooky147

Skullman wrote:Plus Carter can't beat Higgins to save his life. His H2H against him is almost as bad as his against Ronnie.

Your all forgetting Higgins habit of first round exits in this.

Postby Casey

Carter has won two tournaments beating two 40 year old players in the final who never previously had played in a final.

He won't win the Masters.

Postby snooky147

Casey wrote:Carter has won two tournaments beating two 40 year old players in the final who never previously had played in a final.

I dont think he will either, just saying dont be surprised if he beats higgins.

Postby Casey

snooky147 wrote:
Casey wrote:Carter has won two tournaments beating two 40 year old players in the final who never previously had played in a final.

True, true. Despite the different venues, Higgins struggles in round 1 - losing 11 times I think.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
snooky147 wrote:

True, true. Despite the different venues, Higgins struggles in round 1 - losing 11 times I think.

well we will be having a rehearsal tonight in the CL from the home of ali. the only way is essex.

Postby hendry_fan

snooky147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:Plus Carter can't beat Higgins to save his life. His H2H against him is almost as bad as his against Ronnie.

Very good points!!. <ok>

The tourney has,nt even bl**dy started yet! <laugh> ,most players form comes and goes like the weather but if i had just one choice to name the winner,then i,ll go for Selby!.

It would,nt half be somethin if Higgins was to win the title out of nowhere would it!,i mean we have absolutely no idea what frame of mind he,s gonna be in or what kind of form he,s gonna bring,he might shock us all and show us some brilliant snooker,i can,t see it happening though,but it would,nt be the first time that he pulls some wizardry out of nowhere or he might bring his B-game and win it. <laugh>

As far as Carters concerned,he,s about as much chance of winning this tourney as he has of knockin in a *155* break!. ;-) <laugh>

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:
snooky147 wrote:

Very good points!!. <ok>

The tourney has,nt even bl**dy started yet! <laugh> ,most players form comes and goes like the weather but if i had just one choice to name the winner,then i,ll go for Selby!.

It would,nt half be somethin if Higgins was to win the title out of nowhere would it!,i mean we have absolutely no idea what frame of mind he,s gonna be in or what kind of form he,s gonna bring,he might shock us all and show us some brilliant snooker,i can,t see it happening though,but it would,nt be the first time that he pulls some wizardry out of nowhere or he might bring his B-game and win it. <laugh>

As far as Carters concerned,he,s about as much chance of winning this tourney as he has of knockin in a *155* break!. ;-) <laugh>

Agree, Higgins very often has a bad habit of just when we think he's out of form with recent results, come up in a tourney and all of a sudden win it, most often with his B or C or whatever game like you said. I honestly don't think he'll win it, cause he has a bad record at this event (mind you, he has won it 2 times nevertheles, most players would wish to have that bad record in the Masters, but you know what I mean) so for me it's Selby, Robbo or Trump, in that order.

Postby Andre147

Ding too might also come out of nowhere and start hitting some form, it woulndt be the first time with thats for sure. If he somehow wins his match against Robbo, which he obivously can, then I fancy him to reach at least the semis, if not the final.

Postby SnookerFan

That's certainly true of Ding. He has a habit of suddenly playing well, winning a tournament and reminding you of how good he is. It isn't always after a run of decent form either.

Postby Wildey

Sunday 13th of January

1pm

Neil Robertson v Ding Junhui

7pm

Mark Allen v Mark Davis

Day 1 TV Schedule

BBC 2
1pm-5pm

Eurosport 2
1pm-4pm
6.30pm-11pm